Theft from cabin safe on Anthem

I found the company that makes the safes for RCL by looking at helpful room tour videos people post on YouTube. I found a manual for the safes used on the ship. OH...MY...GOODNESS. There are MULTIPLE ways this safe can be opened other than the temporary code used by the person saying in the room. There are two electronic keys, a permanent code that can be set by anyone, and a mechanical key bypass!

https://www.indelwebastomarine.com/fileadmin/webasto_files/documents/IndelWebastoMarine/Manuals/SAFE_10E_30E_Operating_Instuctions.pdf

From RCI's ticket contract:

c. Limitation of Liability for Lost or Damaged Property. Notwithstanding any other provision of law or this Agreement, Carrier's liability for loss or damage to property during the Land Tour portion of a CruiseTour is limited to $300.00 per Passenger. Notwithstanding any other provision of law or this Agreement, Carrier's liability for loss or damage to property for the cruise (or for the cruise only portion of a CruiseTour) shall be limited to $300.00 per Passenger, unless Passenger declares the true value of such property in writing to the Carrier at the address specified in Section 10.a below and pays Carrier within 10 days of final payment for the cruise, a fee of five percent (5%) of the amount that such value exceeds $300.00. In such event, Carrier's liability shall be limited to its true declared value, but not exceeding $5,000.

d. Limited Carriage. Carrier does not undertake to carry as baggage any tools of trade, household goods (including but not limited to appliances and furniture) fragile or valuable items, precious metals, jewelry, documents, negotiable instruments or other valuables, including but not limited to those specified in Title 46 of the United States Code, Appendix Section 181. Each Passenger warrants that no such item will be presented to Carrier within any receptacle or  container as baggage, and hereby releases Carrier from any liability whatsoever for loss of or damage to such items when presented to Carrier in breach of this warranty. In no event shall Carrier be liable for normal wear or tear of luggage or property, or loss of or damage to jewelry, cash, negotiable paper, photographic/electronic, medical or recreational equipment, dental hardware, eyewear, medications or other valuables unless they are deposited with Carrier on the Vessel for safekeeping against receipt (LTOs do not accept valuables for deposit). Carrier's liability, if any, for loss of or damage to valuables so deposited shall not exceed the amounts indicated in Section 3.c above.

Note the bolded part in clause "c", so it appears that the OP did not wish to pay "insurance" for their valuables, and did not declare them.

Then note the bolding in clause "d", which states that if the passenger presents jewelry to the cruise line as "baggage", then the passenger is in breach of the warranty.

Nothing is perfectly safe, there is even risk of theft within your own home, so why should the OP feel completely safe about the storage of their valuables in a ship's cabin (or a hotel room).

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sizzlechest said:

I found the company that makes the safes for RCL by looking at helpful room tour videos people post on YouTube. I found a manual for the safes used on the ship. OH...MY...GOODNESS. There are MULTIPLE ways this safe can be opened other than the temporary code used by the person saying in the room. There are two electronic keys, a permanent code that can be set by anyone, and a mechanical key bypass!

https://www.indelwebastomarine.com/fileadmin/webasto_files/documents/IndelWebastoMarine/Manuals/SAFE_10E_30E_Operating_Instuctions.pdf

The key is needed to set a permanent code.  You make it sound like the stewards just set a code for all their rooms so they can shop.  Not true. 

I've bought 2 safes at the same time.  They had different keys.

8 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

From RCI's ticket contract:

c. Limitation of Liability for Lost or Damaged Property. Notwithstanding any other provision of law or this Agreement, Carrier's liability for loss or damage to property during the Land Tour portion of a CruiseTour is limited to $300.00 per Passenger. Notwithstanding any other provision of law or this Agreement, Carrier's liability for loss or damage to property for the cruise (or for the cruise only portion of a CruiseTour) shall be limited to $300.00 per Passenger, unless Passenger declares the true value of such property in writing to the Carrier at the address specified in Section 10.a below and pays Carrier within 10 days of final payment for the cruise, a fee of five percent (5%) of the amount that such value exceeds $300.00. In such event, Carrier's liability shall be limited to its true declared value, but not exceeding $5,000.

This part is interesting - I admit I haven't read the contract too closely because it says what I expect it to but this would just remind me to leave valuables at home since I wouldn't want to pay a fee for additional coverage.

Which reminds me, all my valuable jewelry is insured no matter where I am, OP, why isn't yours?  It's fairly inexpensive and has already paid for itself when the eternity band of my engagement ring split and needed repair.

1 hour ago, blueridgemama said:

OMG!! So the room stewart stole your hearing aide. Next they will be stealing false teeth.

Never said stolen, possibly found and not reported, there’s a difference.  If you have excellent hearing now I hope in your future you never find yourself  having the expense of purchasing one. 

3 minutes ago, heatherb1958 said:

Never said stolen, possibly found and not reported, there’s a difference.  If you have excellent hearing now I hope in your future you never find yourself  having the expense of purchasing one. 

No difference. Found and not reported is the same as stealing. I wear glasses (sometimes just as expensive as hearing aids) and if I leave them in a restaurant etc. I would never accuse the waiter of stealing them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

I'm sure like us you tip your cabin steward well and they really should have been more accommodating to your friends request to look for your hubby's hearing aid.

On disembarkation day we carry our own cases off the ship and all the cabin doors are wedged open ready for cleaning.

I'm sure some opportunist scumbag could easily quickly look in for left valuables.

In the ops case they might have left their valuables in error in an open safe when they disembarked.

Yes he had been tipped ! In advance . We always prepay , consider it as part of the cruise price, but let’s not go down that route. I was annoyed too that my friend wasn’t allowed to check as I had described the item to him in detail.

Anyway, that was last year and hubby has a replacement one now, he will look after the new one more diligently, 😆

1 hour ago, ShillyShally said:

So sorry you lost that item!  I cannot see that being something I'd know what it was though if I found it, nor would I have any idea where to sell it.  I expect that's the case for most stateroom attendants too.  I expect it may have yet to be found or has lodged somewhere no one has yet looked.  While the rooms get cleaned, it's not thorough.  Did you ever follow up directly with RCCL?  Lost and Found goes to corporate so after your cruise they are the ones you should contact!

Thanks,  A replacement was sorted when we got back home in the UK.

1 hour ago, Seville2Cabo said:

The key is needed to set a permanent code.  You make it sound like the stewards just set a code for all their rooms so they can shop.  Not true. 

I've bought 2 safes at the same time.  They had different keys.

No, it isn't. The permanent code can be erased and reset. I don't care about your safes. I'm talking about RCL's safes.

When I missed the ship on the Allure, the cabin steward and security were in my room OPENING THE SAFE to see if I left my passport or credit cards in there. My wife walked in when they were going thru the stuff. So yes, they can open the safes.

1 minute ago, klfhngr said:

When I missed the ship on the Allure, the cabin steward and security were in my room OPENING THE SAFE to see if I left my passport or credit cards in there. My wife walked in when they were going thru the stuff. So yes, they can open the safes.

I don't think anyone suggests they can't open the safe.  Steward and security were opening it.  

13 hours ago, AdoraBelle said:

I’m talking about override/admin codes. They have nothing to do with the code the hospitality guest enters. That’s why I use the word “override” many times in the post. 🙂

This thread has everything to do with the code the OP entered.  Overriding it will cancel it.  How would anyone else know the pin to reset it except the OP (and others traveling with them)?

4 minutes ago, Seville2Cabo said:

Read the link you posted. To set a permanent code requires key. 

You can open it with the code, the owner key, a master key, OR a physical key. Not a combination of those methods. EITHER of them. Anyone on the ship who knows the code doesn't need any keys to open the safe. Anyone with a key doesn't need the code. Nowhere in the manual does it say the temporary code, which is what the passenger is using, is reset if any other method to gain entry is used. YOU WILL NOT KNOW YOUR SAFE HAS BEEN OPENED BY THE STAFF!

1 minute ago, Sizzlechest said:

You can open it with the code, the owner key, a master key, OR a physical key. Not a combination of those methods. EITHER of them. Anyone on the ship who knows the code doesn't need any keys to open the safe. Anyone with a key doesn't need the code. Nowhere in the manual does it say the temporary code, which is what the passenger is using, is reset if any other method to gain entry is used. YOU WILL NOT KNOW YOUR SAFE HAS BEEN OPENED BY THE STAFF!

So what you are suggesting is that a crew member, who is at a rank high enough to have access to one of these methods, went into the cabin, opened the safe, went through the items in there, and took only a few selected items?

Why is this particular passenger so special that her jewellery is stolen, but nobody else has anything touched?

Do you have any idea what happens if an allegation of this nature is made while still on the ship? Crew cabins would be turned over by security looking for the items, and if found, the crew member is put off at the next port and handed to local authorities. They then have to pay their own travel costs,  plus the cost of getting a replacement crew member to the ship.

Again, not worth it to the crew, so I simply don't believe it happened.

Here's another theory... OP is about to make a completely bogus insurance claim for jewellery that was never there in the first place. They post here on CC hoping to gain some information that might assist them with the claim.

That's more believable than a crew member going into the safe and stealing selected items of jewellery...

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, BND said:

This thread has everything to do with the code the OP entered.  Overriding it will cancel it.  How would anyone else know the pin to reset it except the OP (and others traveling with them)?

Exactly the point I made in a previous post.

All the ships safes we have used we have had to reset a pin every time we wanted to lock the safe.

I suspect the op possibly didn't check the safe was empty before leaving.

We have just left a Spanish hotel and I made a final check of the safe and my car key was still there which proves it can easily happen.

16 hours ago, rimmit said:

There have been thefts on the Anthem, however, it is typically the xboxes in the Xbox pod in the sea plex that passengers break into and steal the xboxes out of.   Really sad when pax are stealing xboxes,  but I guess that’s what cruising has become.

I haven't heard of one instance where that has happened nor can I even begin to imagine how people would steal xbox's on a ship. Especially considering they are bolted to the wall in the SeaPlex.

Was the OP wearing the Hope Diamond? I don't doubt that there are dishonest people on the ship. If there are/were not widespread reports of theft, I'd like to know why OP was "targeted". I mean if you're in the Owner's Suite (or similar) and walk around dripping in gems. You make yourself stand out. If the jewelry is not overtly ostentatious, how would someone know it had any value?

I am not a criminal and probably don't think like one. I find it hard to fathom that someone would undertake such a caper without knowing an item's value.

OP -- I truly hope that your item is found/recovered. 

Edited by JennyB1977

4 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

Probably embarrassed that her jewelry was found right where she left it

I hope she does find it..  But I also find it weird that she's not been posting ....  I'm on the Anthem in a month or so and hope it's found before I start to think their could be actual thieves :classic_sleep:

Edited by ScottVV

19 minutes ago, mattb31 said:

I haven't heard of one instance where that has happened nor can I even begin to imagine how people would steal xbox's on a ship. Especially considering they are bolted to the wall in the SeaPlex.

On our May 2017 sailing on the Anthem two Xboxes were gone and the plastic container they were contained in was cracked open.  I asked the crew what happened, and they told me they had been stolen.  Maybe not,  and maybe they were lying but I can’t imagine any other reason someone would crack the plastic at the point of the lock other than to steal an Xbox.  The plastic container is bolted to the wall,  but the xboxes are not bolted, and can be removed if the lock is cracked.

my son and I were really disappointed because there were only three xboxes,  the one on the big tv and 2/4 on the smaller TV.   

Edited by rimmit

3 minutes ago, rimmit said:

On our May 2017 sailing on the Anthem two Xboxes were gone and the plastic container they were contained in was cracked open.  I asked the crew what happened, and they told me they had been stolen.  Maybe not,  and maybe they were lying but I can’t imagine any other reason someone would crack the plastic at the point of the lock other than to steal an Xbox.

my son and I were really disappointed because there were only three xboxes,  the one on the big tv and 2/4 on the smaller TV.   

Really?

You really think the luggage scanning on the ship couldn't detect an xbox? Especially if they know one has been stolen and are therefore looking for it. Add to the cameras on the ship that could track whoever stole it as well.

Stolen xboxes are more far fetched than the OP's story about stolen jewellery.

16 minutes ago, ScottVV said:

Has / will the OP post and update on her situation or just sit back and watch all of us comment on each other's posts?

I hope the op posted sincerely,if so I really hope she has a successful outcome and lets us know.

• Like 1