Koningsdam in the Caribbean

Copper10-8

On 3/24/2019 at 10:05 AM, Copper10-8 said:

Enjoy K-dam! She's a beautiful ship with an excellent crew! Only negative (for the crew member, not for us) so far is that one of the male dancers/cast members got injured while performing during the early show last Thursday which automatically cancelled the late show that evening. Here's hoping he is able to recover to full strength! 

Sorry to hear about the injury. I also hope the dancer is well soon, both for his sake and because I do enjoy watching the shows with dancing the most!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

That's not the one to which I was referring.  I recognized bitterballen.  The photo had a picture of an elongated item, maybe a sandwich?  Maybe a dessert?  I recognized the ham and cheese grilled sandwich.

OK, yeah, that one is a "Broodje ouwe Gouda kaas", basically a baguette with old Gouda cheese in between 

Will be cruising on the Koninsgdam in June, so I am very excited to see all of your pictures and accounts! At the end of the cruise, I would be interested in hearing more about your favourite and least-favourite parts about the ship. The food in the Dutch Café looks very interesting, and I am excited to try it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

I enjoyed your coverage of the stops in the ABC Islands, if I had to live in the Caribbean I would chose one of these beautiful islands. Do you have a favorite one of the three?

Thanks; Curacao! 😊

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dancindr said:

Sorry to hear about the injury. I also hope the dancer is well soon, both for his sake and because I do enjoy watching the shows with dancing the most!

He was back in "Humanity" last night (Mon), the same show, so appears fully recovered 😃

After departing Oranjestad, Aruba on Sunday afternoon, K-dam's navigators set a north-north-westerly course in the Caribbean Sea that would take us towards the Jamaica Channel located between the east coast of the island of Jamaica and the south-west coast of Haiti. From there, we will be heading for the Windward Passage, the strait connecting the Caribbean Sea with the Atlantic Ocean

The Caribbean Sea or Mar Caribe in Spanish, is a sea of the Atlantic Ocean located in the tropics of the Western Hemisphere. It is bounded by Belize and Central America to the west and south west, to the north by the Greater Antilles starting with Cuba, to the east by the Lesser Antilles, and to the south by the north coast of South America.

The Caribbean Sea had been unknown to the populations of Eurasia until 1492, when Christopher Columbus first sailed into Caribbean waters on a quest to find a sea route to Asia. At that time the Western Hemisphere in general was unknown to Europeans. Following the discovery of the islands by Columbus, the area was quickly colonized by several Western cultures, initially Spain, then later Portugal, England, the Dutch Republic, France, Courland (a vassal state of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania), and Denmark. Following the colonization of the Caribbean islands, the Caribbean Sea became a busy area for European-based marine trading and transport, and this commerce eventually attracted pirates such as Samuel Bellamy and Blackbeard

54800247_10156935357675729_1186064049243160576_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx&oh=f2cb7ba0147cc00940ef1a041254d765&oe=5D44181E

No photo description available.

Image may contain: ocean, sky, outdoor and water

• Like 1

K-dam's Crow's Nest DOES NOT have the EXC "stuff" (the two "virtual bridge screens", the "Hub," the combo coffee/alcohol bar, interactive screens, lecture room on the port side, etc.) installed, this is after going to dry-dock in December last year. Shorex is still on Deck 1 so did not move up to the CN. She still has the Explorations Cafe on the starboard side of the Crow's Nest. She does not however, have a large library, merely a "travel section" on the stbd side fwd of the CN

Image may contain: people sitting and indoor

Image may contain: living room, plant and indoor

Image may contain: indoor

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Thanks; Curacao! 😊

Because of the hagelslag en kaas, you should bring a wheel of cheese home, years ago(ms Rotterdam), I brought 2 whole wheels home, purchased at shopping ctr, het Suikertuintje in Willemstad, since I had to go through Ft.Lauderdale, the wheels were a little wider and thinner, but they were delicious.

• Like 1

A quick look at the "Retreat" private cabana area on Deck 12 fwd (behind the Crow's Nest), the main dining room with the "ribs" 🤪, and just some of the music-inspired decor of the K-dam

Image may contain: screen

Image may contain: sky, cloud and outdoor

Image may contain: sky and outdoor

Image may contain: 3 people, people smiling, indoor

Pop quiz: Who knows these guys? 😎

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

K-dam's Crow's Nest DOES NOT have the EXC "stuff" (the two "virtual bridge screens", the "Hub," the combo coffee/alcohol bar, interactive screens, lecture room on the port side, etc.) installed, this is after going to dry-dock in December last year. Shorex is still on Deck 1 so did not move up to the CN. She still has the Explorations Cafe on the starboard side of the Crow's Nest. She does not however, have a large library, merely a "travel section" on the stbd side fwd of the CN

Image may contain: living room, plant and indoor

I am surprised because the Nieuw Statendam has all that stuff.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Himself said:

I am surprised because the Nieuw Statendam has all that stuff.

We were also, Father; thought fer sure K-dam would get the extensive EXC stuff in the Crow's Nest during her dry-dock three months ago, but she did not

I'm surprised you haven't seen the new hand washing stations before.  They'veu been on the Veendam for a several years and I think a couple of other ships.  My criticism for the Koningsdam was that when I was there that was all they had and a lot of people did not stop.  It seems like a lot of people will take 1 second to be clean but not 20 seconds.  Have they installed regular gel dispensers now?

Roy

• Like 1

Love those hand washing stations. 

It looks like the "library" has 2 or 3 more books than when we sailed the Koningsdam 2 years ago 🤣  I always bring my own books and/or kindle, but feel for those who miss the libraries.  Thanks again for bringing us along, makes me even more excited for our upcoming 27 days on the K!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

I'm surprised you haven't seen the new hand washing stations before.  They'veu been on the Veendam for a several years and I think a couple of other ships.  My criticism for the Koningsdam was that when I was there that was all they had and a lot of people did not stop.  It seems like a lot of people will take 1 second to be clean but not 20 seconds.  Have they installed regular gel dispensers now?

Roy

Never seen them before on any of the ships; people are using them on this voyage

58 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Love those hand washing stations. 

It looks like the "library" has 2 or 3 more books than when we sailed the Koningsdam 2 years ago 🤣  I always bring my own books and/or kindle, but feel for those who miss the libraries.  Thanks again for bringing us along, makes me even more excited for our upcoming 27 days on the K!  

There is a book drop off in the Neptune Lounge also

6 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

There is a book drop off in the Neptune Lounge also

Good!  I always look for the book exchange areas on each ship -- or start one if there isn't one.  I assume this one is for anyone, not just those who are in Neptune Suites? 

• Like 1