Charge for second entree?

13 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

If Royal REALLY wanted to save money they would put a daily limit on the alcohol package.  There is more waste there than with food. 

Carnival does this.  The annoying thing about it is that they won't allow you to purchase additional once you hit the daily limit.  This means no trying something odd and deciding you don't like it and getting something else.  I'm sure some will say they don't allow you to buy a drink after the limit to prevent over serving and that could be true except, that if you do not get a package, there is no cutoff at all and the only limit is the one on your credit card.

16 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

one extra per day = $70.  May just be enough to make someone pop $89 and try a 3 night dining package instead.  

Removing "complimentary" items and associating costs with them is to push people to higher cost items.  It's not about a savings.  You can't save your way to profitability.  You need to generate revenue for that. 

See:  Key.  A bunch of perks associated with loyalty benefits + internet for slightly more than the price of internet.  Some perks don't apply to all cruises, and some are just marketing smoke and mirrors to start with, but they found a way to ensure people pay more for a week of internet.  Very clever.  

I read in this thread or another thread that the charges for popcorn are to make sure guests don't trash the ship with popcorn.  Funny, no charge for popcorn on Carnival or Princess and the guests don't trash the ship there.  Just a revenue generator.  They know it is likely to be a one time impulse purchase so they want to get money out of you while they can.  

I don't blame businesses for operating like a business.  But I'm not getting a share of the profit and I don't work for them.  I find the constant cost-associated items to be very tacky and pushing me more and more towards other forms of vacation.  Even if I don't buy them, don't want them, can go right past, the constant dollar signs in my face removes the carefree feeling of cruising that I enjoy.  In short, they are ruining the relaxing multiple thousand dollar vacations for me by pumping me for another $2, $5, $10.  

And out of principle I won't pay it.  

If Royal REALLY wanted to save money they would put a daily limit on the alcohol package.  There is more waste there than with food. 

You may not be able to save your way to profitability but you can certainly increase your revenues by reducing your expenses. And remember, this is something that is being tried out on a cruise line under the Carnival umbrella, HAL. I've seen nothing that suggests any other line is going to try it (but if it works for HAL I can certainly see others following suit). I am also like you, I won't pay a fee if I don't have to and especially if it's for something that is included in the fare (hence my aversion to specialty dining). Eventually I may choose another form of vacation and I doubt that they will even notice that I'm gone. I am not a bean counter and have no clue whether there is waste with the alcohol package (beat the cruise lines know, though). When I'm on Anthem I'll have to see if I see a lot of unfinished drinks.

17 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Alcohol is one of the biggest revenue producers on the ship.  With markups of around 300%-500%, it's  impossible for a cruise line to lose money.  Plus, I see very few unfinished drinks thrown away at the end of the day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Different strokes.  We've had some great service on U.S. airlines (other than the cheapo ones like Southwest, Frontier, etc.). The airline food service is typically based on the flight duration. Frequent fliers often get food & beverage perks.

If someone feels its important to get liquored up...they can do that on plenty of flights.

None of that applies to cruises except for the last point ( which will cost folks plenty to accomplish getting sloshed on a cruise, and if so, please stay away from us).

Yeah, which ones.  I've flown to Vegas on United and guess what no food.  However, food was on the menu on International flights.  You mention frequent flyer status as the reason for the great service.  Tell me other than you rank, what food or beverages (other than sodas, pretzels, etc.) is provided gratis on US airlines to regular passengers.  That's like me saying that I get great service from RCL because I'm D+ and get to use the DL/CL.

6 minutes ago, Sitzmark said:

Carnival does this.  The annoying thing about it is that they won't allow you to purchase additional once you hit the daily limit.  This means no trying something odd and deciding you don't like it and getting something else.  I'm sure some will say they don't allow you to buy a drink after the limit to prevent over serving and that could be true except, that if you do not get a package, there is no cutoff at all and the only limit is the one on your credit card.

They have the limit because that's the cutoff for their profit. They know their cruisers better than anyone and set their program based on that. (They do interestingly enough allow you to buy a drink before you hit your daily limit, not sure why they would refuse a sale after but that's their ball.)

23 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

I read in this thread or another thread that the charges for popcorn are to make sure guests don't trash the ship with popcorn.  Funny, no charge for popcorn on Carnival or Princess and the guests don't trash the ship there.  Just a revenue generator.  They know it is likely to be a one time impulse purchase so they want to get money out of you while they can.  

I remember that thread, and for the life of me could not understand why anyone would believe it was so that "guests don't trash the ship."  

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Sitzmark said:

I was once eating at a restaurant in South Carolina that was reputed to have very good food.  I was told the Collard greens were excellent.  I had never had them before so I figured, go for it and try something new.  I hated them.  When the server asked if there was something wrong with them, I assured him that they were probably just fine but I didn't care for them.  He wanted to bring something else but I assured him it was neither his fault or the cooks fault that I chose something I didn't like.  I'll send back improperly prepared food, but my mistakes are on me, I now know not to order that item.  The ribs and other items I ordered for my dinner were excellent.

I had the same thing when I tried greens. It was a me thing for sure. The rest of the meal was amazing where I was. Southern comfort food. 

5 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

They have the limit because that's the cutoff for their profit. They know their cruisers better than anyone and set their program based on that. (They do interestingly enough allow you to buy a drink before you hit your daily limit, not sure why they would refuse a sale after but that's their ball.)

I wonder if it's due to safety as liquor is basically cheap, especially in volumes.  

Just now, nelblu said:

I wonder if it's due to safety as liquor is basically cheap, especially in volumes.  

Like many business decisions there are probably many reasons for having a certain policy, some reasons are sufficient in themselves to have the policy, some reasons need to be coupled with other reasons to have the policy. I suspect that safety is a factor in the 15 day drink limit but I also suspect that profit is the overarching reason for it. (If you read the CCL boards there are many posters that complain that the 15 day limit isn't enough for them.)

7 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Probably a combination of both cost and safety.

15 alcoholic drinks per day is a pretty good effort, especially if you consider most cocktails have more than one shot, and it would discourage people from wasting them.

From the safety aspect, should there be an emergency situation, the last thing the crew needs is a ship full of drunks....

Edited by Balsam12

1 minute ago, sparks1093 said:

Like many business decisions there are probably many reasons for having a certain policy, some reasons are sufficient in themselves to have the policy, some reasons need to be coupled with other reasons to have the policy. I suspect that safety is a factor in the 15 day drink limit but I also suspect that profit is the overarching reason for it. (If you read the CCL boards there are many posters that complain that the 15 day limit isn't enough for them.)

WOW, 15 drinks and still not satisfied.  I've got to believe that it's for safety.

2 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

I'm sure that is the actual reason, but I've heard many bantered about.  The refusal to charge for one is the mystery.  It's been almost 2 years now, but as I recall they also would not charge prior to hitting the limit.  

1 minute ago, nelblu said:

WOW, 15 drinks and still not satisfied.  I've got to believe that it's for safety.

It does depend on how and what you are drinking... if you're on light beer for example, 15 probably isn't an issue. If you're drinking Long Island Iced Teas, then you're probably catatonic after 15. Also consider how much they are spaced out... did you start at 10am and then have one per hour until midnight, or did you start drinking a 6pm and have 15 by the end of dinner?

4 minutes ago, nelblu said:

And yet if you don't have a package, no limit.  I guess those folks can hold their alcohol better.  I assure you there was a boat full of drunks regardless of this policy.  

4 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

(If you read the CCL boards there are many posters that complain that the 15 day limit isn't enough for them.)

Is it 15 total drinks or 15 alcohol drinks?

I get the deluxe beverage package and will have 5 bottles of water, plus 2-3 specialty coffee's, maybe a juice or smoothie drink. That would push me more than halfway past my daily allotment and I havn't even had an adult beverage yet!   **** crosses Carnival off the list of cruise lines to sail  ****

On 3/3/2019 at 4:25 PM, Paulette3028 said:

I have often joked with the wait staff about this exact thing....having a 'sampler platter'.....so they just say....get both and eat what you want.    I ordered jerk chicken on our last cruise....but really did not want the 1/4 of a chicken that it came with.....I would have preferred a smaller portion of chicken and then 1/2 of another entree....the jerk chicken was good, though ( just to let you know).  

I believe a sampler platter would go over very well with cruisers.....pick any two of our main entrees and get a smaller portion of EACH along with the side dishes.  It would be FABULOUS!

Brilliant idea.

33 minutes ago, Balsam12 said:

The flipside to that is that if it's something that doesn't affect me, it helps keeps prices down on things that do affect me.

If charging people for ordering two main courses means they can keep the cost of the beverage package down, I'm all in favour.

The drink package prices are all over the place so who's to say that they are keeping any prices down including the fare. Also if you have noticed that the prices in the supermarket can stay the same but they shrink the package. I can't remember when a can of coffee was 160z and  they sold ice cream in a half gallon container. My wife notices this more than I do because old recipes that call for a 16oz can of something are now 15oz.

The cruise line is also shrinking the product and as long as people are willing to pay for extras like expedited  boarding, and reserved seating in the theater they will get away with it. But don't think for one second that this is keeping pricing down for the rest of us.

Just now, HBE4 said:

I get the deluxe beverage package and will have 5 bottles of water, plus 2-3 specialty coffee's, maybe a juice or smoothie drink. That would push me more than halfway past my daily allotment and I havn't even had an adult beverage yet!   **** crosses Carnival off the list of cruise lines to sail  ****

VERY good question....

4 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

The drink package prices are all over the place so who's to say that they are keeping any prices down including the fare. Also if you have noticed that the prices in the supermarket can stay the same but they shrink the package. I can't remember when a can of coffee was 160z and  they sold ice cream in a half gallon container. My wife notices this more than I do because old recipes that call for a 16oz can of something are now 15oz.

The cruise line is also shrinking the product and as long as people are willing to pay for extras like expedited  boarding, and reserved seating in the theater they will get away with it. But don't think for one second that this is keeping pricing down for the rest of us.

This is called Shrinkflation, and it is pretty widespread.

dp

Edited by dpostman
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, nelblu said:

From what I've read on the forum they will gladly sell you 20 without batting an eye (as long as you don't appear intoxicated).

5 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

It's just the alcoholic drinks.

I actually enjoy Carnival.. lots of fun! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

It's only for alcohol, they do include soda, water, sports drinks, specialty coffee in their package that don't count toward the limit.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Yeah, which ones.  I've flown to Vegas on United and guess what no food.  However, food was on the menu on International flights.  You mention frequent flyer status as the reason for the great service.  Tell me other than you rank, what food or beverages (other than sodas, pretzels, etc.) is provided gratis on US airlines to regular passengers.  That's like me saying that I get great service from RCL because I'm D+ and get to use the DL/CL.

Like on cruise lines...airline status rules. We've gotten meals when others onboard got only snacks, and any beverages were gratis for us, but only non-alcoholic ones for others.

In these regards, there is a parallel when it comes to status with a cruise line or airline. That said, airlines continue to have limited food options, and quite frankly...in a fair number of cases...others aren't missing all that much if you catch my drift.

7 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Yes, but the offset is their investments in new ships, entertainment, activities, etc.  On my first sail the only activities was bingo, horse racing by the pool, and entertainment provided by the CD staff. 

• Like 1