Theft from cabin safe on Anthem

52 minutes ago, lovescats5 said:

If you flew, maybe the TSA opened your bag and took it out.  I have had them search my bags and not put a notice in that they did.  Why so sure a room steward did it?  When was the last time you wore your jewelry?  Knowing that would give you a better time frame of when you think someone broke into your safe and took your jewelry.

We have had that happen just yesterday on our flight home from Miami as well as out flight down from Detroit last week. We also had it happen a couple other flights home from Fort Lauderdale to where they didn’t leave a note. 

Not saying this is what happened to the OP, but things do happen. 

2 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

The cabin steward has NO way to get into your safe.  (unless you wrote down your personal PIN and left that paper lying around)

Only security has the key that lets them into a locked safe.

Yep.  I once accidentally put in the wrong PIN to lock my safe and my cabin steward had to summon security to open my safe.

3 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

The cabin steward has NO way to get into your safe.  (unless you wrote down your personal PIN and left that paper lying around)

Only security has the key that lets them into a locked safe.

And they need a cabin inhabitant to be present to open the safe. I guess security could have broke into the safe and acted alone, but they are risking a lot for an item of some value. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, A&L_Ont said:

And they need a cabin inhabitant to be present to open the safe. I guess security could have broke into the safe and acted alone, but they are risking a lot for an item of some value. 

Agree, I just don't see that happening.

You mean to tell me it's less likely that security is in cahoots with the stewards robbing guest rooms than it is this person just not keeping track of their stuff and losing it somewhere?

• Haha 1

We once forgot to lock our safe and left the cabinet door open in a rush.  When i got back to the cabin, there was a note informing me that the safe was left open and was locked for me, and I had to call guest services to have it unlocked.  

To to break into a safe on a cruise ship is just incredibly unlikely, especially to relock it with the same PIN code.

There have been thefts on the Anthem, however, it is typically the xboxes in the Xbox pod in the sea plex that passengers break into and steal the xboxes out of.   Really sad when pax are stealing xboxes,  but I guess that’s what cruising has become.

Edited by rimmit

Sorry, but I don't buy this story at all.  Since you need a personal pin to both lock and unlock the safe, there is no reasonable way anyone but the OP could have accessed the safe in their cabin.  Let's say a thief randomly hit upon just the right number combination...highly unlikely from a statistical standpoint.

The jewelry may have indeed been in the safe at some point, but the OP removed it and then for whatever reason, it didn't get back into the safe.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

That incident was peculiar to the hotel he was staying at.  Not a good example.

Are you implying this issue is limited to that particular hotel with that particular brand of safe? I've got bad news for you son...

4 hours ago, bannie222 said:

We returned from a cruise on Anthem on 3/15/19. I discovered this morning that a box containing valuable jewelry had been stolen from a larger bag of jewelry that I had locked in my cabin safe. Theft occurred on deck 13, sometime during the cruise. There is no other explanation. Thief chose the most valuable jewelry, or course. Beware!!!

Yes, of course. I've been on about 50 cruises. I hand carry my jewelry always. It had to be stolen from my cabin safe.

I wore it on the cruise. It was stolen from my safe.

You're just noticing this now, two days later. If you always hand carry your jewelry in all of your 50 cruises I would think you would have noticed this right away. Certainly not two days later. Something doesn't add up about your version of events. 

🤔 hmmmmmmmm.....

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sizzlechest said:

Are you implying this issue is limited to that particular hotel with that particular brand of safe? I've got bad news for you son...

No I'm not implying that but it's a stretch to assume that the safes on cruise ships can be opened so easily.  According to the video you posted if the proper administrative code is applied the safe is secure.

32 minutes ago, Sizzlechest said:

We have 5 hotel type safes.  Different brands.    I doubt this was a real hotel safe.  The first thing you do when you get one of these safes is change the master password.   Also, a lot of safes have a key, not a master password.  I thought that is what RC has.  

Either way, don't believe the videos, or everyone would be opening safes. Also, once you use the master password to  open  the safe, the prior pin does not work.  

Sizzlechest - I have a bridge to sell you..... 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Seville2Cabo said:

We have 5 hotel type safes.  Different brands.    I doubt this was a real hotel safe.  The first thing you do when you get one of these safes is change the master password.   Also, a lot of safes have a key, not a master password.  I thought that is what RC has.  

Either way, don't believe the videos, or everyone would be opening safes. Also, once you use the master password to  open  the safe, the prior pin does not work.  

Sizzlechest - I have a bridge to sell you..... 

You're pretty ignorant about the security issues surrounding hotel safes.  That ignorance is why most people believe they're secure. Since they don't know they can be bypassed easily, they assume there isn't a problem.

• Like 1

Previous “luxury” apartment building: the security override code for the gates and doors were all set to 1111.

Apartment before that: built in security system override code was set to 1111.

Security system at the office I work in: security system override code was set to 0000.

I know blaming the victim is SOP around here, but people are putting a lot of faith in those safes. 

6 minutes ago, AdoraBelle said:

Previous “luxury” apartment building: the security override code for the gates and doors were all set to 1111.

Security system at the office I work in: security system override code was set to 0000.

I know blaming the victim is SOP around here, but people are putting a lot of faith in those safes. 

Well I have never had a problem in 40 some cruises and I highly doubt a cruise ship employee would risk their job to break into a safe to steal something which may or may not be valuable.  Reports like the OP's are very, very few and far between.

11 minutes ago, AdoraBelle said:

I'm sure if the cruise ships safes were that "unsafe" we would be hearing of multiple incidents of theft from safes. I'm fairly certain the cruise lines take the proper precautions, unlike the people you have dealt with. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bannie222 said:

We returned from a cruise on Anthem on 3/15/19. I discovered this morning that a box containing valuable jewelry had been stolen from a larger bag of jewelry that I had locked in my cabin safe. Theft occurred on deck 13, sometime during the cruise. There is no other explanation. Thief chose the most valuable jewelry, or course. Beware!!!

Welcome to Cruise Critic.  Sorry to hear about your "stolen" jewelry.  Hopefully you've reported it to RCCL and perhaps they've started an investigation.  IMHO, the cabin steward will not jeopardize their job and steal.

I would bet that your box containing valuable jewelry was misplaced, lost, or even stolen somewhere else other than from your cabin safe.  Please kindly let us know.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AdoraBelle said:

Once again, after someone uses that "code" someone would have to know the code originally used by the OP to shut the safe again.  Think about it.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Sizzlechest said:

You're pretty ignorant about the security issues surrounding hotel safes.  That ignorance is why most people believe they're secure. Since they don't know they can be bypassed easily, they assume there isn't a problem.

Spoken like someone who’s life experiences are based on u tube

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sizzlechest said:

Not sure what you are getting at here. Are you insinuating RCL is still using the default admin codes? I can understand a $20 a night motel skipping that step, but I assume there is some level of competency in the security at RCL or you'd see a ton more of these safe theft stories no?

If security comes to your cabin to open the safe there are 2 people that  show up to your cabin. for whatever reason, and signed off on a chart  after it is opened.   They cannot reclose it without adding a new password .The odds that this happen is almost nil.   Besides housekeeping, did maintenance have any purpose to go into your cabin to fix anything? Are you sure your safe was always locked before leaving cabin? I also believe it may have been put on the bed or dresser thinking to lock it up but got sidetracked and it landed somewhere in the cabin.Sorry to hear of the loss..  Hope you are able to locate it.  

Edited by Missymo