Who gets what on autograts

fastnloose

49 minutes ago, WestLakeGirl said:

Fast loose, who told you that? It is the opposite.  If you leave the auto-gratuity in place, waiters and Stewards can keep any cash you give them.  Only if your remove the autogratuity do they have to turn their cash tips over to the pool.

Do you really believe that???  Think about it....

How could that possibly be implemented?  If I hand a waiter $10, he doesn't know my name or cabin...I'm just someone sitting at a table he's waiting on.

Edited by ghstudio

3 hours ago, WestLakeGirl said:

Fast loose, who told you that? It is the opposite.  If you leave the auto-gratuity in place, waiters and Stewards can keep any cash you give them.  Only if your remove the autogratuity do they have to turn their cash tips over to the pool.

You are 100% correct.  Thanks for updating this info once again.  So much misinformation.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

I think that the employer and the employee have this worked out.  If you leave a tip in a restaurant, do you ask the manager how much of it went to your server?  No you don't.  Just leave the tips on, give whatever extra you choose, if you choose to, to whomever you want to have it and forget about it.  Breaking down every penny  of who gets what is merely an effort in futility and serves no purpose whatsoever.

Actually, yes I do. 

I'll leave a standard tip, generally in the card that I'm using for the accompanying meal.  I know this will be split x-ways among the staff. I'll also leave an extra cash tip that the server can pocket for themselves. 

Forgive me if I'm out of line for wanting the person who provided good service to be the beneficiary of my gratuity.  

7 hours ago, ghstudio said:

Do you really believe that???  Think about it....

How could that possibly be implemented?  If I hand a waiter $10, he doesn't know my name or cabin...I'm just someone sitting at a table he's waiting on.

Plus, on the beverage package, the servers who know me often don't even bother to swipe my card when I order a drink. 

1 hour ago, D C said:

Plus, on the beverage package, the servers who know me often don't even bother to swipe my card when I order a drink. 

thats odd. if they dont swipe, then they dont get credit for making a drink?

thought a tiny portion of the mandatory tips on the drink package goes to the bartender for each drink?

5 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

thats odd. if they dont swipe, then they dont get credit for making a drink?

thought a tiny portion of the mandatory tips on the drink package goes to the bartender for each drink?

Just because they don't swipe doesn't mean it's not recorded they just know who you are and can call the number up from their records

• Like 1

12 hours ago, D C said:

I'll leave a standard tip, generally in the card that I'm using for the accompanying meal.  I know this will be split x-ways among the staff. I'll also leave an extra cash tip that the server can pocket for themselves. 

This is entirely up to the employer and employee to determine.  The employer must notify the employee in advance if a mandatory tip pool exists, and then the employee is expected to contribute the mandatory amount.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2019 at 8:18 AM, ghstudio said:

There have been so many threads on the topic of who gets what when you tip.....and the "answers" range all over the lot often conflicting.  The distribution of the "standard" gratuity is fixed...you aren't going to change it.  If there is an individual who you would like to tip for their contribution to your cruise, then tip them.  If they get to keep the tip or share it among some pool or whatever doesn't matter.  Surely, some are shared and some are kept and probably some are pocketed before they hit a tip pool.....but it really shouldn't effect your tip.

Surprised you say it doesn't matter. If I want to give extra money to a certain person then I definitely want that full amount to go to that person and not be pooled. I would think others would feel the same.

On 3/10/2019 at 10:34 AM, dkjretired said:

Why not just go on the cruise and enjoy yourself, I don’t understand why people have a compulsion to know where tips go. Common sense would tell anyone that if the tips didn’t go to the right people there would either be a revolt or they couldn’t get people to work for them. If you’re  against the concept of tipping maybe you shouldn’t be cruising. Finally, don’t believe half the rumors on these boards, believe people are well meaning but not accurate.

So which are the rumors and which are the facts?

On 3/11/2019 at 3:35 PM, WestLakeGirl said:

That doesn't make sense. So they don't get any of the auto gratuity and they have to pool the personal tips? Where did you get this info from?

Edited by ReneeFLL

7 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

So which are the rumors and which are the facts?

That doesn't make sense. So they don't get any of the auto gratuity and they have to pool the personal tips? Where did you get this info from?

Knowing what are facts and what are rumors since Celebrity and other lines don’t tell us what they do with tips is a good question. We will probably never know, that’s why I don’t spend much time thinking about it. As I said in an earlier post if they weren’t going to the right people we would hear about it.

10 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

Knowing what are facts and what are rumors since Celebrity and other lines don’t tell us what they do with tips is a good question. We will probably never know, that’s why I don’t spend much time thinking about it. As I said in an earlier post if they weren’t going to the right people we would hear about it.

Celebrity does say where the grats go:

1969370414_celebrityauto-grats.thumb.jpeg.18adc2aefa2b6601030a763e890b38b9.jpeg

and i applaud them for that.

Edited by fstuff1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Surprised you say it doesn't matter. If I want to give extra money to a certain person then I definitely want that full amount to go to that person and not be pooled. I would think others would feel the same.

I don't "know" who gets my tips anywhere, other than maybe the cabbie since there's probably no one to share with.

Tip pooling can be mandated in the US under the Fair Labor Standards Act. (Doesn't apply on the ships; I know that.) The employer is under no obligation to tell you, the customer, whether they mandate pooling. Some places have voluntary tip pools. Some employee categories in the US are prohibited from being in a tip pool (back of house staff such as cooks, dishwashers, etc.). And others share, such as with the person who clears your table or brings you water. I simply assume tips on the ship are pooled and/or shared like they would be ashore, and if I tip extra the person I'm tipping at a minimum got more than if I hadn't, and maybe they get it all.