*Live* from the Eurodam - Hawaii/Tahiti/Marquesas

seamist

4 minutes ago, cccole said:

I want to join in with others who are thanking you for taking us along on this cruise with you.  I look forward every morning to reading your new post and seeing your photos.  Cherie

WELL said.   I feel the same way.   Thank you!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ithaca gal said:

Just a postscript:  I just spoke to the pianist and violinist about being a quartet or quintet. They very much consider themselves a quintet. Hope this helps. 

Not really.  They will consider themselves a quintet simply because they are traveling together.  I have been involved in music my entire life.  Whether or not a grouping is a piano quintet or a string quartet with piano accompaniment depends entirely upon the composition or arrangement of the music, not individual viewpoints.  Having listened to this wonderful group some of the pieces have no doubt been written as a piano quintet, particularly the classical pieces.  However many of the non-classical performances the piano part is clearly a supportive role making it a string quartet with piano accompaniment - vital - but still supportive.  I can 100% guarantee you that were I to talk with this group about the movements and arrangements I would get an entirely different answer.

Both viewpoints (quartet or quintet) is entirely correct depending upon the composition, which is why this entire discussion is ridiculous.  There has been no reason to make this an issue trying to prove you’re right or someone else wrong.  It is not productive to the discussion at hand (Tahiti cruise) as this is not a forum regarding musical groupings.  It has in fact been rude and condescending.

I very much appreciate the positive comments and I for one would prefer to get back to the topic at hand.  Thank you.

Today we are in Fanning Island awaiting the tender to go ashore.  My understanding is 30 min trip over and 30 min trip back via the tenders.  No facilities ashore and were told most guests only stay an hour or so then back aboard.  Hopefully can snag a few pictures.

• Like 2

Someone asked previously about the $10 upcharge for ordering a 2nd main course and how it was being implemented on this Eurodam cruise.   

After talking to our waiter and asst., they and other waiters are getting the heat when passengers ask about this 'test program".   The waiters are asking the passengers to "Please fill out the comment cards about the $10 fee".   And they definitely do not like it, because it puts them in a very negative position with their guests, and they probably feel it may affect any additional gratuities they may receive.

I spoke with the Food and Beverage Manager, and he said the test program was initiated to reduce the waste of the more expensive food items on Gala nights.  He said that they have plenty pf steaks and chops, and other entrees.  It's only the more expensive items, especially lobster tails, that they maintain a strict count of.  He said that some guests will order 4 or 5 lobster tails, and waste some of them.   

The test program was initially proposed to curb waste on Gala night items, but Seattle went too far and applied the test to all main course food items on 2 of the 4 ships in the test.   The other 2 ships are implementing the test only on Gala nights.  The F & B Manager suggested that we fill out the comment cards.

29 minutes ago, seamist said:

Today we are in Fanning Island awaiting the tender to go ashore.  My understanding is 30 min trip over and 30 min trip back via the tenders.  No facilities ashore and were told most guests only stay an hour or so then back aboard.  Hopefully can snag a few pictures

Oh I so hope you get there.  Our cruise we couldn’t.

We were so looking forward to the experience - had donations collected, etc.  Hope you do get to experience it;

3 hours ago, Lido deck main said:

Dinner looks yummy, I try to restrict my desserts on a cruise but that chocolate cake calls to me and I break down and have two of them.  Your pictures are great.  Thanks for posting.  

The food looks very good, however the portions seem to appear rather small.   Were they??

• Like 1

3 hours ago, boards said:

The food looks very good, however the portions seem to appear rather small.   Were they??

Some would think so, yes.  I would prefer even smaller, eating way too much as it is!😬

Okay, sorry everybody, going to have to post activity pages later - one of my pics is blurry.  Great morning on Fanning Island (pics below).  It did rain on us though.  Forget rain, we encountered a monsoon - lol.  Came back to the ship so soaked one of the tender crew asked me how the shower was 😂  but was an enjoyable experience.

I am SO happy that you got there.

Last time we tried -two days sailing - no dice - two days back.  I think we had more sea day on ours than a Tranastlantic.  LOL.

sorry about the rain but I bet it was an experience for sure and not one that many get to do .

Happy for all of you that did it - monsoon or not 😄  Kudos.

Still trying to get these pics up, think the net might be speeding up a tad but still makes the snails look like Indy cars.  So.....I’ll just sit here in the Crow’s Nest sipping on a beverage and try to get this stuff up.

It did stop raining on the island in the afternoon, but hot, humid and buggy.  Bring an umbrella and bug spray!  I have to say this was the most “primitive” island I’ve ever been to, expected to see a 90 something Japanese WW2 soldier hop out of the bush.😁