cheap hotel and then uber to the terminals ?

bumblebee41

Depends on the port.
Also depends on how you are getting there.
We usually cruise out of Galveston and the hotel chain we stay at lets you park your car there for the cruise as long as you stay the night before you leave.
I can't remember the cost offhand but it is much cheaper than the cruise terminal parking.
Then they have a complimentary shuttle that drops you off and picks you up.
Very convenient.

No Uber in Galveston, so this is our best option.

2 hours ago, bumblebee41 said:

first time cruiser, just trying to figure out our plan.. is it really worth paying $200 a night for a hotel just to be close to the treminals or stay farther away and just uber in the next day ?

A bit more specific details and you'll get all the help and suggestions you'll need.

It always makes sense to do your research.  Other things being equal, “cheap” is better than expensive.  But when cruising those “other things” count.  How much of a hotel cost saving is necessary to offset inconvenience and possible discomfort?  Is possibly waiting up to an hour for the motel’s free van to the cruise terminal worth saving the few dollars taxi fare?  If it were ONLY about saving money, you wouldn’t cruise at all, or you would only cruise on itineraries or on lines you did not enjoy, but only chose them because they were cheap, or you only chose inside cabins because they were cheap.

Unfortunately, enough of the cruise market has focused sufficiently heavily on low cost over quality to convince the lines to also focus on low cost over quality.

Depends on a lot. For us, that night before in a hotel is part of the vacation! We spend the night in the city and enjoy ourselves. The way I see it, you're going to need to catch transportation regardless. You really can't walk to any ports. Price your options. Choose what is important to you. One thing I recommend staying away from is basing your hotel around a "free shuttle". People will often pay $50 more for a room to save $10 on Uber. Makes sense with how much cruisers obsess over individual charges.

This is hard to answer, but for us normally we would stay at a cheaper hotel (not the cheapest) and use Uber or other transportation to the port.  This depends a lot on the port, how often we have been to the port city, how late we get in (often later than 8PM for us) and other factors.

20 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

You really can't walk to any ports. 

I've cruised from San Diego several times, and have never used a shuttle or taxi.  There are several hotels within walking distance of the cruise terminal, and even at the age of 60+, I've never had problems navigating on my own with one spinner bag and a carry-on.

Roz

We just cruised from Miami and I picked a cheaper area for our two-night hotel stay rather than being close to port.

Worked really well for us; we spent the day shopping and in the hotel's gym and pool. 

1 minute ago, Husky61 said:

We never book a "cheap" hotel and never take a shuttle anywhere.  It is a vacation and we don't penny pinch on hotels or transportation. Just my opinion.😄

That's nice that you're able to do that.  Some of us aren't able to cruise unless we penny pinch.

Roz

53 minutes ago, Roz said:

I've cruised from San Diego several times, and have never used a shuttle or taxi.  There are several hotels within walking distance of the cruise terminal, and even at the age of 60+, I've never had problems navigating on my own with one spinner bag and a carry-on.

Roz

We have as well, the Wyndham, one of several, is just across the street. Also, there’s are a couple of motels in NY within reasonable walking distance of the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, and the. Sheraton Old San Juan is across the street from one of the piers. I am sure there are a number of other ports with comparable accessibility.

sorry everyone, should have included a few details... going out of galveston. april 20th on the valor, we have to drive 6 hours if the traffic is good, we are country bumpkins, not used to driving in houston, i will be a nervous wreck going thru houston.  so i thought going the day before would be easier on my nervous lol  i had rather stay at a hotel and take a shuttle, i think ....    CHERVIL i would appreciate the info on a hotel and shuttle if you don't mind sharing.. anyone else have any ideas, let me hear them... i'll be darned ! had know idea there was no uber in galveston ! i only get to uber when we go to dallas to the airport lol

8 hours ago, Roz said:

Roz

Likewise at San Diego and NYC as well, but that is not possible everywhere.

2 hours ago, bumblebee41 said:

sorry everyone, should have included a few details... going out of galveston. april 20th on the valor, we have to drive 6 hours if the traffic is good, we are country bumpkins, not used to driving in houston, i will be a nervous wreck going thru houston.  so i thought going the day before would be easier on my nervous lol  i had rather stay at a hotel and take a shuttle, i think ....    CHERVIL i would appreciate the info on a hotel and shuttle if you don't mind sharing.. anyone else have any ideas, let me hear them... i'll be darned ! had know idea there was no uber in galveston ! i only get to uber when we go to dallas to the airport lol

I think it is wise doing whatever lowers stress levels on a holiday.

It sounds like you will also have a car with you; I assume you plan on leaving it at the hotel? Just make sure whatever hotel you stay at is ok with the car being there a week without a paying customer. It may be worth doing a hotel with a ‘cruise and park’ package just to be sure that your car hasn’t been towed when you return.

we don’t usually rent a car when we come in the day before a cruise. We prefer arrive in the late morning to early afternoon. For us it’s not about staying as close as we can to the cruise port but staying in a neighborhood where we can walk to dinner and enjoy the rest of that day and evening. We just plan on eating the cost of an uber to the hotel and to the port the next day, but if there’s a free shuttle for either we certainly take it and haven’t had a bad experience yet doing it that way.

We're usually coming from somewhere where jetlag is an issue and so almost always come in the day before (or even 2 days before) and crash somewhere inexpensive that is close to a 24-hour restaurant and take a taxi/uber to the port. I figure, why pay a ton when what I need is a flophouse with cable and strong coffee? Also, that way we're rested and have handled the worst of the time adjustment before we get on the ship, so we can enjoy the actual vacation part of the vacation. 

Assuming you are driving down, one option is to stay off of Galveston Island and park at the terminal.  There are several options that are pretty easy and reasonably priced; my wife stayed at Park N Cruise when she went on Royal with a family member and had no issues whatsoever.

Several hotels off of NASA Pkwy are very reasonable and close to Kemah for a visit.  Not nearly as much fun as Galveston but fits the bill for lower cost.  Galveston hotels become expensive Friday and Saturday nights.

By the way, lots of great advice on the Gulf Coast Departure Ports board

On 3/1/2019 at 11:21 PM, bumblebee41 said:

first time cruiser, just trying to figure out our plan.. is it really worth paying $200 a night for a hotel just to be close to the treminals or stay farther away and just uber in the next day ?

There is no reason at all. I used to do that all the time, but I have been finding much better rates away from the port.You are going to Uber or cab in anyway so that is really not relevant.