Medallionet and Elite

antsp

1 minute ago, antsp said:

Still trying to figure out what’s the best way for Medallionet and Elite. Do you buy before you sail  or one onboard. And if so what is the cost. Thanks.  

If the price is good I pre buy.

With the new ships coming online with MedallionNet it is hard to tell. 

Especially with some comments in the last day or so for some they have no choice pre cruise at all to buy. Nothing showing except in cabin phone calls 10 minutes for $49.

46 minutes ago, antsp said:

The price works out about $7:50 a day for a 18 night cruise. Seems very confusing what Elite gets you with the new tech internet 

I don't think there is anything concrete yet for Elites.

But that $7.50 price seems consistant since regular price is $9.99 per day.

At that price I think it is a good deal if the system is working well.

After sailing the CB and Regal a few times I am spoiled.

Buy pre-board as from what ive seen you save 50% if bought online before. My upcoming cruise on Royal the MedallionNet is being offered at $59.99 online before boarding. On the ship it will cost $119.99

I'm not Elite so I can't comment on that.

Is the free internet per person or per cabin? We are sailing the 23rd on a 7 day and I don’t need much internet,just to check emails from home a few times a days. We have an.elderly parent and elderly dogs, plus  to check credit card transactions.

25 minutes ago, knbcruisers said:

Is the free internet per person or per cabin? We are sailing the 23rd on a 7 day and I don’t need much internet,just to check emails from home a few times a days. We have an.elderly parent and elderly dogs, plus  to check credit card transactions.

Each person who has platinum or elite status would receive the free minutes.

So, is the medallionnet a faster internet than the free minutes?  Also, if you only buy it for one person, how do they manage that?  Is it just one log in to one device at a time?  So I purchase one, and can use it on my computer or my wife's tablet, but not both at the same time? 

5 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

So, is the medallionnet a faster internet than the free minutes?  Also, if you only buy it for one person, how do they manage that?  Is it just one log in to one device at a time?  So I purchase one, and can use it on my computer or my wife's tablet, but not both at the same time? 

Yes, you are correct.  One device log in at one time (unless you purchase additional plans).  My  husband and I shared but only one device could be logged on at one time.  I am not sure about the regular internet speed but the medallion was incredibly fast.  We loved it.

Here's the email I received from Princess, and a shot of the Learn More tab. It seems to say that Platinum and Elite should wait until they are on board to make their internet decisions. I am on the Ruby this Sunday, so I will check it out.

Screenshot_20190310-132640_Gmail.jpg

Screenshot_20190310-133723_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I called Captain's Circle to ask how did my Platinum benefit mesh with the new internet plans.  Here is what I was told: Do not purchase the internet plan before embarkation.  When I board the ship, log in to the MedallionNet and it will recognize me as Platinum and offer me the free 250 minutes or a discounted rate for one of the unlimited packages.  Other CC members have posted that the 'discount' is the same as if you just bought the pre-cruise promotion.  I won't be able to compare the discounts for two reasons.  I won't see what I'm being offered until I logon on embarkation day and the pre-cruise discounted plans Princess is offering in my personalizer is for PrincessConnect, not MedallionNet.  Whatever - it will be what it will be.

If you purchase the unlimited on board, you can use OBC you may have to pay for some or all of it. If you purchase it pre-cruise, you cannot use any OBC.

If you want the platinum/elite discount on board (in lieu of your free minutes benefit), you need to purchase it on embarkation day according to Princess. Of course the discounted price is about the same as anyone without platinum/elite status can purchase pre-cruise.

I am onboard the Caribbean Princess right now. When I logged into Medallion Net, I was given 2 options. Select my 150 free minutes or purchase unlimited with a 25% discount. I selected the unlimited and my account was charged 49.99. My OBC easily covered the expense.  I’m glad I didn’t pre-purchase for $59.99. 

This was for one device usage at a time. There was also an option to use 4 devices ( I don’t recall the cost). My DH cost to just use his free minutes. 

The speed is unbelievable! I have been able to stream shows from HBO Now without any delay or slowdown. And no need to logout. 

• Like 1

I'm just off the Regal on Sunday.  I'm Elite.  I pre purchased the Unlimited plan for $59.00 before the cruise.

When I logged in on board the Regal on embarkation day, I was given the 150 free Elite benefit minutes as the only option and when that ran out my Unlimited Package plan started for the rest of the cruise.  The Medallionet was super fast and worth the money!

52 minutes ago, New York Nana said:

I am onboard the Caribbean Princess right now. When I logged into Medallion Net, I was given 2 options. Select my 150 free minutes or purchase unlimited with a 25% discount. I selected the unlimited and my account was charged 49.99. My OBC easily covered the expense.  I’m glad I didn’t pre-purchase for $59.99. 

This was for one device usage at a time. There was also an option to use 4 devices ( I don’t recall the cost). My DH cost to just use his free minutes. 

The speed is unbelievable! I have been able to stream shows from HBO Now without any delay or slowdown. And no need to logout. 

I agree - the speed was incredible.  We paid the same ($52 with tax) and have no complaints at all.  My husband used his free minutes but whenever he wanted to catch up his fishing info, etc....he used the medallion net.  Never had a problem at all!

So, just to be clear, you can purchase onboard and it's slightly cheaper than pre purchase, and if I only purchase for one person, I can use it on multiple devices (phone, tablet, laptop), not not more than one device at a time?  I could use it on my laptop in the morning, and my tablet in the evening? 

19 hours ago, ckrcjr said:

Yes, you are correct.  One device log in at one time (unless you purchase additional plans).  My  husband and I shared but only one device could be logged on at one time.  I am not sure about the regular internet speed but the medallion was incredibly fast.  We loved it.

This is strictly not correct, you can create a Bluetooth hotspot through your phone and tether from that. 

Edited by antsp
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1