Is it possible to keep a B2B a secret?

Shadow9612

I've never done a B2B, so would appreciate insight from those who have. 

I would like to try to keep the 2nd portion of the B2B a secret until after we get on the ship - maybe a few days in...

Is this possible?  Is mention of the B2B brought up by the check-in agent ?  

Originally I had thought I'd keep it a secret until the last possinle moment, but then thought it would be nicer for them to be able to look forward to it throughout most of the 1st cruise as well!

Any insight or tidbits of advice would be appreciated 🙂

The agents at check in probably won't mention a B2B.  They really have no way of knowing about it.  To my knowledge, you do not need to check in for the 2nd cruise, or print an express pass.  Be careful if you order luggage tags for the 1st cruise, you might get a set for the 2nd on without asking (we were in a RS so the shore side concierge might have had them sent).

The first indication might be the letter received in your cabin for B2B guests detailing the procedures on turn around day.

Yes . Agree with what CHEZMARYLOU has posted. It all depends if you can contain the excitement. :classic_wink: On a few occasions our stateroom attendant has mentioned to us that he/she is aware of us doing a B2B cruise on the first day of the first leg during her/his introduction. Are you staying in the same stateroom for the second leg? 

Edited by davekathy

9 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Yes . Agree with what CHEZMARYLOU has posted. It all depends if you can contain the excitement. :classic_wink: On a few occasions our stateroom attendant has mentioned to us that he/she is aware of us doing a B2B cruise on the first day of the first leg during her/his introduction. Are you staying in the same stateroom for the second leg? 

Thank you!

My to do list:

1. Introduce myself to stateroom attendant and ask him/her to not mention B2B :classic_biggrin:

I've only done b2b's and never had anyone even the cabin steward mention the second portion. The luggage tags could be the bigger issue. You still need to do the check in for the second cruise. It will cause an issue if you don't.  

Why would you want to keep it a secret? By the way, the staff on the ship already knows that you will be on the next cruise. They know if you are remaining in the same cabin or switching. You will not need your booking information since you are in the system. if you did the online booking that you must do. You will receive instructions on what you do on turnaround day.

Edited by Orator

32 minutes ago, Orator said:

Why would you want to keep it a secret?

I had wanted to surprise the person I'm traveling with. 

When you normally get those "Oh no, it's coming to an end"-blues, I'd be able to say, "Why don't we stay on the ship!"  :classic_biggrin:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Shadow9612 said:

When you normally get those "Oh no, it's coming to an end"-blues, I'd be able to say, "Why don't we stay on the ship!"  :classic_biggrin:

You'll be able to do that so long as their booking documents are complete.

• Thanks 1

May they not want to pack differently/more  for a longer cruise? Whenever you spring it it will be a surprise, personally I would rather know ahead of time when I start deciding what to wear, what to do in port etc. 

But you know best what you lucky "surprisee" would like. It's a lovely thought whatever you decide. 

• Like 2

I hope that you've made sure that your companion hasn't made any appointments that would take place during the second leg of your b2b.  If your companion doesn't live with you, what kind of arrangements has he made for the care of his pets (if any)?  How long will his mail be held?  How long will his delivery of newspapers be stopped?

11 minutes ago, Shadow9612 said:

Really nice idea!!

Be sure to handle the mail, any pet boarding (keep the extension a secret or contact them from the ship you are coming back later than expected)

Would love this myself... so fun!

34 minutes ago, jo-b said:

May they not want to pack differently/more  for a longer cruise? Whenever you spring it it will be a surprise, personally I would rather know ahead of time when I start deciding what to wear, what to do in port etc. 

But you know best what you lucky "surprisee" would like. It's a lovely thought whatever you decide. 

I was just thinking this. I would need different amounts of shampoo, etc.  What about meds?  While this is a really sweet surprise, only OP knows the other traveler well enough to know if this would be a stressful surprise.  For myself, the planner of the group, I might find it stressful to not know ahead. 

37 minutes ago, jo-b said:

May they not want to pack differently/more  for a longer cruise?

@jo-b @Julie MacCoy @Fogfog @sr4mjc - thank you for your insights.  

I agree that it would be stressful thinking "I'll be back home" on a certain day, and then all of a sudden someone else 'decides' that you won't be home for another 7 days. 

So, I thought what I would do is plan the total vacation time up front with the person (e.g. they know they'd be away for 2 weeks), but the only difference is they'd think it's a 7 day post-cruise land vacation, that then actually becomes a second cruise.  

Admittedly this might not be as exciting of a surprise, but it covers all of the other variables (meds, appointments, etc.) ??

Plus, I know that the person would prefer a cruise to a 7 day hotel stay.

I'm lucky they have no interest in any vacation planning logistics, so they wouldn't ask "what hotel are we staying at", etc.etc. 🙂

@sr4mjc - I'm with you, since I'm the planner in the group, I'd be stressed if I didn't know ahead of time lol !

• Like 3

What about meds? 

Oh my goodness, I completely forgot about meds!  I guess if the companion is the OP's spouse, the OP would know about meds, but what if the companion is a friend or close relative?  Do you know what meds your friends and relatives take?  I don't.

And what if this is one of those cruises where you really have to have at six months left on your passport?  What if the companion's passport has six months left from the time of the anticipated return, but not if the cruise is extended for a week or more?

Edited to add:  I see the OP and I cross-posted, so the problem about meds and appointments has been solved.  But can the OP be certain that the companion wouldn't want to know the name of the hotel?  Even though practically everyone, it seems, has a cellphone nowadays, isn't it possible that the companion might want to leave the hotel's telephone number with a friend or relative?

Edited by Julie MacCoy
responding to a cross-post

17 minutes ago, Julie MacCoy said:

And what if this is one of those cruises where you really have to have at six months left on your passport? 

@Julie MacCoy - this is one of the reasons I love Cruise Critic -- so many wonderful people thinking about all the things I may not think about!    I'll add verifying the passport to the list 🙂    With respect to hotel, I'm 99% sure.  We use email and cell phones while away.  If I'm asked prior to departure, I'll have to come up with a solution at that time 😉

• Like 1

OP,

I'd like to say that it should be a very appreciative surprise for whomever it is for. 

I'm sure you have thought of the details, that people are "picking apart".

I would think that your paperwork would most likely be the "Giveaway".

I wish somebody could surprise me, with something like what you are attempting to do!

• Thanks 1