Dinner table assignments with party of two?

On 3/16/2019 at 11:06 AM, matj2000 said:

What is wrong with sitting with other people?

Well, in my case I'm cruising with my mentally disabled brother.  He can get a little nervous if it's people he doesn't know, and even if he's comfortable he can sometimes be a little... well, overwhelming.  On our last cruise (Celebrity) and our upcoming cruise (RCI), I asked for a table for two without mentioning his disability - and they indicated that it wouldn't be a problem.

--bruce T.

On 3/16/2019 at 9:21 AM, rikkimiller said:

super helpful! Thank you! 

You are still 2 months out, call royal or have your TA call to switch over to MTD where 2 tops are the norm.  As other have said the 2 tops are so close that your still with others. If you send a request to RCL ask for a balcony edge  2 top, they are by themselves.  

I have heard about getting stuck at a table with an intolerable boor, or people who don't speak your language, or people who don't show up to dinner. 

As requested I will tell you a happy story. 

We always do 6:00 traditional dining. We have never made any seating requests but have always been placed at our own table. A year ago our group of 4 arrived at our table on the first night and found that we were seated at an 8-top with a family of 4. We got along well and last fall all 8 of us went on vacation together. 

Or you do what we do (not so much for 3 nights but for 7+) We start with a table for 2 MTD and if we make friends throughout the cruise we start making reservations with them...tables for 4, 6, 8 or 10 depending on how big our circle of friends gets!!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Btank said:

Well, in my case I'm cruising with my mentally disabled brother.  He can get a little nervous if it's people he doesn't know, and even if he's comfortable he can sometimes be a little... well, overwhelming.  On our last cruise (Celebrity) and our upcoming cruise (RCI), I asked for a table for two without mentioning his disability - and they indicated that it wouldn't be a problem.

--bruce T.

Totally get it. My youngest brother has autism, and our last cruise (Jewel of the Seas 3/2017)  we were totally accommodated for him with dining. I checked in with the HW during embarkation and they told us they had just the dining team for our family in mind, and we truly fell in love with them! Ping and Martin. Best of luck on your next cruise! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SakeDad said:

Or you do what we do (not so much for 3 nights but for 7+) We start with a table for 2 MTD and if we make friends throughout the cruise we start making reservations with them...tables for 4, 6, 8 or 10 depending on how big our circle of friends gets!!

This is super helpful! We have 6pm traditional dining. We will start with 2 and expand if we want 🙂 Just want to ensure I have time to talk to my mom and not rush through dinner. Thank you! 

11 hours ago, SG65CB said:

I have heard about getting stuck at a table with an intolerable boor, or people who don't speak your language, or people who don't show up to dinner. 

As requested I will tell you a happy story. 

We always do 6:00 traditional dining. We have never made any seating requests but have always been placed at our own table. A year ago our group of 4 arrived at our table on the first night and found that we were seated at an 8-top with a family of 4. We got along well and last fall all 8 of us went on vacation together. 

This is lovely! So happy to hear it went so well. Will definitely keep an eye out for new friends on the ship as always! 

11 hours ago, davekathy said:

What's wrong with not wanting to sit with other people? 

Classical dining has been a long time tradition with cruising.

People are actually forced to socialize & interact with strangers.

Even today it is much better than two people sitting there staring at Iphones….

4 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

I won't disagree with the concept that traditional dining has been a main stay of cruising for a long time.  However, with the advent of specialty restaurants, the main dining room and the standard 'tablemate' concept, has undergone significant changes.  The concept of being put together 'relatively randomly' to interact with each other -- to me is wonderful yet for others dreadful.  I wish people wouldn't have their cell phones out at dinner anywhere......never mind on a ship.  Cruising is time to 'escape' the rat race of the rest of our lives, not bring it with us.

6 minutes ago, Paulette3028 said:

I won't disagree with the concept that traditional dining has been a main stay of cruising for a long time.  However, with the advent of specialty restaurants, the main dining room and the standard 'tablemate' concept, has undergone significant changes.  The concept of being put together 'relatively randomly' to interact with each other -- to me is wonderful yet for others dreadful.  I wish people wouldn't have their cell phones out at dinner anywhere......never mind on a ship.  Cruising is time to 'escape' the rat race of the rest of our lives, not bring it with us.

I guess you are right about the dreadful part.  

As much as I used to enjoy it, people do not interact very much anymore.

The devices are ruing cruises as we know it.

For me & my family,  we have never had any Wifi plan and never will.

On 3/16/2019 at 12:06 PM, matj2000 said:

What is wrong with sitting with other people?

You never know if they are going to be on time or late. Usually we have a couple that can't tell time.

59 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

We've been cruising long enough to know/remember the MDR dining tradition.  Some still prefer sharing a table in the MDR with strangers. After many cruises we no longer do. You could say that for those sitting at larger tables also. Only speaking for ourselves, no phones (always in the safe) at anytime during our cruises and we actually talk to each other. Imagine that! 

Edited by davekathy

I love my table for 2 or for my family and friends only, I dont know why some people love to seat with strangers at sea when thats not common  in land :classic_huh:. also I dont see any one trying to see with a stranger at the windjammer but yet everything goes at MDR lol

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 11:32 AM, rikkimiller said:

Hi all, my mom and I (23 y/o female) are taking a 3 night cruise on the Navigator of the Seas over Memorial Day Weekend. We usually cruise with our family of six, so we aren't put at a table with other people. We have dinner set for 6pm every night. Will we automatically be put with other groups? How big are they usually and is there any way to ensure this doesn't happen? Would also love people's happy and horror stories on being sat with other folks 🙂 Thanks friends! 

For every Horror story, there are several thousand happy stories.  Most people only complain and view share happiness so it looks lobsided.  I have no horror stories.  Sitting with other people are part of the experience, and the more diverse the group, the better it is.  Last cruise, I was at a table for 10, and 5 different countries were represented at the table.  Had some interesting conversations!

On 3/16/2019 at 11:32 AM, rikkimiller said:

Hi all, my mom and I (23 y/o female) are taking a 3 night cruise on the Navigator of the Seas over Memorial Day Weekend. We usually cruise with our family of six, so we aren't put at a table with other people. We have dinner set for 6pm every night. Will we automatically be put with other groups? How big are they usually and is there any way to ensure this doesn't happen? Would also love people's happy and horror stories on being sat with other folks 🙂 Thanks friends! 

My wife and I are a young 60’s and we always request a table for 2. Sometimes successful others not so much. On recent Grandeur we requested my time dining and were blessed with a wonderful maitre de who sat us in same are of a wonderful waiter. Every night even port days were great. 

We personally love a table for 2 as you can make small talk with neighbors or not! We had a ball sitting next to many different fun people. 

We always try to be friendly with everyone but sometimes a week or 12 nights is a long time to make small talk.

I suggest you go up to MDR ASAP onboard and charm the maitre de into a table for 2. My time dining is excellent! 

Avoid the pain of long boring dinners. Have the option of talking to neighbors or not.

On 3/16/2019 at 11:32 AM, rikkimiller said:

Would also love people's happy and horror stories on being sat with other folks 🙂

I understand your concerns, but I was struck by the irony of asking strangers to tell you horror stories about having to talk to strangers! (I know, asking for happy stories, too!)

We have had horrible meals with family, and nice meals with strangers, and vice versa. My comfort always is knowing my wife is the kindest person I have ever met--meaning we refrain from sharing our reactions to everybody until we are alone.😎

11 hours ago, davekathy said:

We've been cruising long enough to know/remember the MDR dining tradition.  Some still prefer sharing a table in the MDR with strangers. After many cruises we no longer do. You could say that for those sitting at larger tables also. Only speaking for ourselves, no phones (always in the safe) at anytime during our cruises and we actually talk to each other. Imagine that! 

This!  Also, for us, working full time - evenings and weekends are when we get to catch up and that's usually full of dogs, house things, adult kids, errands, etc.  We still cherish them and have fun doing it but when we cruise we really enjoy reconnecting.  We're also both introverts and our jobs have us constantly interacting with others, we use vacations to decompress now.

• Like 1