Prepaid tips vs cash

On 2/23/2019 at 2:42 PM, not-enough-cruising said:

By posting a link to the above website you have shot all chances you had at credibility. 

Waiting for anyone here to disprove Jim Walker.  You might not like him, but disliking someone doesn't mean they are wrong or inaccurate.  

On 2/21/2019 at 9:09 AM, Cruiselover0426 said:

At the buffet you serve yourself.  That is one of my things about the auto tipping.  I get my own food, I get my own drinks, I'm not tipping anyone for that.  Why should I?  I'm not on the ship to pay the salaries of the people hired to prepare the food and maintain the buffet.  Tips are for services rendered to me.  That is my opinion.

The waiters still have to bus the tables. I'm sure you aren't going to take your dirty dishes to the kitchen and clean your table. There are a lot of jobs in WJ that you don't see. Somebody has to keep the food in the buffet filled.

15 hours ago, Raysfun said:

The waiters still have to bus the tables. I'm sure you aren't going to take your dirty dishes to the kitchen and clean your table. There are a lot of jobs in WJ that you don't see. Somebody has to keep the food in the buffet filled.

It is silly to think we should have to tip someone who fills the food in the buffet or the other jobs in WJ that we don't see.

6 hours ago, springfire said:

It is silly to think we should have to tip someone who fills the food in the buffet or the other jobs in WJ that we don't see.

It's the same as a waiter bringing the food to your table. You're not going into the kitchen to get the food. Most people I know tip something even at a buffet. 

4 hours ago, Raysfun said:

It's the same as a waiter bringing the food to your table. You're not going into the kitchen to get the food. Most people I know tip something even at a buffet. 

The servers are behind the line.  How do they even do that?  

On 2/25/2019 at 9:39 PM, Raysfun said:

There are lots of jobs in my local restaurant that I don't see.  I do not tip those people.  Do you tip the sous chef in your local restaurant, how about the person that cleans the place?  This is ridiculous and out of hand.  People can and will handle tipping in their own way.  It is an optional, personal thing and nobody has a right to judge.  This is nuts!

On 2/26/2019 at 12:31 AM, Desert Cruizers said:

Hard working is self explanatory in the crews case, long hours 

They sign a contract and choose to work those hours.  How is it the passenger's responsibility to make that better?  It just doesn't make any sense.  I go on a cruise for a vacation.  I do not go on a cruise to feel sorry for the workers and pay their salaries. 

16 minutes ago, Cruiselover0426 said:

They sign a contract and choose to work those hours.  How is it the passenger's responsibility to make that better?  It just doesn't make any sense.  I go on a cruise for a vacation.  I do not go on a cruise to feel sorry for the workers and pay their salaries. 

When servers accept jobs in restaurants, they accept the super low wages knowing its a tipped position. Sure, there are jerks out their who don’t tip enough, but most are fair and generous. They don’t expect to be paid $2.13 an hour, otherwise, no on3 would take the job.

21 minutes ago, Cruiselover0426 said:

There are lots of jobs in my local restaurant that I don't see.  I do not tip those people.  Do you tip the sous chef in your local restaurant, how about the person that cleans the place?  This is ridiculous and out of hand.  People can and will handle tipping in their own way.  It is an optional, personal thing and nobody has a right to judge.  This is nuts!

But they get paid more. The pay structure on the mainstream cruise lines are pretty much all the same, if a line upped their prices and added the DSC to the fare, it would appear to be more expensive. If you don’t like the pay structure, cruise a line that includes it in the fare, simple.

3 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

When servers accept jobs in restaurants, they accept the super low wages knowing its a tipped position. Sure, there are jerks out their who don’t tip enough, but most are fair and generous. They don’t expect to be paid $2.13 an hour, otherwise, no on3 would take the job.

What?  Servers should be tipped.  People preparing the food, putting it on the buffet line, cleaning the floors etc. should not.  I don't get what you are getting at here.  

4 minutes ago, Cruiselover0426 said:

What?  Servers should be tipped.  People preparing the food, putting it on the buffet line, cleaning the floors etc. should not.  I don't get what you are getting at here.  

The cruise lines have contracts with employees. If they don’t collect enough to pay them, they have to increase prices. Who cares if they generate that money through DSC or the cost of the cruise? Just pay your fair share, or else prices will increase.

8 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

But they get paid more. The pay structure on the mainstream cruise lines are pretty much all the same, if a line upped their prices and added the DSC to the fare, it would appear to be more expensive. If you don’t like the pay structure, cruise a line that includes it in the fare, simple.

We don't prepay tips or allow auto tips to be placed on our account.   We tip in cash.  Royal Caribbean allows us this option and this is well within their rules.   We have choices on how we tip, so tip the way you like and enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1