Mosque attack in New Zealand

Ladybentley

We were on the Solstice in Tauranga, New Zealand, on Friday when the dreadful Mosque attacks happened in Christchurch. By coincidence, we were also on a cruise ship, Holland America’s Volendam, eight years ago when the second, disastrous earthquake struck Christchurch. We remember that after passengers had returned to the ship that day, the captain made an announcement telling everyone about the earthquake and offering sympathy from himself, the crew and Holland America, to the New Zealanders on board. The ship screened news coverage of the disaster for the rest of the day and evening on a large screen in one of the lounges. We were among many of our fellow New Zealanders who gathered there in shock to watch what was happening. What a contrast to Celebrity who did nothing. No announcement; no expression of sympathy – it was just ignored. We didn’t find out about the horrific attack until late in the evening when we turned on the BBC News in our cabin. We were appalled to think that we had been enjoying the life onboard not knowing that this dreadful event had occurred in our country. Not impressed with Celebrity.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My Sister-in-Law is on a HAL cruise right now and they made no mention of it, so not surprised X didn't either.

Don't take no comment as meaning anything at all.

Edited by Guindalf
  • Like 2

It is not Celebrity's responsibility or obligation to inform you of world events all hours of the day. That's what internet package is for. Pay up if you want around the clock news coverage.

Edited by sfaaa
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, sfaaa said:

It is not Celebrity's responsibility or obligation to inform you of world events all hours of the day. That's what internet package is for. Pay up if you want around the clock news coverage.

As the ship was sailing in New Zealand waters and docked in a New Zealand port, the simple courtesy of an expression of sympathy to their New Zealand guests would  have been appropriate and appreciated.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Ladybentley said:

As the ship was sailing in New Zealand waters and docked in a New Zealand port, the simple courtesy of an expression of sympathy to their New Zealand guests would  have been appropriate and appreciated.

You aren’t the only one.  I was also on board The Solstice, and also quite shocked that there was no mention whatsoever of this terrible mass murder, while we were IN the country it occurred in.  No message or acknowledgement whatsoever, as we sailed the waters off the country affected.  I approached Guest relations for something that day, and I mentioned how upsetting it was (I had watched it on the tv and internet news).  The staff there had no idea what had happened.  I can only guess as to why it wasn’t as important as other “terrorist attacks”.  

But if you happen to come from a nation of mass shootings and/or terrorist attacks, or bombings etc, I can see how it would appear non newsworthy to you.  However, for New Zealand, this was a huge event, a loss of innocence for the nation.  It should have been addressed.

Luckily you in NZ have that incredible Prime Minister of yours to make the changes needed, and to offer genuine care and support.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

That is surprising. I was onboard a carnival ship several years ago when some similar major disaster occurred. It may have also been a mass shooting. I personally don’t watch the news on vacation so was unaware but the captain also made an announcement and expressed sympathies. It may have been in the city we embarked in, can’t remember exactly. But I agree, it’s surprising that nothing was said.

If you pay attention to world events, terrorist attacks or horrific mass shootings take place frequently.  Recently there were many innocents killed by the Nigerian terror group Boko Haram.  While the Muslim Brotherhood ran Egypt for a few years thousands of Christians were attacked, mostly in their churches.  Many innocents in Afghanistan are attacked routinely. Should these events been reported by cruise lines?

• Like 6

2 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

If you pay attention to world events, terrorist attacks or horrific mass shootings take place frequently.  Recently there were many innocents killed by the Nigerian terror group Boko Haram.  While the Muslim Brotherhood ran Egypt for a few years thousands of Christians were attacked, mostly in their churches.  Many innocents in Afghanistan are attacked routinely. Should these events been reported by cruise lines?

Big difference between reporting all events around the world, in unconnected cities and reporting an event that happened very near to you, in a traditionally safe country.

Moreover, it's not as frequent as you make out and try to downplay it. How many mass shootings with 50 dead have there been in the past year?

To combine that with a city you're visiting nearby, often for the first time and with no threat of danger, is very significant.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

You are missing the point.  We were in New Zealand when this happened in New Zealand.  Cruise ships in other places of course would not be expected to express shock and solidarity to this event, particularly since apparently many have become desensitized to such events, and can ramble off a multitude of similar situations.  Note to 4774Papa.....this was New Zealand’s FIRST massacre.  It has numbed the country.  If you are IN the country, as we were, it would have been classy to acknowledge that.  Remember back in the day in 1995 when the entire world sat aghast when  Timothy McVeigh killed 168 people in Oklahoma City?  This was New Zealand’s “Oklahoma City”. They aren’t numbed to the point of sending monthly “thoughts and prayers” to victims.  I hope they never are.

• Like 3

Should have been mentioned  and any guest with family in that area should have been given a chance to call home....

One year after 9-11,  we were on a cruise...All social  activity ceased at the exact  time of the 9-11 attack, Our Captain  came on the PA,  gave brief remarks and led a moment of silence and remembrance.  It was a classy thing to do...and  respected by all onboard.  

• Thanks 1

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 2:18 PM, Ladybentley said:

I agree. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I agree. 

I agree, too. 

It would have shown respect for the country the ship was visiting. 

I’m in Jacksonville Fl, and can say that it was a sad day for a lot of people even though it was so far away. 

New Zealand is a beautiful country, and one of the last places in the world to still have the kind of peaceful environment we used to have. 

It was terribly sad to see it happen, and to happen in Christchurch, the city that had already suffered so much!

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

I agree. 

Strange. In the other thread you said you don't think the captain should be making such announcements, and compared it to a plane crash on the other side of the world.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2645742-mosque-attach-in-christchurh/?do=findComment&comment=57059359

1 hour ago, The_Big_M said:

Strange. In the other thread you said you don't think the captain should be making such announcements, and compared it to a plane crash on the other side of the world.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2645742-mosque-attach-in-christchurh/?do=findComment&comment=57059359

The difference is making an announcement versus an expression of sympathy to the guests would  have been  appreciated. 

sometimes when something bad happens, the only thing people can think of is getting as far away as possible from the 'bad thing'

We lived in Christchurch and were there for the Earthquakes in 2011 - the only thing I could think of was getting out of Christchurch - away from the Earthquakes

Many people in Christchurch are probably thinking the same after this horrible massacre.

Maybe the Captain didn't want to 'scare' passengers by saying there had been a massacre in Christchurch?

Maybe if he did mention it, it might have changed the mood of some passengers and they would no longer enjoy the cruise?

but seeing as Solstice was in Tauranga when it happened maybe the captain could have just said something like "Earlier today there was a terror attack in the city of Christchurch... and briefly say what had happened....?

I don't know how I would have handled it if I was the captain

6 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Not if it is a letter.

An expression of sympathy via a form letter. Perhaps you should have clarified that in your original post that an announcement for that purpose would be bad, but a form letter is good, as it came across that you supported any form of sympathy was good.

I was on this cruise also, and I think no announcement might be the result of bad timing. I first found out about the attack on the way back from my tour to Hobbiton, and information was sketchy and constantly changing. By Friday night there was more information, but no real sense of the total horror until Saturday morning when we docked in Auckland. Should Celebrity have notified the New Zealand citizens and given them a chance to check in with loved ones? I would agree, but maybe Celebrity didn't have time or feel the need...remember, we sailed at 8 pm and people probably had time to call or be called,  if they knew, since we were in port 2 hours later than expected because of the tides. 

I was in Auckland until Monday, and it was sad to see people cope with something we in the US have dealt with way too often. But I have so much admiration for how Kiwis came together and responded. 

Do I think it would have been nice if Celebrity had made some kind of gesture, or announcement of sympathy? Absolutely yes. Do I fault Celebrity for not doing so? No, not really, I have no idea what discussions went on, and I suspect the lack of definitive information and it being the last night of the cruise had a lot to do with it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, medtech71 said:

What is with the modern world’s incessant need to have every feeling validated?  Especially by people they don’t even know?  

a) what does this even mean, and b) were you on the Solstice in New Zealand on that sailing in question, and c) are you from New Zealand, or d) are you just chirping in where you don’t belong to have your words in print without being involved in the event aka a very sad “15 minutes”?.  This thread addresses how those of us who were ON THAT SAILING feel.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Diamond lover said:

a) what does this even mean, and b) were you on the Solstice in New Zealand on that sailing in question, and c) are you from New Zealand, or d) are you just chirping in where you don’t belong to have your words in print without being involved in the event aka a very sad “15 minutes”?.  This thread addresses how those of us who were ON THAT SAILING feel.

a) Figure it out

b) No

c) No

d) You weren’t ‘involved in the event’ either.  No more than I was thousands of miles away.  Not a little bit...not in any way.  Being in the air space or territorial waters of a place where an event is occurring, doesn’t make you part of an event.