Anyone been to Noumea by cruise ship in last couple of months

Has anyone travelled to Noumea recently by way of a cruise?

If so, were you asked for documentation or ask to prove that you had comprehensive travel insurance..

A lot of cruisers on this forum have received recent notification from their respective cruise line that French authorities have specified visitors need

comprehensive travel insurance and that without it, you may be denied entry of the ship in Noumea.

Surely someone has been there recently?

Stays of 3 months or less than 3 months

Passport that is valid for at least 3 months after the return date

The supporting documents about:

Your livelihood in New Caledonia (example: bank card for international use, cash, etc.)

Your guarantees of return (ticket for returning to your country of origin or residence)

Your travel insurance certificate or health insurance (covering any expenses which might arise in connection with repatriation for medical reasons, urgent health attention and/or emergency hospital treatment) Minimum coverage : 30 000€

The purpose of your stay

The above was extracted from the list of entry requirements as it appears in the Noumea Tourist Bureau website. Let this put to rest the ongoing mostly ill informed debate.

2 hours ago, Russell21 said:

Stays of 3 months or less than 3 months

Passport that is valid for at least 3 months after the return date

The supporting documents about:

Your livelihood in New Caledonia (example: bank card for international use, cash, etc.)

Your guarantees of return (ticket for returning to your country of origin or residence)

Your travel insurance certificate or health insurance (covering any expenses which might arise in connection with repatriation for medical reasons, urgent health attention and/or emergency hospital treatment) Minimum coverage : 30 000€

The purpose of your stay

The above was extracted from the list of entry requirements as it appears in the Noumea Tourist Bureau website. Let this put to rest the ongoing mostly ill informed debate.

Well I would like to put it to bed as well, but no one has answered the one question I would like clarified.  Namely what checks or documentation was asked for in relation to travel insurance either by the French authorities or the cruise line from recent cruisers to Noumea?

Is anyone prepared to take the risk of being refused entry, that is the big question, but then again is anyone prepared to lose their house to pay medical expenses because they didn't take out insurance

How many here have been actually asked to show evidence of insurance cover when entering New Caledonia? Anyone? That is the question being asked, not whether or not you have it. I've been to Noumea at least 4 times, the last was about twelve months ago. I have never been asked to produce documentary evidence of cover nor has it ever been suggested that it would be asked for. Occasionally I may have had a policy document with me but not always. The only time I've been asked for travel insurance details was on my recent trip to Egypt and that was a request of the tour operator. I had to go online and get the insurers' name and policy number which was sufficient.( I had credit card insurance). Come to think of it, I don't think there was anyone on the tour who did not have cover.

12 hours ago, Bpos said:

If so, were you asked for documentation or ask to prove that you had comprehensive travel insurance..

A lot of cruisers on this forum have received recent notification from their respective cruise line that French authorities have specified visitors need

comprehensive travel insurance and that without it, you may be denied entry of the ship in Noumea.

The op has asked if someone has been there recently by cruise ship???

Going next week so will post back with an answer then 😁 

I was interested too because I get insurance with my credit card automatically that doesn’t have a policy number like regular insurance.

The correspondence from Carnival says that you can sign a waiver accepting financial costs if you don’t have insurance so regardless you’re never going to be stopped from going ashore. Worst case if they don’t accept that it’s on my credit card I’ll just sign that and get on with my day.

12 minutes ago, cruisin-m said:

I was interested too because I get insurance with my credit card automatically that doesn’t have a policy number like regular insurance.

In recent years we have been able to get a certificate of insurance from the insurance provider (eg Alliance in July 2017 for Nov 2017) for our CBA cc complimentary travel insurance, which includes a policy number. It is a 1 page doc they email to us.

5 hours ago, lyndarra said:

How many here have been actually asked to show evidence of insurance cover when entering New Caledonia? Anyone? That is the question being asked, not whether or not you have it. I've been to Noumea at least 4 times, the last was about twelve months ago. I have never been asked to produce documentary evidence of cover nor has it ever been suggested that it would be asked for. Occasionally I may have had a policy document with me but not always. The only time I've been asked for travel insurance details was on my recent trip to Egypt and that was a request of the tour operator. I had to go online and get the insurers' name and policy number which was sufficient.( I had credit card insurance). Come to think of it, I don't think there was anyone on the tour who did not have cover.

We were there in January and no one asked about anything except for the sea pass card to re board the ship.

15 hours ago, Bpos said:

We cruised there in January 2019, we were not asked about insurance by anyone.

I was there late in January and no problems.  Same as usual.  However I have a booking with P&O for Fiji/Noumea in 2020 and 3 weeks ago I received this notification.

From P&O      New Caledonia Immigration Requirement 

We look forward to welcoming you onboard for your cruise soon. The Immigration Authorities of New Caledonia have advised that guests who do not hold international travel insurance that covers medical costs, repatriation and other expenses may be refused entry into New Caledonia. We strongly recommend that you purchase appropriate international travel insurance for your P&O Cruise. For more information on the level of cover required. Please visit our website (AU) https://www.pocruises.com.au/plan/know-before-you-go/travel-insurance (NZ) https://www.pocruises.co.nz/plan/know-before-you-go/travel-insurance

Things have evidently changed but don't know how much they will police it.  It does say maybe!

On 3/18/2019 at 2:43 AM, MicCanberra said:

Personally, I think it a big risk to cruise without medical and medivac insurance, but that is my opinion.

I ask people if they would carry travel insurance if it were free. I tell my experience with cruises and insurance. I have great free insurance through my credit card, but I also purchase cruise insurance for cruises. I found only one company that offers travel insurance that is specifically for cruises. I usually file a claim about every third cruise that far exceeds the cost of the insurance. Since I discovered this insurance, my premiums have totaled $2600 with claims received of $5900. These are not reimbursement type claims, but flat payouts for when the ship alters itinerary. Ship can't dock in Grand Turk because of high winds...$500 (or $250 for each person on the policy). Ship changes the order of ports visited...$500. Itinerary gets changed before the cruise for whatever reason...$2,500 ($1,250 per person). Of course, it's not guaranteed, but after 27 cruises I have found it a good deal, and it's really good travel protection.

2 hours ago, Davey Wavey said:

I ask people if they would carry travel insurance if it were free. I tell my experience with cruises and insurance. I have great free insurance through my credit card, but I also purchase cruise insurance for cruises. I found only one company that offers travel insurance that is specifically for cruises. I usually file a claim about every third cruise that far exceeds the cost of the insurance. Since I discovered this insurance, my premiums have totaled $2600 with claims received of $5900. These are not reimbursement type claims, but flat payouts for when the ship alters itinerary. Ship can't dock in Grand Turk because of high winds...$500 (or $250 for each person on the policy). Ship changes the order of ports visited...$500. Itinerary gets changed before the cruise for whatever reason...$2,500 ($1,250 per person). Of course, it's not guaranteed, but after 27 cruises I have found it a good deal, and it's really good travel protection.

And with this kind of attitude, is it any wonder insurance premiums are so high?

6 hours ago, Davey Wavey said:

I have not seen that type of insurance offered in Australia. The insurance here just covers the usual cancellation, loss of luggage, medical, evacuation, trip interruption, hijacking etc. Some include loss of income, excess on car hire.

3 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I have not seen that type of insurance offered in Australia. The insurance here just covers the usual cancellation, loss of luggage, medical, evacuation, trip interruption, hijacking etc. Some include loss of income, excess on car hire.

InsureandGo pay for missed ports of call, and if you are isolated in your cabin due to illness.

16 hours ago, Belmont Babe said:

And with this kind of attitude, is it any wonder insurance premiums are so high?

You are right...great logic! People should obviously just buy insurance and not use it for the purpose in which it was purchased to keep the premiums low.