Need help with my cabin mate cancelling...

kath00

Hello all.  I am a long time seasoned cruiser but I am in a situation with a HAL cruise coming up in 2 weeks that I dunno what to do with.  My friend and I were supposed to travel on March 1st and she told me tonight that she cannot go.  She does have her own insurance (and I have my own too) so I am assuming she will use her insurance if it is a covered reason to get reimbursed, but I still want to go.  Can someone tell me what my options are?  Can I bring someone else and change the name (I am listed first) and I am sure she or her insurance would have to pay up for her half of the cabin but would the new person have to pay again for the half?  Or is that even possible?

If not, and since I don't want to sail alone, what if I cancel my half of the reservation too?  Will my Allianz insurance cover that?  UGH.  I have never been in this position and it sucks!

From your post I am sure that final payment has gone so I can only tell you of my experience.  My sister and I were supposed to cruise together two years ago.  A week before we left I was hospitalized for pneumonia.  Dr. said no cruise for me.  So my sister got her husband to go with her.  Hal changed the name from mine to her husband's but they charged her $800.00 to do it.  The good news is that the following year we did cruise together and I got better.  Good luck and I hope you have a great cruise and maybe you and your friend will be able to cruise again in the future.

I know you said you didn't want to sail alone, but I hate the thought of you not going.

Think about sailing solo, there are solo cruisers on every ship and several posts on the board that can help you decide.  There is a solo get together I believe the first night onboard, choose as you wish dining and sit with others for dinner.  I am planning my first solo cruise for a future date and am very excited about it after ready a lot of different posts on the cc boards from other solo cruisers.  

Think about it.....it may just be the best decision.

Reading from what others have said, unless you find someone soon to sail in the cabin with you, you may get charged double for sailing solo in a double cabin.  In other words, you may get hit with a big bill during the cruise or once you are home.

I doubt if your insurance will pay you anything for cancelling without being ill yourself.

Do phone and check with your insurance.  On the last cruise I did with a friend it covered us if one of us cancelled.  Thankfully we both could go.  I’m like you, I’m not sure I’d go alone even though I’ve been on lots of cruises.  I hope it works out for you.  

HAL says:

Name changes require the prior approval of Holland America Line and may not always be possible. Cruise contracts are nontransferable. Name changes and departure date changes are considered reservation cancellations and are subject to cancellation fees.

I take that to mean that you would be cancelling the entire reservation and re-booking whether you found someone new to go with you or sailed solo. As a solo you would have to pay the single supplement.

Edited by catl331
  • Like 1

I would go on the trip, just go and enjoy yourself. 

I am not sure why Holland America would issue a bill for double the cruise fare because your cruise is already paid in full.  They are not losing any money if your friend doesn’t go.   They could assess double gratuity charges and if this happens I would remove the second half of the auto gratuity.  

For any travel issues or cancelations, always check with with your credit card company.  High end cards have generous travel insurance with language covering  “travel companions”.  

• Like 2

It depends on the type of coverage you bought from Allianz. Check to see if it pays the single supplement in case of your roommates cancellation. (If it does, her reason for canceling may play into whether it will pay the SS). 

Or maybe HAL will allow a name change for a reasonable amount. 

If you sail alone alone you can expect to pay the single supplement.  Canceling one person is a reservation cancellation.

49 minutes ago, sammiedawg said:

I would go on the trip, just go and enjoy yourself. 

I am not sure why Holland America would issue a bill for double the cruise fare because your cruise is already paid in full.  They are not losing any money if your friend doesn’t go.   They could assess double gratuity charges and if this happens I would remove the second half of the auto gratuity.  

For any travel issues or cancelations, always check with with your credit card company.  High end cards have generous travel insurance with language covering  “travel companions”.  

I agree with this. Call HAL to confirm but they've been paid so why should they care if you have the stateroom to yourself? 

We met a lovely woman who was traveling alone on our last cruise. We played trivia with her every day but she seemed to be enjoying herself. 

I seem to recall a similar situation posted here a few months ago. I think a person's adult son was last minute unable to go. Final payment had been made. I think the poster updated about what they did and it worked out well for them. If I could use the search function with any success I might be able to find it. 

• Like 1

If your friend is canceling for a reason covered under her policy she is likely going to file a claim, and will have to cancel to get paid. 

It is is considered a rebooking if the remaining person goes alone. Expect a single supplement to apply. Your policy may or may not cover the SS.

Here is an interesting link. It may help you figure out what coverage you have. (I have no affiliation with this site other than it is one of the places I have purchased insurance.)

https://tripinsurancestore.com/cancel-for-any-reason-travel-insurance-plans/

30 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

I seem to recall a similar situation posted here a few months ago. I think a person's adult son was last minute unable to go. Final payment had been made. I think the poster updated about what they did and it worked out well for them. If I could use the search function with any success I might be able to find it. 

Was there insurance involved? I recall several threads in the last few months where there was no insurance involved (so less benefit to “cancel” formally) and a few that had HALs Platinum.

OP has “private” insurance.

2 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Was there insurance involved? I recall several threads in the last few months where there was no insurance involved (so less benefit to “cancel” formally) and a few that had HALs Platinum.

OP has “private” insurance.

I really thought private insurance was involved. I think that is what perked up my ears since we always go that route now. But I could be wrong. I wish the search function worked the way it used to. Sigh. 

Yes. Me too on the search function.

Another point of wonder is whether Coverage is affected if both people involved have different insurance companies, which OP implied. (If OP is covered for SS, does it matter that they have different insurances?)

• Like 1

This sounds correct but it doesn't answer the question if she wants to cancel.  Only her insurance can answer that.

If she wants a new travelling companion she needs to talk to HAL if booked direct or her TA otherwise. Probably before the other booking is cancelled. 

In a similar situation my experience was WONDERFUL and different from what many above say.  Read your insurance policy CAREFULLY!  About 7 days prior to a 21 day cruise my cabin mate had a Medical Emergency, could not cruise.  She was fully reimbursed her costs.  I had a CHOICE!  Full refund for me if I elected not to sail ORR they would fully cover any single supplement costs.  It worked perfectly smoothly, although I did have to put the single supplement on a Credit Card - not actually charged at the time and voided once I had the proper paperwork in at the end to the cruise that supported her need to cancel.  

I elected to go alone because I really needed a break from work and winter weather.  It turned out to be one of the most fun cruises I have been on.  For one thing - many other passengers felt sorry for me and invited me to join them for shore activities, parties, cocktails, etc.  Plus - I simply did what I wanted to do, a most relaxing option.

Here is a thought: As a good will gesture due to the position you are left in now, your cancelling friend should/could offer you half of what she gets on her ticket to pay for whatever single upgrade you might have to face should you decide to go this alone - also recommended. I think you will be pleasantly surprised how  nice this solo cruising option might turn out for you (other than any unfortunate double cost). 

31 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Yes. Me too on the search function.

Another point of wonder is whether Coverage is affected if both people involved have different insurance companies, which OP implied. (If OP is covered for SS, does it matter that they have different insurances?)

Good point. 

So why not talk directly with HAL and your insurance company and decide based on the facts, not opinions. The private insurance we use will cover any costs involved with changing occupants or number of cruisers, but policies do vary. And yes, some lines (Viking, for example) charge a SIGNIFICANT up-charge for any change in cabin booking, even after paying in full. They also happen to offer an insurance policy, for an additional fee, to cover those additional charges. Willing to bet they make a "boatload" of money on that deal!

semi related question..

what if my roommate wants to disembark at a port a few days prior to end of cruise....i assume since the fare has been paid all way to the end that i wouldn't get hit with a single supplement for last few days alone...i am aware this would have to be cleared for him to leave ship early but curious if anyone has any experience with this?

Thanks for the input everyone.  The cruise is 14d so I am thinking I might be bored stiff alone.  I am still talking it out with my friend (remind me never to put myself into this position again) so I didn't call HAL to get the exact penalties, options, etc.  Needless to say, it is not a medical emergency that she "cannot go."  So likely my Allianz insurance (and hers) would not help either of us. 

I will keep you posted.  For now, I am hoping we can resolve this when she realizes how much money we both potentially are going to lose with her cavalier attitude.  Sigh... 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, kath00 said:

Thanks for the input everyone.  The cruise is 14d so I am thinking I might be bored stiff alone.  I am still talking it out with my friend (remind me never to put myself into this position again) so I didn't call HAL to get the exact penalties, options, etc.  Needless to say, it is not a medical emergency that she "cannot go."  So likely my Allianz insurance (and hers) would not help either of us. 

I will keep you posted.  For now, I am hoping we can resolve this when she realizes how much money we both potentially are going to lose with her cavalier attitude.  Sigh... 

Good lesson for all of us - anyone should have an indemnification agreement up front, when booking with a casual friend co-roommate.  Thanks for checking in and hope something can still work out best for you.  Though is sounds like maybe not traveling with your "cavalier friend" might be the best outcome. Nothing like traveling together to really get to know someone.

• Haha 1

Surely the cruise has been paid for by both of you.  If you turn up and your friend doesn't, it will just be treated as if she missed the boat. Nobody will have to pay anything extra.  You will have the cabin to yourself.  I think it would be marvellous.  Do what you want, when you want.