Magic Upgrade question

matymil

We are sailing the Magic next March with our 16 month old son and I was just offered an upgrade. We are currently in a cove balcony which is on the second deck, we were offered an upgrade to the regular balcony on deck 9 for $57 total. I chose the cove balcony because of the shade, how close it is to the water, plus the balcony size is alittle bigger than the regular one. The only reason I would take the upgrade is to be closer to all the action on deck 9 and also it would probably make getting places easier with the baby. IYO Is it worth it to upgrade or just stay in the cove balcony?

Not to nitpick, but what you describe isn't an upgrade but an upsell. Regardless, I would have to ask where on deck 9 the cabin was located. About 3/4th of the cabins on deck nine are below two pool areas and the Lido buffet which could make for noise.

Edited by joepeka
  • Like 1

if you booked a cove for a reason the stick with it. I’ve never had them but they seem cool and definitely unique and they sell fast. You could do a regular balcony anytime on any ship but you can’t always do a cove. They would probably sell your cove for a lot more than the $57 they are charging you to “upgrade”. Being near deck 2 can be good as well for when you are at port as you can quickly go up the stairs and not have to wait for the crowded elevators and magic stops at 3

i say stick with your room and enjoy 

• Like 1

Had a similar offer a couple of days ago for our cruise at the end of August.  The "upgrade" was for an Aft balcony on deck 9, port side,  under the Tides pool bar area (cabin 9460 to be exact).  That was an immediate no way in hell.  Our second cruise was under the pool deck because my FIL wanted to be closer to things.  The frist, and last time we will ever make that mistake. 

On 3/15/2019 at 7:56 PM, matymil said:

I chose the cove balcony because of the shade, how close it is to the water, plus the balcony size is alittle bigger than the regular one.

Sounds like you answered your own question. We love the cove balconies. I'd keep it. Save the regular balcony for ships that don't have the cove balcony!

I guess we are in the minority.  We just had our first cove on the Dream,  we did have one with no lifeboat above us but we still didnt love it.  We did like being closer to the water at sea,  but not in ports,  we found it very loud (we faced the dock)  Also the last day we had rough seas and couldnt go out on the balcony because of the spray  (we were in the middle of the ship)  

As other's have said  check out what is above you.  Personally  I would move.  

I have been in two coves and 3 regular balconies.  The last balcony I had was upgraded from a cove to the 9th floor right under the Lido.  I heard nothing at night.  It was surprisingly quiet.  I enjoyed the cove, but I did find it easier to get around to the places that I needed from the 9th floor.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 1:56 PM, Techycruiser said:

I have been in two coves and 3 regular balconies.  The last balcony I had was upgraded from a cove to the 9th floor right under the Lido.  I heard nothing at night.  It was surprisingly quiet.  I enjoyed the cove, but I did find it easier to get around to the places that I needed from the 9th floor.

Which ship were you upgraded on?

On 3/16/2019 at 12:49 PM, darwinsrule said:

Had a similar offer a couple of days ago for our cruise at the end of August.  The "upgrade" was for an Aft balcony on deck 9, port side,  under the Tides pool bar area (cabin 9460 to be exact).  That was an immediate no way in hell.  Our second cruise was under the pool deck because my FIL wanted to be closer to things.  The frist, and last time we will ever make that mistake. 

We are on deck 9 on the Magic, wanted two balcony rooms together and these were the only ones we could find.  What kind of noise did you have and was it all the time or just at certain times of the day?

44 minutes ago, jandlcruise said:

We are on deck 9 on the Magic, wanted two balcony rooms together and these were the only ones we could find.  What kind of noise did you have and was it all the time or just at certain times of the day?

We declined the upgrade offer for 9460 and are staying in the cove we have booked for August. The second part of that was on the Disney Dream in 2011.  One and done experience.  Hopefullyl you have a quiet experence.  The issue we had on the Dream was the crew moving deck chairs around in the early hours of the morning.