Suite benefits

dave2

We've booked two cruises this year, the Britannia in June and the Ventura in October, both in suites. I'm a little unclear as to the added benefits attached to being in a suite. As I understand you get the following; 

1 Priority embarkation

2 Breakfast in the epicurean

3 the option of having MDR meals in the cabin

4 Free room service if ordered through the butler

Are there any others and as this is our first time in a suite what is the correct protocol for tipping the butler?.

Many thanks

3 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Personally I cannot see what I would need a butler for.

I have heard they can unpack and pack your suitcases, sort out laundry etc. Not sure if they have expertise on excursions and if they can get you booked in.

Regards John

UHi dave2 , we are also in a suite on Ventura for the very first time , always been inside cabins before but this is a special treat for us and I'm not quite clear also what is included but I think you have covered most on your list but I did have a question for others who have been in suites , instead of the canapes would the butler bring us cheese and crackers in the early evening each night , no problem if this is a no we're just go up to buffet and bring down ourselves we do intend to tip him very well , just want to enjoy the suite and the balcony for the first time it's been 15 years for inside rooms .

1 hour ago, Purdey16 said:

UHi dave2 , we are also in a suite on Ventura for the very first time , always been inside cabins before but this is a special treat for us and I'm not quite clear also what is included but I think you have covered most on your list but I did have a question for others who have been in suites , instead of the canapes would the butler bring us cheese and crackers in the early evening each night , no problem if this is a no we're just go up to buffet and bring down ourselves we do intend to tip him very well , just want to enjoy the suite and the balcony for the first time it's been 15 years for inside rooms .

You can only ask. It may be that he cannot do it at the same time as the canapés but sometime earlier. Don’t forget he will book all your speciality dining and will get you a table when it is difficult. He will also sort you a party and serve your guests, bring you the food and get your wine. We generally do this on cruises of over a week.

As I say he may bring you what you want. They are very keen to please.

Thank you diaB, only I didn't want to be rude and asking for things that they generally don't do , re tipping would you suggest some at the beginning and more at the end or all at the end of cruise . Thank you

8 hours ago, john watson said:

I have heard they can unpack and pack your suitcases, sort out laundry etc. Not sure if they have expertise on excursions and if they can get you booked in.

Regards John

He'll be more than happy to unpack and pack suitcases, and to arrange excursions, though he'll probably not have expertise on them.

We've always found them very happy to do anything reasonable, though our use of the butler has always been limited - we book suites for the space, mainly, the location, and breakfasts in the Epicurean.  The canapes are just not needed (for us) - far too much food onboard, and I'd not rate them very highly anyway.

We've had the odd breakfast brought to the suite if we're off out early, and the odd lunch on the balcony, but I very much enjoy the company of others at lunch/dinner and you miss that, of course.

Never bothered too much about the 'free' room service, but if you're a big eater I suppose it's a bonus.

There's also the priority disembarkation, and the small but pleasant area you sit in while you wait to board, with coffee and cake.

When we've had a suite, we have on occasions after coming back from a morning excursion had lunch in the suite and asked the butler to get us something from the restaurant lunch menu and something from the room service menu which has been very pleasant to eat on the balcony.    

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Purdey16 said:

Thank you diaB, only I didn't want to be rude and asking for things that they generally don't do , re tipping would you suggest some at the beginning and more at the end or all at the end of cruise . Thank you

Never ever tipped at the start. At the end yes.

1 hour ago, docco said:

Not sure that it's a benefit - maybe more of an embarrassment.  The biggest embarrassment of all, though, is admitting that you go on cruises!

Obviously you realised that was a tongue in cheek comment.

Nothing wrong with admitting you enjoy cruises, they suit our family perfectly. It good that not everyone wants to go on them as it keeps the prices down.

On 3/1/2019 at 2:42 PM, dave2 said:

We've booked two cruises this year, the Britannia in June and the Ventura in October, both in suites. I'm a little unclear as to the added benefits attached to being in a suite. As I understand you get the following; 

1 Priority embarkation

2 Breakfast in the epicurean

3 the option of having MDR meals in the cabin

4 Free room service if ordered through the butler

Are there any others and as this is our first time in a suite what is the correct protocol for tipping the butler?.

Many thanks

As of May 2019 there will be no service charges meaning tips to butlers won't be mandatory. You can request to opt out of the Service Charges, Priority Embarkation is available for all Suite/Mini Suite Guests, Breakfast In the Epicurean is a Possibility, Meals in the Cabin can be requested to the Butler,  Free Room Service I have no idea. 

On 3/2/2019 at 3:22 PM, manonabike said:

Obviously you realised that was a tongue in cheek comment.

Nothing wrong with admitting you enjoy cruises, they suit our family perfectly. It good that not everyone wants to go on them as it keeps the prices down.

However when you search early deals you can get the prices lower than a Balcony Late deal which can attract people to them.

8 minutes ago, Pentlands said:

Is there not food in a restaurant on embarkation?

There is - a fairly decent buffet with a glass of wine.  Has to be searched for if you don't know about it, but it's there - not sure it's even restricted to suite passengers either, though I could be wrong about that.

1 hour ago, docco said:

I'm sure you're right.  We've always just wandered in, but I don't recall anyone asking about it.

It is for suite and Caribbean loyalty members only, and you should be asked for your cruise card to check eligibility.

Is this what we are talking about?

"If you are a Suite / Mini Suite guests, or a member of The Peninsular Club’s Ligurian, Baltic or Caribbean Tiers, you will enjoy a Welcome On Board Reception (formally called the Priority Embarkation lounge) once you embark your ship. The venue will be confirmed at check-in and the reception will run from 12:15pm until 3.00pm, serving alcoholic and soft drinks and canapés."

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/before-you-sail/priority_lounge?_ga=2.173922787.1398554119.1552229350-1468493213.1547077059

Mini suites included.

6 hours ago, Pentlands said:

Is this what we are talking about?

"If you are a Suite / Mini Suite guests, or a member of The Peninsular Club’s Ligurian, Baltic or Caribbean Tiers, you will enjoy a Welcome On Board Reception (formally called the Priority Embarkation lounge) once you embark your ship. The venue will be confirmed at check-in and the reception will run from 12:15pm until 3.00pm, serving alcoholic and soft drinks and canapés."

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/before-you-sail/priority_lounge?_ga=2.173922787.1398554119.1552229350-1468493213.1547077059

Mini suites included.

Yes - though I wasn't aware they'd cut it back to just canapés.  Used to be a pretty decent buffet, but if it's just those wretched canapés the butler brings now I'm going to be hungry!  Always the buffet, of course, but that's hell on earth, particularly on embarkation day.

That's taken the gloss off the next cruise!

Edited by docco

If our last cruise was anything to go by they are using the word 'canapes' loosely - it's not knife and fork but some of the items are anything but small. For example there were small pastries like Cornish Pasties, there were some curry type things, quite a few different savoury items, then there were small eclairs, fresh fruit tarts, really enjoyed it.  It's certainly not like the canapes that are served  to the suites and mini suites - now those do need upgrading.

10 minutes ago, annieuk said:

If our last cruise was anything to go by they are using the word 'canapes' loosely - it's not knife and fork but some of the items are anything but small. For example there were small pastries like Cornish Pasties, there were some curry type things, quite a few different savoury items, then there were small eclairs, fresh fruit tarts, really enjoyed it.  It's certainly not like the canapes that are served  to the suites and mini suites - now those do need upgrading.

Fair enough - that's pretty much what I recall.  Rather a nice lunch. 

Those canapés the butler brings certainly do need some attention - I wonder how many actually get eaten?  We used to find it a bit embarrassing to leave most of them every night, but the best answer's to ask the butler not to bother with them.

We last used the Welcome On Board Reception in December on Oriana.  Certainly didn't go hungry!  Yes it's not the same as what's in the buffet, but decent sized canapes that get re-filled if you want more.  Did get a bit thirsty though as the stewards weren't particlularly pro-active.