AA (Airbus A321) vs. Delta( Boeing 737) from JFK to SFO in coach

ams cruiser

This October I have a 7 a.m. flight booked on AA from JFK to SFO. (We are staying in NYC for a few days after our cruise.) I am booking through Princes Cruise's EZ Air Flex Fare program for the first time, because changes/cancellations can be made without penalty until 45 days before the cruise. The price for the two of us dropped $300 this week from when we first booked it! (We are flying from SFO to YUL on Air Canada to start our cruise.) Seats can be requested, but not guaranteed until the 45-day mark, although many people report having their seat requests honored on some airlines. (Not Air Canada.)

There is a Delta flight that leaves at 7 a.m. for around the same price, on a Boeing 757. Just hoping to get recommendations between the two flights/airplanes. I looked at Seat Guru, but aren't sure of the exact models/layouts. It looks like the AA Airbus MIGHT have power/entertainment on the seat. I thought the Delta plane looked bigger,  but haven't checked seat availability yet.

In-seat entertainment isn't a priority, although it would be nice to have a phone charger. Comfort (or as comfortable as you can be in coach), and an uneventful departure are higher on our list.

So wondering if I should keep my AA reservation or switch over to the Delta flight?  Some friends have told us that Delta gets better ratings than American, but I'm not sure what that means.

I was a little concerned, because the AA flight isn't until October, and it looked like most of the window/aisle seats in the same row are taken. We were able to request two seats (window and aisle) in row 19, which is almost at the back of the plane. It makes me wonder if this is a popular flight, with more chances of being oversold. According to Seat Guru, the Delta Boeing 737 didn't have back seat entertainment and power, if I'm reading it correctly.

Initially, we were booked on an Alaska flight at the same time, but that flight was canceled. There is one that leaves a couple of hours later on a Boeing 737 for $50 more, but we prefer to leave earlier.

Thanks, in advance, for any words of wisdom!

The most recent ranking by The Points Guy lists Alaska as the top domestic airline, and specifically number one for cabin comfort. For what it's worth...

I would tend to prefer a 757 over an AB 321, but I don't fly either of those airlines, and airline configuration is as important as airframe these days. And, as noted, aircraft type could easily change, or go from an 800 series to a 900 series, etc.

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

You seem to mix both 737 and 757 in your descriptions...

Oh, dear!  Thank you for point that out.  You're right. I think it should be a 757, according to Delta's website. I think it's too late for me to correct my post.

Trying to juggle too many balls at once...🙄

Edited by ams cruiser

9 hours ago, Noxequifans said:

It is not unusual for airlines to change aircraft types at any time before the flight due to fleet management. Makes decisions a bit challenging. 

This makes a lot of sense, so maybe I should really be asking American vs. Delta?

7 hours ago, markeb said:

The most recent ranking by The Points Guy lists Alaska as the top domestic airline, and specifically number one for cabin comfort. For what it's worth...

I would tend to prefer a 757 over an AB 321, but I don't fly either of those airlines, and airline configuration is as important as airframe these days. And, as noted, aircraft type could easily change, or go from an 800 series to a 900 series, etc.

Yes, we were originally booked on an Alaska flight at that time, that was cancelled.  There is another one that leaves at 9:30, but I'm trying to avoid the worst of the commute traffic in both NYC and SF.

3 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

There isn't a lot of difference in any domestic seat in Coach, on any airline. I would take the flight time that best works for you.

I think that the new "Oasis" interiors for American are tightening up the pitch AND reducing seat padding more than the other majors.

Here's a blog post that can give you some info on their A321 and links to some other stories.

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.com/2019/03/02/rumor-american-to-admit-defeat-give-passengers-more-space-in-coach/

Lots of rumor in addition to the reference posts.  Take it as you wish.

4 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

There isn't a lot of difference in any domestic seat in Coach, on any airline. I would take the flight time that best works for you.

Actually, both flights leave at the same time, and are around the same price.  So looking at reliability and (relative) comfort. But if all Coach seats are the same, maybe it doesn't matter?

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

I think that the new "Oasis" interiors for American are tightening up the pitch AND reducing seat padding more than the other majors.

Here's a blog post that can give you some info on their A321 and links to some other stories.

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.com/2019/03/02/rumor-american-to-admit-defeat-give-passengers-more-space-in-coach/

Lots of rumor in addition to the reference posts.  Take it as you wish.

Wow, less leg room and less padding?  Sounds pretty uncomfortable. Is it the same on the 757s? 

14 hours ago, markeb said:

I would tend to prefer a 757 over an AB 321

All other things being equal, what makes you prefer the 757 to the 321?

Generally, if all other things are equal, the Airbus family (318, 319, 320, 321) scores more highly for comfort because the cabin is about 6 inches wider - ie one extra inch of width per seat.

Much of this is likely to be overridden by the actual seats and configuration installed by specific airlines, which (as you say) are likely to make a greater difference to comfort. And research shows that the single biggest contributor to perceived comfort is an empty seat next to you.

But strip out all of that, and the 321 would score more highly than the 757.

4 hours ago, Globaliser said:

All other things being equal, what makes you prefer the 757 to the 321?

Generally, if all other things are equal, the Airbus family (318, 319, 320, 321) scores more highly for comfort because the cabin is about 6 inches wider - ie one extra inch of width per seat.

Much of this is likely to be overridden by the actual seats and configuration installed by specific airlines, which (as you say) are likely to make a greater difference to comfort. And research shows that the single biggest contributor to perceived comfort is an empty seat next to you.

But strip out all of that, and the 321 would score more highly than the 757.

Probably familiarity, and the airline I normally fly (United) seems to have better configured Boeing products than Airbus products. I've done plenty of short trips on Airbus on Lufthansa, and they've been fine, but you won't see that configuration on a US carrier. How the airline configures the airframe is key. (And I fly enough that if I'm not in the  front of the plane, I'm in Economy Plus.)

• Like 1

The JFK-SFO route is not the typical A321 though, it is the A321 Transcon aircraft. It has a very small economy cabin with in seat IFE, pitch is normal at 31 inches. Nothing special. The 757 will also have in seat IFE and around the same seat pitch. 

I believe both flights will also offer some sort of light breakfast on the flight too. 

Overall, I agree that Delta gives a better product. The A321 won't change on the AA flight though. All JFK-LAX/SFO are the A321B airplanes. Unless there is an mechanical issue. The Delta flight could change to say a 737-900, but the in cabin product of almost all of Delta's planes that can fly JFK-SFO are about the same. 

2 hours ago, Voelfgar said:

I agree. I'd take the DL flight over AA flight every time.

Just out of curiousity how many times have you flown on these AA A321Ts across the country? This is a subfleet of A321s with just over 100 seats on the entire aircraft. AA introduced these in 2014 and every seat has IFE, power and all aircraft have high speed ViaSat wifi. The A321s that operate elsewhere in the fleet are a bit ropey, particularly in FC. I've ended up with ex-US aircraft with seats that felt like economy plus rather the FC. Glad it was only a 2.5hr flight.

AA serve meals in all cabins on these transcons, I believe in economy it's a sandwich with chips and a drink. 

Delta at LAX are running out of several terminals, including 3, one of the worst terminals at any major US airport, IMO. Terminal 4, whilst busy is at least a much more pleasant space and feels like an airport rather than a refugee camp.