When do you need your passport?

cnjoy26

Going on my second cruise on freedom of the seas in March and just confused about one thing. On our last cruise, some ports we needed to carry our passport off and sometimes we didn’t, if I remember correctly. How do you know what you need to leave the boat? Is it on the screens, or in the cruise compass? We are going to st Thomas, Antigua, Barbados, st Lucia and st maarten. Anybody know if you need the passports off/on the ship at any of these places? Thanks!!

16 minutes ago, cnjoy26 said:

Going on my second cruise on freedom of the seas in March and just confused about one thing. On our last cruise, some ports we needed to carry our passport off and sometimes we didn’t, if I remember correctly. How do you know what you need to leave the boat? Is it on the screens, or in the cruise compass? We are going to st Thomas, Antigua, Barbados, st Lucia and st maarten. Anybody know if you need the passports off/on the ship at any of these places? Thanks!!

You only need a piece of government photo ID at the ports.  There are no ports that require a passport as you do not need a passport for a closed loop cruise out of the US.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

You will  not require your passport for any of your ports.  You will hear from others or read here that you should take your passport off with you in any foriegn port.  That is a matter of personal opinion and many cruisers do that but you do not have to for your ports if you do not want to.  You should bring some form of photo ID.  Most use a DL.

We have been to all those ports multiple times and have never NEEDED our passport. We have always taken ours with us as I am one of those that would never be in a foreign country without my passport. If you do not want to bring your passport ashore, a government issued photo ID such as a driver's license will suffice.

I'm interested in this too.

Our last 2 cruises when leaving the ship the cruise compass has always said to take your passport. I'm happy to do so, however my Mum not so much. When leaving the ship (Oasis) she asked if she needed to bring it and the man who was letting people off the ship said "yes, or you won't be able to get back on." (He was serious too.) 

Anyway, once we got back on the ship we didn't even need to get our passports out just sea pass card! 

This happened at every port, our passports were never checked. Now we just make sure we have our drivers license and we take a picture on our phone of the photo passport page. 

We have asked a few staff about the passport thing, some say yes some say no. We're cruising in March and will see what happens then. 

7 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You only need a piece of government photo ID at the ports.  There are no ports that require a passport as you do not need a passport for a closed loop cruise out of the US.

Cuba

8 hours ago, cnjoy26 said:

What were the ports on your last cruise?  I suspect that you are remembering incorrectly; passports may have been suggested, but if it was a closed loop cruise from a US port, you did not NEED to have passports at all, let alone to get into port or back on the ship after a port visit.  You needed your ship card, and may have needed a photo ID, but not specifically a passport.  (Unless perhaps your cruise went to Cuba and you would have needed a passport for that cruise.)

I've always left my passport on the ship. However, a friend of mine was visiting Paris (and yes I know it's unlikely you'd be in Paris on a cruise) and while she and some friends were on the train, police were randomly asking for ID's/passports.  Luckily they all had theirs on them but she said the officer told her they don't recognize US issued driver's licenses as proof of ID. Maybe a photo of the passport would have sufficed? in the case they didn't have them? But just wondering if this is common practice in Europe (to be asked for your passport)? 

33 minutes ago, erby2283 said:

I've always left my passport on the ship. However, a friend of mine was visiting Paris (and yes I know it's unlikely you'd be in Paris on a cruise) and while she and some friends were on the train, police were randomly asking for ID's/passports.  Luckily they all had theirs on them but she said the officer told her they don't recognize US issued driver's licenses as proof of ID. Maybe a photo of the passport would have sufficed? in the case they didn't have them? But just wondering if this is common practice in Europe (to be asked for your passport)? 

some Countries require you to carry your passport 

the cruise lines usually tell you  when it is required

France & The Netherlands come to mind

If not required we leave them on the ship

10 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

some Countries require you to carry your passport 

the cruise lines usually tell you  when it is required

France & The Netherlands come to mind

If not required we leave them on the ship

Unless things have changed recently, and I don't remember being required to carry our passports when in France. And I have been there over a dozen times over the last two decades on business, land vacations, and cruises.

Edited by SantaFeFan

I totally understand not needing a passport for most Caribbean ports.

BUT, if you are delayed due to legal or medical reasons, causing you to miss getting back onboard the ship, you are going to wish that you had a passport in your possession to be able to leave that country with less hassle.

Just a thought........

1 minute ago, SantaFeFan said:

Unless things have changed recently, and I don't remember being required to carry our passports when in France. And I have been there over a dozen times over the last two decades on business, land vacations, and cruises.

Maybe you were never requested to produce  it  once in the Country

We carry ours  but no one has asked to see it but as noted above others have been asked for it

better to have it with you in case you need it

JMO

A. If a passport is REQUIRED for your particular cruise, the cruise line will let you know way in advance.

B.  If you are REQUIRED to take your passport with you in a particular port, that information will be promulgated

numerous times while on board. Don't fret, just read the daily newsletter, whatever your cruise line calls it.

C. If neither A, nor B, then it's all personal choice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jayscore said:

BUT, if you are delayed due to legal or medical reasons, causing you to miss getting back onboard the ship, you are going to wish that you had a passport in your possession to be able to leave that country with less hassle.

Just a thought........

With my luck, I’d be delayed because I was at the Police Station getting a crime report for my stolen passport! 😁

4 hours ago, erby2283 said:

Not uncommon.

Many countries require everyone to carry national ID at all times.  Many countries have national ID cards, that are mandatory.

18 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

The OP (and likely her mother) is from the UK, and I suspect the WHTI exception for passports for closed loop cruises would not apply. 

As for taking one's passport off ship in ports, the cruise staff should clarify.

Edited by pms4104

3 minutes ago, pms4104 said:

The OP (and likely her mother) is from the UK, and I suspect the WHTI exception for passports for closed loop cruises would not apply. 

As for taking one's passport off ship in ports, the cruise staff should clarify.

They would need the passport to board the ship....that’s all.  At the ports a piece of photo ID would suffice.

3 hours ago, jayscore said:

Just a thought........

As has been discussed many times before in many, many such threads, the cruise lines will look in your safe for a passport if it appears you will miss the ship. If they find it, it will be turned over to the cruise line's port representative, who will give it to you when you finally arrive. I have seen them do exactly that several times while watching the departure from my balcony. Cruise lines don't like upsetting their customers and follow that procedure as simple courtesy to try to provide you with assistance in what will be an awkward time for you.  

If you know you will be late for any reason, if possible call the port rep and inform him of the situation. His phone number is always in the ship's daily newsletter. We always take it with us, or take a photo of the page with our phones. 

Edited by SantaFeFan