Hotel in Sydney

cruisingbarb

We will be in Sydney post cruise for 4 nights. Our choice for a hotel is the Holiday Inn Old Sydney or something in the Circular, Darling Harbour or Potts Point area. The location and view from the Holiday Inn looks good but it is a little more pricey. My question is, is it convenient for most of the tourist sites or would we be better off booking a hotel in one of the other areas? 

We love the Old Holiday Inn for location. But it’s usually only one night.

Haveca look at the Grace, further into the city but very handy for sight seeing, or one of the Travelodge, not as good quality but will cost way less and a few to choose from.

Sydney has a fantastic public transport system. You won’t be far if you’re hotel is near a train station.

The further away from circular quay the cheaper but Sydney is expensive.

Darling harbour you can get a cheaper hotel with a bit of a view.but nothing like circular quay.

2 hours ago, cruisingbarb said:

We are doing one night pre-trip so maybe that would be the night to spend at the Holiday Inn and then maybe find another hotel for post trip. 

Check where you are embarking.

1 minute ago, cruisingbarb said:

We are on the Ruby Princess. I assume she docks at the OPT Circular Quay but perhaps I should check. Might make a difference where we decide to book. 

Ruby will be OPT she won’t fit under the Bridge so no worries there and a ssomeone else said plenty of public transport, a lot of stuff in easy walking distance of most hotels, budget is probably you biggest issue.

I’m not a huge fan of Potts Point would prefer closer in to town have you looked at some of the serviced apartments, like Meriton etc for your four night stay. Then you get laundry facilities and a kitchenette to save a bit on eating out, even if it’s only breakfast.

as you say Holiday in The Rocks can be a bit pricey, but then at other times I snag a great deal.

5 hours ago, cruisingbarb said:

We are doing one night pre-trip so maybe that would be the night to spend at the Holiday Inn and then maybe find another hotel for post trip. 

I was just chatting to someone on the RC forum and they got the Marriott circular quay for $US110 total price.

3 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I was just chatting to someone on the RC forum and they got the Marriott circular quay for $US110 total price.

Certainly worth a shot, that would be less than $150 Aus unless my maths is totally wrong, doubt you’ll get better price anywhere in Sydney

12 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Certainly worth a shot, that would be less than $150 Aus unless my maths is totally wrong, doubt you’ll get better price anywhere in Sydney

Grab it while you can.

In the past we have stayed in the Rocks, CBD, and Potts Point.

We just came back this week.  Spent 5 days at Sheraton Four Points.  It is beside Central Station.  We liked the location.  Easy walk to Darling Harbour.  Close to China Town.   The big plus was being within easy walking distance to Central Station. 

If we were going tomorrow, it would be a toss up between the Rocks and Central Station.

• 2 months later...

We're staying for five nights at the end of Jan so decided to switch from a hotel to a studio apartment.

Has anyone stayed at Meriton on Pitt St lately? The reviews are a few months old. There is ongoing construction next door (also stated on their web site), so wondering if we should book Meriton on Kent St instead... how much will the construction affect the stay?  I wrote to the hotel, no reply yet... 

Based on reviews, Pitt St property has an edge over Kent St in that it's smaller a couple of blocks closer to the train station. That may be why Kent is a bit less expensive.

13 hours ago, Adventures ahead said:

We're staying for five nights at the end of Jan so decided to switch from a hotel to a studio apartment.

Has anyone stayed at Meriton on Pitt St lately? The reviews are a few months old. There is ongoing construction next door (also stated on their web site), so wondering if we should book Meriton on Kent St instead... how much will the construction affect the stay?  I wrote to the hotel, no reply yet... 

Based on reviews, Pitt St property has an edge over Kent St in that it's smaller a couple of blocks closer to the train station. That may be why Kent is a bit less expensive.

We stayed at Meriton Kent Street a few years back. Loved the location and the apartment. Fantastic views out over Darling Harbour, easy location for walking to various sites or accessing transportation or central station. 

I enjoy Potts Point and stay at the inexpensive DeVere Hotel several times a year.   My room last week had views of the harbour.  There was a buffet breakfast special for $10 for two people.  I love Potts Point, as it feels like Sydney, with its wide variety of cafes/restaurants.  It has excellent public transport.  The local bus 311 goes from Potts Point (Hayes Theatre) via the city to Barangaroo and  Millers Point (Sydney Theatre Company), and returns via Potts Point to Central Station (Belvoir Theatre).  For those who enjoy walking you can walk to the city, via the Royal Botanical Gardens, and locally to Elizabeth Bay and Rushcutter's Bay on the harbour.  The train is nearby at Kings Cross.  

• Like 1

Thanks for that.  Filed it away.  We expect to by in Sydney again in a year or two and will look at DeVere.  We know the area and would have absolutely no issue staying there for a few days.  Transport in Sydney, ground and ferry, is so good that we could happily stay in a number of locales.  Does not have to be Circular Quay, Pitt St, or the Rocks.  We like staying in different parts of various cities on return trips.  

• 1 month later...

I guess I am in the minority for a tourist from the USA, I like quirky and different, and the less expensive the better!  I don't want to stay in an expensive Americanized chain hotel and miss out on the 'flavor' of the area.  I'm willing to put up with a small room for sleeping -- I will not be spending much awake time there anyway.  The only thing I will not budge on is having a private bathroom.  And an elevator.  I am currently booked in the Sydney QVB Hotel, but love the option on trivago to pay a little more and have free cancellation.  In reading CC there are always tips and suggestions, so a change in hotel is possible...

Edited by GloriaF

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Tansy Mews said:

We will be in Sydney in late January, early February.  Do we need a hotel with air conditioning? I know I would here at home in summer. 

Frances

Yes, but don’t know of many that don’t have it.

Edited by GUT2407

• 3 weeks later...

We stayed in Potts Point at Hotel Challis. We picked up the HOHO bus right around the corner and the van that took us to the Blue Mountains was just a five minute walk. About 1/3 the price of the Quay area. I have information on my website about Australia. Go to http://www.DonnaGawell.com and look for "travel to Europe and Australia" in the menu.

Edited by Markanddonna
  • Like 1