Are Tables for 2 on QM2 Guaranteed Prior to Cruise?

jimdee3636

My wife and I have booked a 21-night roundtrip from New York on the QM2 for this summer (July 7-28). Although we are experienced cruisers, it will be our first time on a Cunard ship. We have a guaranteed late dinner seating in the Britannia dining room. We have requested a table for two for all nights, but neither we nor our travel agent can get a definitive answer as to whether a table for two can be guaranteed (in writing) in advance, or whether we have to wait until the first day of the cruise and ask the maitre d' (with no assurance the request can be accommodated). This is a major issue for us, and we may cancel the booking if we have to eat each night with a table of strangers. Any information from prior QM2 guests with experience in this matter will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

They will try to accommodate you.  You did not say which level of stateroom you selected.  If you are Queens Grill, Princess Grill or Britannia Club, they will definitely accommodate your preference.  I think that this will be a non-factor for you.  

My advice would be to proceed to the dining room immediately upon boarding and find your assigned seating.  If there is an issue, the earlier it is discovered, the easier it is for the maître d to change it.

I've moved my table many times without any issue.  

You stand a better chance at second seating than first, particularly out of NYC where there are a lot of Americans aboard.

Chat up the maitre d' on your eastbound and let him know your table preference on the westbound (even specific table) and he'll be happy to accommodate in advance. We (that is, our gregarious tablemates) have already arranged our table assignment for Christmas 2019.

Edited by Underwatr

jimdee

Before settling in Britannia Club we dined in the Britannia Restaurant and always got early seating.

Of course we presented a medical note to Cunard since my wife has a eating problem and has to eat early. And no problem each and every time.

If we did encounter a problem within one or two days after other passengers showed their need to change, we got great seats for our voyage. We always see a shuttle take place in the first few days.

Work with it Dining Room Maitre D' after you see your dining room card in your cabin on boarding. 

Edited by BklynBoy8

We have done 9 TA crossings and several WC segments on QM2 and always request a table for 2 in early seating when booking.   We have always received our requested seating when we booked more than 9 months advance of the cruise date.   We were not given our request when we booked less than 4 months before the cruise dates.  However,  the maître d was able to get us a table for 2 a day or two later in all but one case.   Unfortunately, there are a limited number of tables for 2 and it will all depend on how many others request them before you.  Since the late seating is less popular, the odds of getting a 2 are better.   Good luck.  

Table size is Request only . Best chance for a table for 2 is Late Seating . We are Britannia  people and always request a Table for 2 but a couple of sailings we did not get one .We  did not request any change and just accepted what we got ,lucky ,  had good table mates.

If it is so important that you will cancel without a written guarantee , better cancel now or book a Grill category ($$$).

Edited by MCC retired

Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions. I guess I'll either have to cancel or be cautiously optimistic and try to work something out with the maitre d' immediately after embarking.

It seems to me, though, that Cunard should be able to guarantee a table for two in advance. Holland America does it. We've sailed with HAL nine times (just got off the Volendam earlier this week after a thirty day voyage) and have always gotten a guaranteed table for two in advance (and they've never failed to give us one). Cunard should realize that this is a priority for at least some of their guests. The last thing you need on a relatively long cruise is to worry about being seated each night with the "wrong" table-mates.

11 minutes ago, jimdee3636 said:

Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions. I guess I'll either have to cancel or be cautiously optimistic and try to work something out with the maitre d' immediately after embarking.

It seems to me, though, that Cunard should be able to guarantee a table for two in advance. Holland America does it. We've sailed with HAL nine times (just got off the Volendam earlier this week after a thirty day voyage) and have always gotten a guaranteed table for two in advance (and they've never failed to give us one). Cunard should realize that this is a priority for at least some of their guests. The last thing you need on a relatively long cruise is to worry about being seated each night with the "wrong" table-mates.

Really HAL?  We were on the HAL world cruise and got no such guarantee.   We just spoke to the head guy the first day and were accommodated.   

Honestly I wouldn't worry if I were you.   The one time we didn't get a table for two on a QM2 they drew one in on the floor plan for us! It was a great table location. 

22 minutes ago, jimdee3636 said:

If your worry is uncongenial tablemates, rather than tablemates per se, my impression is that quite a lot of people ask to be moved after the first night for that reason, so it should be resolvable. 

If it is really a concern, could you go for Britannia Club?

FWIW any guarantees for dining arrangements would most likely be prioritized by class of fare (highest to lowest), and by passenger status (frequent repeat customers) ... it sounds like you fall into neither category.
As others have mentioned, your advantages in this respect are:
1) it seems you booked early enough to gain a two-top booking (albeit non-guaranteed)
2) you are booked for the later dining, which is more likely to offer some flexibility
3) Even if your preference cannot be accommodated on your outbound leg, you will have the opportunity to make arrangements for your return leg.

If this is an absolute deal-breaker for you, then I believe your expectations might be unrealistic and you might be disappointed.

A related question: We are also booked on the July 7-21 voyages; however, we booked July 14-21 westbound (Iceland!) first and then, realizing that we could sail the eastbound voyage in an inside cabin for less than flying into Heathrow or Gatwick and spending a few days in Winchester (our original plan), we booked the July 7-14 voyage.  The upshot is that we have late seating in Brittania eastbound and early seating in Brittania westbound. We're waitlisted for early dining on the eastbound voyage; do others have experience with getting the waitlisted time? It's not a major concern for us - we'll manage either way - but early would be our preference.

1 hour ago, VintageCCG said:

FWIW any guarantees for dining arrangements would most likely be prioritized by class of fare (highest to lowest), and by passenger status (frequent repeat customers) ... it sounds like you fall into neither category.
As others have mentioned, your advantages in this respect are:
1) it seems you booked early enough to gain a two-top booking (albeit non-guaranteed)
2) you are booked for the later dining, which is more likely to offer some flexibility
3) Even if your preference cannot be accommodated on your outbound leg, you will have the opportunity to make arrangements for your return leg.

If this is an absolute deal-breaker for you, then I believe your expectations might be unrealistic and you might be disappointed.

VintageCCG:

We booked this cruise in mid-September of 2018, nearly ten months pre-cruise, so that may work in our favor, and we have a balcony cabin, which probably won't hurt with respect to fare category. And as many have noted, late dining seems to be less in demand in general. So my wife and I have decided to think positively and see what happens (or what the maitre d' can accomplish) on embarkation day or shortly thereafter. 

Again, thanks to everyone who commented. 

6 hours ago, jimdee3636 said:

VintageCCG:

We booked this cruise in mid-September of 2018, nearly ten months pre-cruise, so that may work in our favor, and we have a balcony cabin, which probably won't hurt with respect to fare category. And as many have noted, late dining seems to be less in demand in general. So my wife and I have decided to think positively and see what happens (or what the maitre d' can accomplish) on embarkation day or shortly thereafter. 

Again, thanks to everyone who commented. 

Dear Jimdee,

I do agree with you and your wife to keep an open mind and postive thoughts on your upcoming sailing on the QM2 related to your Dining Preferences.

The QM2 is our favorite and will be sailing on her in 111 days and looking forward to the Crew and their Professional  Service passengers experience.

We will be in the Britannia Club with a requested Table for 2 for our sailing. On our last voyage we were not pleased with the placement of our table. At the completion of our first dinner we approached the Maitre D' who was happy to relocate us to another table to our satisfaction. Our Waiters were truly exceptional though out our sailing. The same service we experienced many times in the past when we once dined in the Britannia Restaurant.

Pls look forward to your experience on board the QM2 and all that it will offer to you. We have made many friends with fellow passengers of the past which we are still in contact with...

Bon Voyage !!!

36 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Dear Jimdee,

I do agree with you and your wife to keep an open mind and postive thoughts on your upcoming sailing on the QM2 related to your Dining Preferences.

The QM2 is our favorite and will be sailing on her in 111 days and looking forward to the Crew and their Professional  Service passengers experience.

We will be in the Britannia Club with a requested Table for 2 for our sailing. On our last voyage we were not pleased with the placement of our table. At the completion of our first dinner we approached the Maitre D' who was happy to relocate us to another table to our satisfaction. Our Waiters were truly exceptional though out our sailing. The same service we experienced many times in the past when we once dined in the Britannia Restaurant.

Pls look forward to your experience on board the QM2 and all that it will offer to you. We have made many friends with fellow passengers of the past which we are still in contact with...

Bon Voyage !!!

Thanks for the helpful and encouraging thoughts. I think we'll have a great cruise and I hope you do, too.

Jim

• Thanks 1

Just to put a different experience, we asked for a table for 6 when we booked Britannia Club and we're allocated a table for 2. It didn't make any difference to our enjoyment. 

On our very first cruise we were on a table for 2 but we're so close to our neighbours that it might as well have been a 4 top. Since then we have always asked to be on a table for 6 and thoroughly enjoyed our selves.

Incidentally,  if we had to share a table at at a hotel on land we would be horrified. 

On the first night of our Caribbean cruise last November (QV) a couple at a large table in the MDR next to us were exceedingly angry that they had not a table for 2. It seemed to transpire that they were not on the full fare we pay in the UK which gives dining preference. We heard  it explained that tables for 2 were allocated on a system preference by those who booked early and according to fare.  The fare part is well published in the UK, as to its benefits. This couple moaned to everyone and fortunately we never saw them again (otherwise we would have asked to move) as they were very unpleasant in their attitude to the wait staff.

As you have requested late sitting, and booked some months ahead I am sure you have a very good chance of your request. Do go, and have a wonderful time on a cruise that will probably be different, but thoroughly enjoyable.

• Like 1

It should be noted that many of the tables for 2 in the QM2 Britannia restaurant are situated so that they are only about 12-18 inches from another table for 2 or more people, so that you can choose to ignore the people next to you or strike up a converstion if desired.   We have met many nice, interesting people while sitting next to another table.   

In the US, we rarely share tables with strangers.  In Europe, I've been asked many times to share a table.  Different cultures.  It does feel a little weird, but I think because it is so different from what is normal to me.

On our first TA, we were assigned to a table for 4.  They were lovely people.  But, we would have preferred to either have a table for eight or a table for two.  With 4 we felt obligated to wait for them.  Still, they proved to be delightful and entertaining.  

We have sailed Cunard twice. Both times we requested a table for two and both times we got one, although it was never confirmed in advance.  

The one in Britannia was a true table for 2. In Britannia Club it was one of 4 tables for 2 that were close together. I have to add, as an introvert, that we did enjoy the company of the other 3 tables. We could dip in and out of conversation as we liked 🙂

On 3/9/2019 at 3:26 PM, jimdee3636 said:

My wife and I have booked a 21-night roundtrip from New York on the QM2 for this summer (July 7-28). Although we are experienced cruisers, it will be our first time on a Cunard ship. We have a guaranteed late dinner seating in the Britannia dining room. We have requested a table for two for all nights, but neither we nor our travel agent can get a definitive answer as to whether a table for two can be guaranteed (in writing) in advance, or whether we have to wait until the first day of the cruise and ask the maitre d' (with no assurance the request can be accommodated). This is a major issue for us, and we may cancel the booking if we have to eat each night with a table of strangers. Any information from prior QM2 guests with experience in this matter will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I am not sure if you have the SAVER FARE in America, but if you have paid the full Cunard fare I am almost certain you will get your table for two if not, it can be good fun sharing a table, we have had many a good laughs and conversations, the only downside on sharing if some of your fellow travellers go for pre dinner cocktails and do not bother if you are kept waiting, to me that’s rude and bad manners.

Also I think you will love Q M 2 it is so different than any other cruise ship you will have sailed on, we have found the staff great, and for us it is the only ship to cross the Atlantic on

Looking foward to your post cruise follow up.🍷🥃