*Live* from the Eurodam - Hawaii/Tahiti/Marquesas

seamist

If you have time while in Honolulu you can get around fast and cheap using "The Bus" and it's actually "The Bus" not just a bus.. it's their system.   There is also an app you can download that works well to know where to go and where to pick up. When I stay in Oahu I seldom if ever rent a car. 

On 3/16/2019 at 2:14 PM, seamist said:

We have arrived in Hilo, another gorgeous day, high 70’s low 80’s, bright and sunny.  A bit of a scare this morning at around 6:00 am ship time.  Woke up to the alarm system calling crew to muster stations. I poked the DH, did you hear that?  All is well, apparently a sprinkler system got triggered over one of the engines and the Capt cancelled the alarm and explained the situation.

There was also another brief scare around 10:00 AM on Friday, while docked in Honolulu.   There was a first stage alert announced for the Spa area, and fire teams were responding.  The captain announced that there was smoke and an acrid smell coming out of one of the saunas.   The fire teams determined that there was no fire, just smelly smoke caused by a guest's wristwatch falling into the hot lava rocks.   To generate that muck smoke, the watch must have had a plastic face and a leather, rubber, or plastic band.  The captain announced that the watch was totally melted, but the owner could come and retrieve their melted watch.   The fire crews were dismissed in about 15 minutes.   

We were about 1 hour out of Hilo when the alarms were sounded on Saturday morning at 6:00 AM ship time.   The first stage alarm specified that DG-3 was the location.   Fire teams were called.  The captain announced that the fire suppression systems over diesel generator #3 activated.    All ship propulsion stopped and we were dead in the water.   The captain announced that there was no fire and the teams were investigating why the fire suppression system kicked in.  After about 20 minutes we started moving again at normal speed.

As soon as we docked in Hilo, they announced that some elevators would be out of service due to an extensive test of the emergency diesel generator.   

Edited by TAD2005

Had it confirmed from our waiter tonight that indeed the main production shows on Holland America are no more.  Began a couple of months ago so probably started in 2019 forward, and its fleet wide. There is no longer a cast of singers and dancers on HAL ships, just privately contracted entertainers.

Tonight’s special St. Patrick’s Day Menu and pics:

66418229-89C7-484C-9579-2090A4A8A514.jpeg

D1A4373D-77B3-4B11-A123-940143EB5CD7.jpeg

D995FA54-7C60-41F0-BA00-57207856591C.jpeg

8D2C0CE6-D51C-4C17-9911-B60E450F6179.jpeg

D5D1DCA0-C942-43D4-ABB0-05F194D2FA6D.jpeg

AD0F5A56-DDCC-43A6-858B-284A33E0D7B2.jpeg

34CFFB1E-7B9D-4B82-AE96-618E54C21E91.jpeg

😉

3 hours ago, seamist said:

Lincoln Center, really exceptional quartet this cruise.

DA3C0C41-432E-4BB9-859E-667F0502064A.jpeg

Having 5 musicians in a quartet makes it "really" exceptional :classic_biggrin:

Edited by taxmantoo
p.s. Sorry ... could not resist
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, taxmantoo said:

😉

String quartet, one pianist, has been the best group!  I don’t want to discredit the pianist as he is good, but it’s the 4 strings who are the best I’ve seen and 4 is a quartet.  Ask Wikipedia 😁

Edited by seamist

Your photo of the beet and bleu cheese salad made me hungry for one so I purchased the ingredients.  Your review and photos are just fabulous.  Does the quartet play in the Lincoln Center Stage throughout the evening or just prior to dinner seatings?   Loving your cruise.  Thank you again for including us.  Cherie  

1 hour ago, cccole said:

Your photo of the beet and bleu cheese salad made me hungry for one so I purchased the ingredients.  Your review and photos are just fabulous.  Does the quartet play in the Lincoln Center Stage throughout the evening or just prior to dinner seatings?   Loving your cruise.  Thank you again for including us.  Cherie  

Pretty much most evenings 3 shows, some days a matinee, and a day or 2 an evening off.

Completely different quartet plus 1 than the one we saw in January. The group on that cruise was all female. This one looks like it's all male. 

As far as the production shows go, not having them is OK. There were 2 singer-dancer shows during the one-week to Mexico cruise we were on in January, and they weren't that memorable. The best evening program on that cruise was probably the canned program presented one night in conjunction with BBC, the Planet Earth performance by the quartet and the ship's musicians along with video. Outstanding technical work and performance. Maybe the duration of this cruise has something to do the lack of production staff on board. Or maybe this is just the way things are going to be from now on. It'll be interesting to see what happens on our Hawaii junket in a few more weeks.

10 hours ago, seamist said:

String quartet, one pianist, has been the best group!  I don’t want to discredit the pianist as he is good, but it’s the 4 strings who are the best I’ve seen and 4 is a quartet.  Ask Wikipedia 😁

We’ve been enjoying the quintet as they all are necessary for these performances. 

1 hour ago, ithaca gal said:

We’ve been enjoying the quintet as they all are necessary for these performances. 

So am I but wishing I had never posted a darn thing at this point in time.  You all see a quintet and I’ve been watching a string quartet with piano accompaniment.  Also found it interesting that in tonight’s performance there was a cello solo with piano accompaniment as the first piece introduced by the pianist himself, and he referred to it as a *solo* not a duet.  Guess he and I are both out to lunch on this.

But really is it that important to criticize a poster regarding musical groupings on a forum dedicated to a Tahitian cruise?  Can we move on now???  Now I know why I rarely comment on these forums - may have to return to that policy.

2 hours ago, seamist said:

So am I but wishing I had never posted a darn thing at this point in time.  You all see a quintet and I’ve been watching a string quartet with piano accompaniment.  Also found it interesting that in tonight’s performance there was a cello solo with piano accompaniment as the first piece introduced by the pianist himself, and he referred to it as a *solo* not a duet.  Guess he and I are both out to lunch on this.

But really is it that important to criticize a poster regarding musical groupings on a forum dedicated to a Tahitian cruise?  Can we move on now???  Now I know why I rarely comment on these forums - may have to return to that policy.

Just a postscript:  I just spoke to the pianist and violinist about being a quartet or quintet. They very much consider themselves a quintet. Hope this helps. 

Thank you for all the updates from Eurodam we are really enjoying them. We will be on the next sailing to Hawaii and back.

I was disappointed to read that the Crows Nest lounge has been converted on this ship too, seems to be a waste of space with the big maps, give me a comfortable seat and good library to relax in and watch the world go by!

Continued smooth sailing!

9 hours ago, seamist said:

Thanks for posting and don't worry about others who feel they must "fix" others.  It's about themselves and stroking their ego, not about you at all.  We appreciate the updates, thank you. 

• Like 1

On 3/18/2019 at 8:58 AM, taxmantoo said:

😉

It was a joke :classic_biggrin:  Doesn't matter 4 or 5, they are still good and enjoyable.

Breathe in, breathe out and carry on !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cls241 said:

Thanks for posting and don't worry about others who feel they must "fix" others.  It's about themselves and stroking their ego, not about you at all.  We appreciate the updates, thank you. 

Thank you so much, this comment was much appreciated.  Was exactly what I needed👍

• Like 3

8 hours ago, ithaca gal said:

Just a postscript:  I just spoke to the pianist and violinist about being a quartet or quintet. They very much consider themselves a quintet. Hope this helps. 

Why did you feel the need to ask them to try to prove someone wrong? Yes it helped like throwing gasoline on a fire.  Can you do us a favor and just go away and quit posting on this blog.  She wants to do this blog for people that aren’t on this cruise so they can see what to look forward too.  So please don’t post here again and if you want to post start your own blog.

11 hours ago, seamist said:

don’t let people throw you off.

We’re enjoying your live thread and appreciate the time and money that you are spending for us to cruise vicariously though you.

The music sounds really fantastic 🙂. Glad you are enjoying it.  Your pics are fabulous 😄 

• Like 1