WHY LATE CHECK IN TIME WHEN CHECKING IN

I completed our online check-in yesterday and the earliest option to choose of when we would be getting to the ship was 1:30 to 2 o’clock. Why have they change the options as we usually get to the ship between 11 and 11:30.

This is for Independence of the seas leaving Fort Lauderdale on March 23

In their Cruise Documents...they stagger passenger boarding times to avoid a mob of people all getting aboard at the same time.

Since the cabins are not ready until 1pm anyway on most cruise the urgency to go much earlier isn't there. We used to be "early birds" to board too...but have now also learned that doing so isn't that big of a deal.

• Like 2

Just now, ShillyShally said:

Also you can show up whenever you'd like and should have no problem getting in to check-in or on board depending on when they start boarding.  They are only suggested times.

Thanks

Thats what I thought but just wanted to make sure. We like to board early to have lunch and explore and it’s usually very quiet which is nice.

Just now, brenderlou said:

Thanks

Thats what I thought but just wanted to make sure. We like to board early to have lunch and explore and it’s usually very quiet which is nice.

We do too, also since it's "Day One" we figure we want to be on for as long as possible!

18 minutes ago, brenderlou said:

I completed our online check-in yesterday and the earliest option to choose of when we would be getting to the ship was 1:30 to 2 o’clock. Why have they change the options as we usually get to the ship between 11 and 11:30.

This is for Independence of the seas leaving Fort Lauderdale on March 23

The early slots are gone since you are doing your online checkin on the later side.  You can still show up when you want to since they do not enforce check in times at US ports yet.

I always go back and forth on this - I want to be on board starting my vacation, but I don't want to have to lug my carry-ons around for a couple hours waiting for rooms to open. It would be nice to go straight to our room for once, and drop the bags off immediately. Ultimately, my impatience wins out and we always show up early. 🙄

1 minute ago, ramja96 said:

I always go back and forth on this - I want to be on board starting my vacation, but I don't want to have to lug my carry-ons around for a couple hours waiting for rooms to open. It would be nice to go straight to our room for once, and drop the bags off immediately. Ultimately, my impatience wins out and we always show up early. 🙄

We NEVER bring carry ins since room isn’t available until 1:00. We check everything and enjoy the ship while watching others lug their luggage around!!!

23 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

The early slots are gone since you are doing your online checkin on the later side.  You can still show up when you want to since they do not enforce check in times at US ports yet.

That's the key word...in the near future with The Key program...it might be likely to be more and more enforced unless you pay the bribe fee...uh...convenience fee to board sooner.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, brenderlou said:

We NEVER bring carry ins since room isn’t available until 1:00. We check everything and enjoy the ship while watching others lug their luggage around!!!

At the very least, I have to carry my C-Pap machine. Too expensive to place in the hands of baggage handlers. We also have our own wine that we like to have on the ship. Otherwise, I would prefer not to have any carry-ons.

2 hours ago, ramja96 said:

At the very least, I have to carry my C-Pap machine. Too expensive to place in the hands of baggage handlers. We also have our own wine that we like to have on the ship. Otherwise, I would prefer not to have any carry-ons.

We always get to ship as early as we want.....we have a small amount of carryon luggage....yes, DH's CPap machine and a beach bag.  Find a chair on the pool deck, do a little lunch in WJ or at Cafe Promenade (of course depends on ship).....enjoy time until cabins open....then have more pool time....until muster....but it is MY afternoon and I want to enjoy it onboard.

3 hours ago, brenderlou said:

While you many not need to bring carry-ons upon embarkation. However other people might need to.  The cruiseline FAQ states you need carry any necessary medication/medical supplies with you.  Also if you want to bring wine/non-alchoholic beverages aboard it needs to be in carryon luggage.

Also as others have stated they like to change into swim suits etc.

Each to his own about how they want to handle embarkation day.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2019 at 12:49 PM, brenderlou said:

We had the Key recently so it was nice to drop off carry-ons and walk around sans luggage until rooms opened but in all honesty we saw Playmakers, we saw the draft list and the drink list, and we parked it right there so we easily could have kept our carry-ons with us.

Cabins were open at 1:30PM on our recent Indy cruise.  But even if we didn't have key, I don't carry on enough to make it worth missing as much time on the ship as I can get!

On 3/14/2019 at 12:49 PM, brenderlou said:

We only travel with carry on, and like to get unpacked and settled in asap so we set with luggage and enjoy a snack while people watching & waiting for cabin to become available.