Anyone know the status of the "Food Improvement" or "New Menus"?

happy cruzer

5 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

We’re you pressured by your waiter to purchase the upsell menu?

We (a family group of 6 adults and 1 child) had the new menus on our Ruby cruise last summer.  We had traditional dining and not once did our wait staff even mention the Crown Grill menu items.  Not once did any of us order off of it either.

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 7:40 AM, jondfk said:

When on Ruby last September the new menu experiment was in full effect.  The changes were not substantial in my opinion though yes some old favorites were gone.  Overall though IMHO if you liked the old, you'll like the new.

Do you recall which "old favorites" were gone?  

On 3/11/2019 at 11:32 PM, Kingofcool1947 said:

Exception is when I order S.O.S., Chicken Fried Steak, or Biscuits and Gravy.  Then I got to have my sauce/gravy.  :classic_smile:

Sometimes I feel like I must be the only person in this country who doesn't like Chicken Fried Steak. I really don't want an entire plate of food that's buried in sausage gravy so that everything tastes exactly the same. People talk about salt - that is the saltiest gravy I've ever tasted. I love good beef gravy, pork gravy, or chicken gravy but I wouldn't want it on top of everything on my plate. Fortunately I'm not from the south as I would likely be lynched for expressing a dislike for Chicken Fried Steak.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/12/2019 at 2:32 AM, Kingofcool1947 said:

Same here.

I  always just say “gravy/sauce on the side”  when placing my order.  Same with salad dressing.  Works all the time.

Exception is when I order S.O.S., Chicken Fried Steak, or Biscuits and Gravy.  Then I got to have my sauce/gravy.  

You actually order SOS?? (LOL)

39 minutes ago, Aloha 1 said:

You actually order SOS?? (LOL)

Yes, sir.

When I’m hungry and want to eat comfort food, I join my fellow PAXs at the pig trough AKA buffet.  S.O.S. can be ordered  at breakfast by request at the omelette station.  Somehow the Filipino cooks know how to prepare it right.  

EA48F61F-7B50-4BD1-99EF-4F444BF5EB57_zps

Enjoy.

3 minutes ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Yes, sir.

When I’m hungry and want to eat comfort food, I join my fellow PAXs at the pig trough AKA buffet.  S.O.S. can be ordered  at breakfast by request at the omelette station.  Somehow the Filipino cooks know how to prepare it right.  

Chowing down.

3 minutes ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

EA48F61F-7B50-4BD1-99EF-4F444BF5EB57_zps

Enjoy.

hmmm - slow service/ anytime seating in the mdr ... hmm - let's create a pay for service aka Club Class to get passengers

to book a higher class cabin to have a 'special' seating area 

hmmm- remove the steak option from the everyday menu in the mdr ... let's add a pay per steak option to

the regular mdr menu

hmmm - let's remove the barrel chair from cabins - and passengers will be required to book a higher

class cabin to ensure that 2nd chair

BRILLIANT !

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Vic The Parrot said:

S.O.S. ??:classic_huh:

Check it out on google ... it is an expletive that can't be described on these boards ...

... Sxxx on a Shingle.  It refers to creamed beef on a piece of toast, the toast being the shingle and the Sxxx being the creamed beef.  You'd never catch me eating it ... 

• Haha 1

On 3/12/2019 at 12:16 PM, grouchomarx said:

Just a note about the bread/olive oil dipping.  If you are tearing bread with your hands and then dipping it in the olive oil, it is really no different than dipping your hands in the oil since any germs on your hands have been transferred to the bread.  So it is really only sanitary if each bowl is dumped after diners are done with it.

That's just an accident waiting to happen.  If I am the first one dipping, I will have some bread.  If not .. ick!!  I don't even want to share the germs on my DH's hands, much less anyone else's that happen to be at my table.  It's rather embarrassing to ask for your own because you don't want to share with strangers or even others in your group that may not take hand hygiene as seriously.  I can only see this as a perfect storm to spread every germ throughout the ship.  Why even bother with the hand sanitizer if they are going to do this.  

Now, I love that they have olive oil instead of butter ... but not if they just plop one bowl on the table and expect everyone to share.  Yuk!!  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, voljeep said:

hmmm - slow service/ anytime seating in the mdr ... hmm - let's create a pay for service aka Club Class to get passengers

to book a higher class cabin to have a 'special' seating area 

hmmm- remove the steak option from the everyday menu in the mdr ... let's add a pay per steak option to

the regular mdr menu

hmmm - let's remove the barrel chair from cabins - and passengers will be required to book a higher

class cabin to ensure that 2nd chair

BRILLIANT !

Florida Marlins won today

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

That's just an accident waiting to happen.  If I am the first one dipping, I will have some bread.  If not .. ick!!  I don't even want to share the germs on my DH's hands, much less anyone else's that happen to be at my table.  It's rather embarrassing to ask for your own because you don't want to share with strangers or even others in your group that may not take hand hygiene as seriously.  I can only see this as a perfect storm to spread every germ throughout the ship.  Why even bother with the hand sanitizer if they are going to do this.  

Now, I love that they have olive oil instead of butter ... but not if they just plop one bowl on the table and expect everyone to share.  Yuk!!  

Doesn’t everyone have their own dipping bowel of olive oil?

Also, don’t touch the salt and pepper shakers.   Everyone touches them, and you don’t know where your table mates had their hands have been?

Edited by Kingofcool1947
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Check it out on google ... it is an expletive that can't be described on these boards ...

... Sxxx on a Shingle.  It refers to creamed beef on a piece of toast, the toast being the shingle and the Sxxx being the creamed beef.  You'd never catch me eating it ... 

Also known as Barf on a bun.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Also, don’t touch the salt and pepper shakers.   Everyone touches them, and you don’t know where your table mates had their hands have been?

I'd sure hope so but not what it sounded like.  That's the only way I would even touch it ... unless I am the first one to dip.  Yep ... I am OCD about proper hand hygiene .... and I've seen some cringe-worthy behavior on cruises.  Or, if we agree to share a table, I also decline to shake hands at the dinner table after being seated.  And someone starts coughing right next to me, I just ask to be moved to another table.  It sounds rude but just trying to stay healthy.  

And yes, I don't use the salt or pepper.  I even have hand sanitizer ready for just after handling the menu.  

20 minutes ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

No ... at our table for 6, 3 couples unknown to each other before the 1st dinner, there were 2 bowlettes.  Same as when tables were set with butter dishes.  Perhaps not so offputting if each diner had their own.

On a side note ... guessing Princess can buy 55-gallon drums of olive oil way, way cheaper than butter.  Weĺl, and no man-power needed to mold flowerettes out of it. 

9 minutes ago, pms4104 said:

No ... at our table for 6, 3 couples unknown to each other before the 1st dinner, there were 2 bowlettes.  Same as when tables were set with butter dishes.  Perhaps not so offputting if each diner had their own.

On a side note ... guessing Princess can buy 55-gallon drums of olive oil way, way cheaper than butter.  Weĺl, and no man-power needed to mold flowerettes out of it. 

Could you have asked for your own bowlette?

And , is it a good quality EVOO, or the stuff that taste like motor oil? And is served with aged balsamic vinegar?

Edited by Kingofcool1947

2 minutes ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Is it good quality EVOO, or the stuff that taste like motor oil? And is served with aged balsamic vinegar?

No clue about quality ... and not served with vinegar.  Just chopped up green stuff at the  bottom.

Edited by pms4104

39 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I'd sure hope so but not what it sounded like.  That's the only way I would even touch it ... unless I am the first one to dip.  Yep ... I am OCD about proper hand hygiene .... and I've seen some cringe-worthy behavior on cruises.  Or, if we agree to share a table, I also decline to shake hands at the dinner table after being seated.  And someone starts coughing right next to me, I just ask to be moved to another table.  It sounds rude but just trying to stay healthy.  

And yes, I don't use the salt or pepper.  I even have hand sanitizer ready for just after handling the menu.  

Cuisine is OK, although mostly IMO, for pedestrian palates.

But,  good for you for being aware of hygiene.   You are doing the right thing to protect your health.

And, I hope you do the same if you eat at the buffet. Or, attend any of the activities in the public areas,  or attend the shows in Princess Theater.  Those kind of PAXs who cough and don’t use crook of their arm to cough in to?   :classic_angry:   I get up and move.  And, I always carry hand sanitizer, and anti bacterial wipes with me, in my pocket.   Can’t be too careful.

King

Edited by Kingofcool1947
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, pms4104 said:

That right there would be too icky for me unless I had my own little bowl, especially if I don't have to request it.  I would think it would be much more sanitary if the guy with the pepper dowel also had a cruet of olive oil he could pour for you on your bread plate.  I know it's a little more work for them but they already come by and fill your water, change out your silverware several times, dollop the dressing on your salad and come by with fresh pepper.  

58 minutes ago, pms4104 said:

The rosette butters are probably pre-made by one of Princesses vendors.I work in food service and we would order these pre-made butter rosettes.

18 minutes ago, stvandy1 said:

The rosette butters are probably pre-made by one of Princesses vendors.I work in food service and we would order these pre-made butter rosettes.

Not sure about who makes them ... last Fall on the Coral there were a couple of nights when we had actual butterballs rather than rosettes, then the rosettes returned.  A re-supply in Central America, perhaps.

I have a butter mold and used to make flowerettes for special meals, and I was picturing a staffer with a pastry bag filled with soft butter, squirting the contents into the mold.

Thanks for your insights.

Edited by pms4104