Cabin Temperature

cathyandmike

We are booked on the. 2021 Insignia World Cruise in a PH3. I like it especially cool when I sleep.  Is it possible to have the chief engineer adjust the temperature of the cabin from 9 pm to 9 am to 68 degrees?  

I've requested lowing the temperature of the cabin in the evenings on mass cruise lines to no avail. 

Please tell me this request will be possible since it seems Oceania can do just about anything a passenger requests. 

Thanks!

They can adjust it up to a point. Not individually every evening at 9 PM and again at 9 AM but adjust it to a “lower standard” so that the coolest setting will be cooler than before.

It’s not like the Nest and other new thermostats that you can schedule by the hour. In fact, there is no digital temperature setting per se, just a sliding scale from hottest to coolest.

Edited by Paulchili

In my experience it's all hit and miss. Depending on the weather where you're at the temp can fluctuate considerably in your room. Although we like having our curtains open there are many times you must close them in the day to keep the sun from baking your room. Our travel clock has a thermometer on it so it's easy to see the fluctuations. 

Other factors can be where you're at in the ship and if you have any of those blissful idiots that love the sound of the ocean so they sleep with their door open that are close to you. This effects the efficiency of the system in your area.

Then there are some rooms that just don't work right. We had friends on Regatta that were in a PH on 10 above the Waves/Barista area that the engineers could never get it to cool. The GM gave them an additional room on a lower floor to sleep in and a considerable OBC since there was nothing they could do. 

We've had engineering come to our cabin on several cruises to fully open the adjustable air flow vent to allow the A/C to be more efficient with a fuller flow and it made the cabin cooler.  I don't think the air temperature can be adjusted below the lowest setting on the thermostat, which for us is still warm, but additional air flow was effective.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2019 at 7:33 AM, ORV said:

We had friends on Regatta that were in a PH on 10 above the Waves/Barista area 

We're currently on the world cruise on Insignia in a mid-ship PH1 suite.  The Waves area is above us....we're on deck 8, Waves is on 9 but I don't think there are any cabins on deck 10...just Horizons, Artist's Loft, the Library, Toscana and Polo.  And Baristas is on deck 5, right in front of the Grand Dining Room. 

Anyway, the thermostat in our cabin is a dial that's controlled by us...no crew needs to mess with it. It's very responsive, as a matter of fact, we turn it down at night and sometimes it gets freezing! I'm pretty sure that the numbers on it are in Celcius. So don't worry about it...you can go from hot to cold in a jiffy!

4 minutes ago, Go-Bucks! said:

Anyway, the thermostat in our cabin is a dial that's controlled by us...no crew needs to mess with it. It's very responsive, as a matter of fact, we turn it down at night and sometimes it gets freezing! I'm pretty sure that the numbers on it are in Celcius. So don't worry about it...you can go from hot to cold in a jiffy!

Is it  a digital  thermostat?

26 minutes ago, Go-Bucks! said:

We're currently on the world cruise on Insignia in a mid-ship PH1 suite.  The Waves area is above us....we're on deck 8, Waves is on 9 but I don't think there are any cabins on deck 10...just Horizons, Artist's Loft, the Library, Toscana and Polo.  And Baristas is on deck 5, right in front of the Grand Dining Room. 

Duh, you're exactly right, I had that backwards, they were on 8 BELOW the waves area. I had that all fouled up as Baristas in on 5. You'd think I'd never been on an Oceania ship before. LOL. This is what happens when you stop drinking for a while. 

Anyway, back to your fun.

• Haha 1

On 3/11/2019 at 11:21 PM, cathyandmike said:

We are booked on the. 2021 Insignia World Cruise in a PH3. I like it especially cool when I sleep.  Is it possible to have the chief engineer adjust the temperature of the cabin from 9 pm to 9 am to 68 degrees?  

I've requested lowing the temperature of the cabin in the evenings on mass cruise lines to no avail. 

Please tell me this request will be possible since it seems Oceania can do just about anything a passenger requests. 

Thanks!

We are currently in a PH1 on the Riviera.

no problem getting below 65 at night by adjusting the thermostat in the room to full cold.  There are no temperature markings in degrees so you will just have to experiment a little.

in the morning we turn it a bit warmer.  If we open the balcony door and cabin door simultaneously, it warms the room up instantly.

30 minutes ago, Nachosdelux said:

We are currently in a PH1 on the Riviera.

no problem getting below 65 at night by adjusting the thermostat in the room to full cold.  There are no temperature markings in degrees so you will just have to experiment a little.

in the morning we turn it a bit warmer.  If we open the balcony door and cabin door simultaneously, it warms the room up instantly.

I was on a Celebrity ship where a guy lost a finger while doing this. Well not warming his room but answering the door for room service while having the balcony door open.  Gotta watch that wind tunnel.

Just disembarked Riviera yesterday we were on deck 8, never had one good nights sleep, worst sleep on any Cruise Line, first time on Oceania. Engineer came out 3 times but kept telling us there was nothing wrong with a/c and could not do anything about it. Far too warm to sleep at night, normally sleep really well on a cruise.

On 3/13/2019 at 10:08 AM, LHT28 said:

Is it  a digital  thermostat?

No, it's a dial with numbers ranging from 15 to 30.  Not sure if these are actual temperatures but we just turn it up (warmer) or down (cooler) to regulate it.  It changes very quickly.

Just now, Go-Bucks! said:

No, it's a dial with numbers ranging from 15 to 30.  Not sure if these are actual temperatures but we just turn it up (warmer) or down (cooler) to regulate it.  It changes very quickly.

thanks

The cabin attendants normally adjust the thermometers everyday to their prescribe setting as part of their routine. Between that and closing up the curtains the cabin is normally cool when one returns from their shore tours.

17 hours ago, pinotlover said:

The cabin attendants normally adjust the thermometers everyday to their prescribe setting as part of their routine. Between that and closing up the curtains the cabin is normally cool when one returns from their shore tours.

Luckily, our attendants haven't touched it. We get to keep it where we want it. They close our sheers after morning service and the drapes after evening service.

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

I've never had an attendant touch ours. They have opened the curtains before when I wanted them closed. 

Just now, ORV said:

I've never had an attendant touch ours. They have opened the curtains before when I wanted them closed. 

I agree

we usually close the drapes in the day to keep the sun from heating up the cabin  but usually wait until after they service the room in the morning to go & close them 😉

The cold air temperature is FIXED.  Cannot be made any colder.   What the thermostat does is controls a vent on air handler -- opens it wider or closes it more depending on the temperature.   The Engineer team will adjust how far it opens to a certain extent.  The issue really depends on your neighbors and how hot/cold they like their cabins too.   The cabins are sectionalized and several cabins share the cool air source.   My DW likes the cabin cold too.  We have been on a number of R shipsin a PH  and 68 is a stretch...

Edited by PaulMCO

11 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I agree

we usually close the drapes in the day to keep the sun from heating up the cabin  but usually wait until after they service the room in the morning to go & close them 😉

Agreed. Closing the drapes during the day makes a huge difference in cabin temperature. Keep it cool during the day and there should be no problem in the evening getting the temperature cold enough to freeze a polar bear. 

2 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

The cold air temperature is FIXED.  Cannot be made any colder.   What the thermostat does is controls a vent on air handler -- opens it wider or closes it more depending on the temperature.   The Engineer team will adjust how far it opens to a certain extent.  The issue really depends on your neighbors and how hot/cold they like their cabins too.   The cabins are sectionalized and several cabins share the cool air source.   My DW likes the cabin cold too.  We have been on a number of R shipsin a PH  and 68 is a stretch...

+1 Paul, but I will add that we have never been on ANY SHIP where we got the cabin to be as cool as I would like it (68-ish) with the curtains undrawn.

The cabin  drapes are insulated for a reason.    

• Like 1

As I posted earlier, since we are always gone all day during port days, we always return to our cabin and find the curtains completely drawn, so the room is cool then. We usually then open them to let light, which means heat in. If one is in , or in and out, of their cabin all day leaving their curtains opened, then solar heating will win that battle. The ship’s system is not set up to allow one to set the temperature at 60 to overcome ( especially in the tropics) summer solar heating . Keep your doors closed and your curtains drawn!

Our problem is not all room temperature at night. Another issue is the weight of the comforters. We often find just the sheet to be too cool, while the heavy comforter gets far to hot. I’ve awakened sweating in the middle of the night, especially if I had a  heavier meal the evening before. Cool weather comforters on tropical cruises are not a good combination, IMO. That leads to the room temperature issue, I believe.