On the Infinity in 2020: The Golden Girls Cruise!

jkgourmet

I loved and STILL watch that show, but With three out of four lovely ladies gone, I just don't get this one.  https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/golden-girls-themed-cruise-to-set-sail-in-2020/ar-BBTLcCV

They haven't chartered the entire ship, so if you're booked on the Feb 24th 2020 departure of the Infinity, you can look forward to seeing this:

image.thumb.png.bf196fafae57e7da9282f75bd4d5d6f1.png

Edited by jkgourmet

My daughter and I are booked for this sailing!  We can not wait!  We are both huge fans.  We went to NYC to eat at the Golden Girls Cafe, Rue La Rue Cafe!  It was wonderful - I was sorry to see it closed less than a year after opening - the location wasn't the best - almost an hour outside the city via the subway.  When Rue passed there was a huge estate sale - I was lucky enough to buy some items - they will be coming with us on the cruise!!  (estateofrue.com).

And I am VERY excited to hit Key West - it is one place I have never been!   

Kathy

14 hours ago, CapeCodFlyer said:

That cruise is going to be a hoot!  It also came up on my Facebook feed.  I wonder if they'll reprise the Valentine's special at Sunny Meadows?😍

Good God I hope not!!!!!  Thankfully we are sailing after V-Day!

27 minutes ago, kathyemma said:

My daughter and I are booked for this sailing!  We can not wait!  We are both huge fans.  We went to NYC to eat at the Golden Girls Cafe, Rue La Rue Cafe!  It was wonderful - I was sorry to see it closed less than a year after opening - the location wasn't the best - almost an hour outside the city via the subway.  When Rue passed there was a huge estate sale - I was lucky enough to buy some items - they will be coming with us on the cruise!!  (estateofrue.com).

And I am VERY excited to hit Key West - it is one place I have never been!   

Kathy

I'm so jealous.  This sounds like such a fun cruise!!  I wish I were on it with you!  you seem like lots of fun :)

Lisa N.

It would be SO awesome if it was a full charter.  I did the Star Trek cruise and they had the whole ship decorated like one of the star trek ships.  I'm sure this will be fun and if they ever rent out a whole ship for it I'm there!  Shady Pines of the Seas!

Whew! Glad I didn't book.  don't get me wrong, I loved the Golden Girls but I don't think I could take 5 days of people playing dress up and quoting the girls all day, every day.  I do know that DH would be even less impressed than me. To all of you who would love this, go and have a great time.  it's just not my thing.  I am so glad I dodged this bullet.  Now, I have to rethink my options.....

• Like 1

For those who have booked or are thinking of booking:  The charter company that is putting this together (Flip Phone Events) does primarily transsexual oriented events. Meaning drag shows. Not that there's anything wrong with that!

https://m.facebook.com/FlipPhone/events  (moderators - this is NOT a Facebook page associated with a cruise.  It's for an event company.)

Edited by jkgourmet

31 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

I can’t imagine them having that large a following that they would be able to charter an entire ship. I mean, aren’t their fans in the 80-90 age group?

Evidently, the event coordinator can't fill an entire ship.  Hence, other passengers can (and are) booking that cruise, some of whom will not be happy to find that many of the other passengers are in drag.  And taking over public places with frequent parties.

My husband just reminded me of a cruise we took many years ago.  I don't remember which company it was.  Turned out that about one third of the ship was chartered as a gay men's cruise.  I rather enjoyed the scenery at the pool.  🙂He didn't care much either way.  We both found it annoying that public areas were frequently closer for group events.  We both remember other passengers being pretty horrible.   Several told us that they were not going to eat at the buffet because they might catch AIDS.  I heard a few wanted refunds (I overheard this at the guest desk).

DH feels that the cruise line should release information on ALL special interest groups booked on a ship.  I see his point, but  I'm thinking that opens up a discrimination issue. 

2 hours ago, h20skibum said:

I can’t imagine them having that large a following that they would be able to charter an entire ship. I mean, aren’t their fans in the 80-90 age group?

I saw it pop up on Twitter, and scratched my head on this one.

For those that are fans, go enjoy and have fun.

Past Reviews post 184

My daughter and I going.  My daughter will be 21 (this will be her birthday gift).  We are HUGE fans.  She has watched this show every day since the day she was born.  We are both so excited!!!!

It looks like Infinity will have a lot of charters after the first of the year.

It has the Blue Note at Sea charter 1/25/20-2/1/20. Then 2/1/20-2/8/20 is the 20th anniversary Jazz cruise on Infinity.

Infinity has the Smooth Jazz cruise charter 1/18/20-1/25/20, with a second sailing on 3/14/20-3/21/20.

Past Reviews post 184

2 hours ago, jkgourmet said:

Evidently, the event coordinator can't fill an entire ship. 

Are they not ALLOWED to book the entire ship?  I guess and event is different than a charter?  Could it switch from an even to a charter?  They are not taking bookings anymore.  Anyone else interested has to join the wait list.

Kathy

2 minutes ago, kathyemma said:

Are they not ALLOWED to book the entire ship? 

They are allowed IF they are willing to take the financial risk of not being able to resell all those cabins.

I guess and event is different than a charter? Yes, it is.

Could it switch from an event to a charter?  They are not taking bookings anymore.  Anyone else interested has to join the wait list.  Actually, it's only FlipPhone Events that is not take bookings anymore.  Celebrity is still accepting reservations.  I hope that the passengers know what they are getting into. . .

Kathy

1 minute ago, jkgourmet said:

That makes sense.  But with all I have read online I think they would have been able to book the entire ship.  I have about 6 girl friends that wanted to go but they thought they would have more time - I thought I would have more time!  Thankfully I booked when I did!

I booked this cruise before it became a Golden Girls Cruise.   We got a S1 for $949pp plus tax. All the perks included and $500 SBC.  It would have been less if I could have got a S2 but they weren’t any available.  I only booked it because it was very cheap as I am sure those in the S2 did and it and it is right before another cruise we have on Mar 2, 2020. 

Not a fan of the Golden Girl show. Hopefully they won’t be blocking out a lot of venues or reserving a ton seats..

2017-05-13_Flip_Phone-Golden_Girls_Bar_Crawl-150.jpg
They don’t look like anyone I would want to be in a elevator or having a drink with.

Activitites and events:
  • Caftan Sail Away Party with Cheesecake

• A musical Golden Girls celebration with The Golden Gays NYC

• Golden Girls Forever Panel Discussion with Jim Colucci (Author of Golden Girls Forever) and Stan Zimmerman (writer of Golden Girls)

• The Rusty Anchor Karaoke Party

• Golden Girls Trivia

• Tempest DuJour’s Golden Girls Game Show

• Shady Pines Craft Corner

• Golden Girls Stage Shows and Drag Queens

• Key West Golden Girls Bar Crawl

• Golden Girls Costume Contest, Talent Show, and Fancy Dinner

• One Night in St. Olaf Dance Party (Including a game of Ugel and Flugel)

• Dorothy’s Bingo

• Plus much, much more

Thankfully we are in a suite and have Micheal’s and Luminae to escape to.  It isn’t anything to make me cancel the cruise and it looks as if there will be enough activities to keep them locked and busy  in their private functions 🙄.  I am sure they will enjoy it and have a great time.  

No matter what it should be a fun and lively (?) cruise.🤗

happy cruising🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

I booked this cruise a long time ago with 4 other couples, at a great price with perks.  I hadno idea this was happening on this sailing and it is making me a bit nervous to tell the others....

I am no overly excitted abouth this theme, and I am concerned about it taking over for regular events and activities.   This will be my brothe rin laws first cruise....

How does one find out if a particular sailing has a charter/group tour booking?

We had a sailing that a large-ish group of about 70-80  were on board and took over several public venues for private events--one being the Martini bar every evening as listed in the daily....

Never was a Golden Girls fan so this would not be our thing....

we are Blues Fans, Jazz Fans...and so that would be a fun thing for us to stumble upon...

So since Celebrity doesn't note it on their website that there is a large group/partial charter for a sailing--- how do we find out???

Edited by Fogfog

59 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

We had a sailing that a large-ish group of about 70-80  were on board and took over several public venues for private events--one being the Martini bar every evening as listed in the daily....

we are Blues Fans, Jazz Fans...and so that would be a fun thing for us to stumble upon...

So since Celebrity doesn't note it on their website that there is a large group/partial charter for a sailing--- how do we find out???

I just happened to stumble on it.  There are articles everywhere for this paticular cruise, and I have seen it advertised on my Facebook news feed.  
The best way I can think of is to google the dates and ship, see if anything comes up.  

On 2/27/2019 at 10:36 AM, Fogfog said:

You would have to google the ship's name/date and cross your fingers.

For a group of around you 80 you probably won't get a hit as it is private group.  It could be a wedding party that have booked several venues for private parties throughout the cruise.

If you are booked on a cruise would you like the cruise line to give out information to random people that you are booked on a particular cruise?  A party of 80 would be no different.