Veteran Discount?

pauon

We just cruised with a friend who had this obc. One thing that was different from our stock obc, was his veterans obc was refundable... what he didn’t use (we all had free gratuities so he didn’t need it for that), he was refunded after the cruise. His portfolio said right on it, it was refundable. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, RMMariner said:

I am just interested in why Princess has this benefit? Not contesting the benefit in any way. Just wondering about the history of its implementation?

Do other lines have this benefit too?

X see post#8, he tells about the implementation :)

13 hours ago, pauon said:

What a dummy, hahahahah !   Was never good with the fine print.

You may also get the Veteran's OBC on other Carnival Corp. lines. We booked a cruise with Cunard and were automatically awarded the Veteran's OBC.

Don't know if all the lines under the Carnival umbrella do it, but some do.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

You may also get the Veteran's OBC on other Carnival Corp. lines. We booked a cruise with Cunard and were automatically awarded the Veteran's OBC.

Carnival does not. What they do is offer the cheapest rate (which is usually early saver) as the same price as military rate. And under the military rate, the deposit is refundable (early saver is not refundable).

• Like 1

mrpayroll --

This has happened to me a couple of times.  Military OBC does not show up on new booking or is dropped right after I do a re-booking with new freebies.  I just call princess and tell them it has disappeared and they put me on hold and call another department and have it re-added.  No problem.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Cunard is the only other Carnival Corp cruise line that offers this OBC .

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, famski740 said:

mrpayroll --

This has happened to me a couple of times.  Military OBC does not show up on new booking or is dropped right after I do a re-booking with new freebies.  I just call princess and tell them it has disappeared and they put me on hold and call another department and have it re-added.  No problem.

I just called and they did the same for me. Took about five minutes total. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MCC retired said:

Cunard is the only other Carnival Corp cruise line that offers this OBC .

P&O (UK) do as well - though they have changed theirs a bit recently - I believe you now need a Defence Discount card.

UK cruisers need to apply to Princess each time - it does not stay on your Captain's Circle record.

I just got off the phone with Princess.  You have to make sure that the Military OBC is connected to your Captain's Circle number in order for it to appear on you account info on their web site.

The OBC office and the Captain's Circle office are two (2) separate areas and I guess don't always talk with each other.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 2 cruises a year said:

If you served two years or more you are eligible.  You would be eligible in six months if you served in a combat zone.

Go for it!!

21 hours ago, Steven_&_Daniel said:

We had been sailing with Princess for several years before I learned of the veteran benefit. Once they've processed your application form, it will automatically apply for all future Princess cruises. Enjoy

20 hours ago, IDsailor said:

If you served in a  2 year enlistment anywhere you are eligible. The operative word is "or".  Just submit you 214 and enjoy.

There is one other requirement which, fortunately, the vast majority of veterans meet, is that you have an honorable discharge.  Another thing that everyone needs to be aware of is that your Veterans OBC is linked to your Captains Circle number. That means that if you went through a travel agent to get your cruise, he/she needs to have put your Captains Circle number in to your reservation or it won't show up. Whether that omission can be rectified after you are on the ship or not, I do not know. I do know that you cannot add it by showing your paperwork (e.g. DD214) at  Passenger Services.

Tom

• Like 2

18 hours ago, RMMariner said:

I am just interested in why Princess has this benefit? Not contesting the benefit in any way. Just wondering about the history of its implementation?

This shows some information about Alan Buckelew’s USA Army experiences in Vietnam & his returning there on a cruise.  He wanted to provide thanks to nearly everyone who served in the military including many allies of the USA.

https://www.princess.com/cruise-tips-vacation-ideas/cruise-blog/50-essential-experiences/a-soldier-returns-on-a-cruise-to-vietnam-as-a-tourist.html#.VcfzxkpHarU

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, RMMariner said:

Attached is a text file that includes information on benefits available on most major cruise lines to people with some connection to military services of various types (current active duty, former military but not retired, retired). Note that very few (3 or 4 as I remember) offer benefits to retired or former military for Onboard Credit while a few offer lower rates on cruises to active duty personnel.

Military benefits on various cruise lines.txt

1 hour ago, Pierlesscruisers said:

Attached is a text file that includes information on benefits available on most major cruise lines to people with some connection to military services of various types (current active duty, former military but not retired, retired). Note that very few (3 or 4 as I remember) offer benefits to retired or former military for Onboard Credit while a few offer lower rates on cruises to active duty personnel.

Thanks for posting this.  

1 hour ago, Pierlesscruisers said:

Very well done, thank you !

2 hours ago, Pierlesscruisers said:

Thanks...my most recent RCL cruise was a few years ago but their military benefit was not at that time combinable with any other type of discount.  The Princess OBC is combinable with every other type of OBC we’ve received.

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 6:50 PM, Eaglecw said:

Combine the Military OBC in with the stockholder benefit OBC and you've got a nice gift from Princess

In April and May, we will be on the Emerald Princess for a 15 night Panama Canal Cruise, followed by a 15 night transatlantic. Price drops after final payment date saw the base fares fall to only $950pp and $850pp!

We're getting $250 military OBC, AND $250 shareholder OBC... on EACH cruise!  Makes for a nice deal !

Edited by teecee60

1 minute ago, teecee60 said:

In April and May, we will be on the Emerald Princess for a 15 night Panama Canal Cruise, followed by a 15 night transatlantic. Price drops after final payment date saw the base fares fall to only $950pp and $850pp!

We're getting $250 military OBC, AND $250 shareholder OBC... on EACH cruise!  Makes for a nice deal !

That is awesome!   💰

1 hour ago, teecee60 said:

My wife and I are both retired military which makes for some nice OBCs on cruises, especially the long ones! 🙂

Tom

• Like 1

On 2/28/2019 at 3:48 AM, RMMariner said:

See one of the above posts re. former Princess CEO.

• 2 weeks later...

`I am Proud to have served my Country during the Vietnam War as a Combat Medic-91Charlie.  I am also proud of our current vets as well.

Never forget those who served and gave the ultimate sacrifice and our POW's who will not be forgotten

-

God Bless the Korean and Vietnam Vets who were forgotten for a long time by there Country

Thank You Princess Cruise for the generous gifts to Vets who served proudly 

• Like 2