Manhattan cruise terminal sail out past Statue of Liberty?

Vineyard View

We left from Cape Liberty on a Celebrity cruise a few years ago and the captain was kind enough to sail up river somewhat above the Statue of Liberty so we had great views of her and the lower Manhattan skyline.  We've been to NYC many times and done the Circle Line cruise around Manhattan at least 4 or 5 times.  Just can't get enough of those views <g>.  We've sailed into NYC (Red Hook in Brooklyn) many times as well and seeing Lady Liberty lit up in the pre-dawn hours is always a thrill and worth getting up at 6 am for.

58 minutes ago, BarbinMich said:

We left from Cape Liberty on a Celebrity cruise a few years ago and the captain was kind enough to sail up river somewhat above the Statue of Liberty so we had great views of her and the lower Manhattan skyline.  We've been to NYC many times and done the Circle Line cruise around Manhattan at least 4 or 5 times.  Just can't get enough of those views <g>.  We've sailed into NYC (Red Hook in Brooklyn) many times as well and seeing Lady Liberty lit up in the pre-dawn hours is always a thrill and worth getting up at 6 am for.

I believe it was Capt Leo and Capt Kate who used to do that. I think it might be up to the Captain’s discretion. There is no guarantee if you cruise from Bayonne you’ll take the detour. If you definitely want a good view you need to sail from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. 

23 hours ago, Got2Cruise said:

I believe it was Capt Leo and Capt Kate who used to do that. I think it might be up to the Captain’s discretion. There is no guarantee if you cruise from Bayonne you’ll take the detour. If you definitely want a good view you need to sail from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. 

We had Capt. Kate on her inaugural cruise so guess she got the idea from Capt. Leo. <g>  So glad she did.  As I probably said in my initial post this was the first time we had sailed from any of the NY ports.  We have arrived at Red Hook in Brooklyn many times as we've done a lot of TAs.  But the ship sails in the dark, before sunrise, and I think we had to get up at 6 am to get a distant look at Lady Liberty lit up.  That's pretty impressive, too.

1 hour ago, BarbinMich said:

We have arrived at Red Hook in Brooklyn many times as we've done a lot of TAs.  But the ship sails in the dark, before sunrise, and I think we had to get up at 6 am to get a distant look at Lady Liberty lit up.  That's pretty impressive, too.

Agreed. :classic_smile:

enhance

(photo by turtles06; sail-in to Brooklyn Cruise Terminal)

On 3/13/2019 at 9:21 AM, antmaril said:

Photos taken (NCL Gem) on the way out and upon our return to NYC.  

129FAFE0-CE75-4390-AEC2-3AE02364D5EF.jpeg

412AEED9-B3DE-4218-9C44-B0D81BF67582.jpeg

She is just awesome....

BEAUTIFUL PICTURES 

3 hours ago, antmaril said:

Thanks!  That view never gets old.  

You are welcome and you are so right...…..

I am sailing out of Manhattan next month...actually 3 week from tomorrow:classic_biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

If you stand in the back of the ship on the Waterfront deck you will be able to see both sides of the river when sailing and yes, you will definitely see Lady Liberty.

• 1 month later...

I am glad that I started this question as well!  Thank you. It does have some great Information thanks to so many posters!

we are still trying to decide if we will take the ferry out to the SOL island in our brief visit. This thread helped me realize that we will have the opportunity to see her if we do not. 

So thanks again for all the pictures and advice/information!