What happens with no shows

canadaman111

1 hour ago, canadaman111 said:

What if I pay for them. I don't expect my money back. If they can't go can I pay the full price, call Carnival and say 2 of us won't be coming?  If I did that they wouldn't change our room assignment would they?  It matters because first we have 2 connecting rooms, and 2 we are booked next to another family we are going with

If you notify them of the two cancellations ahead of time, they reserve the right to move you. It's because they could possibly fill the cabins you're currently in, or at least book more people than what you have. They make more money that way, so they prefer not to tie up a cabin that can hold four with two people. If you insist on cancelling ahead of time, call your PVP if you have one, or customer service. Let them know your situation and see what they say. No guarantees, but good luck. You have time, I'd try as hard as I could to get their mom to change her mind.

10 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but it's not just a matter of traveling without both parents (who are still together). In the OP's case, it's a custody issue. Ex has to consent to travel, but she won't. I don't think he's worried about getting passed Carnival or CBP. If he goes without her consent, it could mean an expensive legal hassle that he's trying to avoid.

I seriously doubt it would come to that.  After all, what is she going to say when the judge asks her why she wouldn't consent for them to go?  Not going to be a pretty scene for her.  EM

3 hours ago, canadaman111 said:

What if I pay for them. I don't expect my money back. If they can't go can I pay the full price, call Carnival and say 2 of us won't be coming?  If I did that they wouldn't change our room assignment would they?  It matters because first we have 2 connecting rooms, and 2 we are booked next to another family we are going with

You pay for them and you do not call.  When they don't show up at the terminal,you will be automatically reimbursed port fees and any prepaid grats.  If they are a "no show" at boarding, that will guarantee your stateroom is not changed.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, canadaman111 said:

Do not notify Carnival ahead of time.  They will move you if you change the number of people in the cabin (happened to us) and even if you cancel in time for a refund, they reprice the entire cabin and you do not get that much back anyway.  We cancelled the 4th person in our cabin well ahead of all penalty dates and only saved about $300 in the fare.  We would have happily left the 4th person and just paid the fare for the missing person had we known they would move us.  We ended up in an awful room (no choice) far away from the other cabin in our party.

Edited by Cafedumonde
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

You pay for them and you do not call.  When they don't show up at the terminal,you will be automatically reimbursed port fees and any prepaid grats.  If they are a "no show" at boarding, that will guarantee your stateroom is not changed.

So what happens embarkation morning?  They notice 2 of us are missing, and ask why?  We tell them and they refund port fees and grats?  That simple?

34 minutes ago, canadaman111 said:

So what happens embarkation morning?  They notice 2 of us are missing, and ask why?  We tell them and they refund port fees and grats?  That simple?

There are a variety of reasons for no shows. It's not a big deal Carnival has their money. Port Fees /Gratuities either go back on your onboard account or reimbursed back to CC.

i certainly hope it works out, and your ex realizes she is punishing  the boys not you. 

Can the 18 year old reason with his mom. "Look mom I'm 18 and CAN go, so why  deny my brother."

1 minute ago, beerman2 said:

There are a variety of reasons for no shows. It's not a big deal Carnival has their money. Port Fees /Gratuities either go back on your onboard account or reimbursed back to CC.

i certainly hope it works out, and your ex realizes she is punishing  the boys not you. 

Can the 18 year old reason with his mom. "Look mom I'm 18 and CAN go, so why  deny my brother."

The 18 year old is a mommy's boy. She guilt trips him hard. So he has actually said he doesn't want to go now. He went in 2018 and 2019 and loved it so it is just his mom causing him to say that. If he doesn't want to go I am fine with that. It sucks that it is his mom that makes him say that but what am I going to do

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, canadaman111 said:

The 18 year old is a mommy's boy. She guilt trips him hard. So he has actually said he doesn't want to go now. He went in 2018 and 2019 and loved it so it is just his mom causing him to say that. If he doesn't want to go I am fine with that. It sucks that it is his mom that makes him say that but what am I going to do

Wow if she guilt trips him trying to quilt trip her won’t work.

Sounds like you will still enjoy yourself and the no show thing really does work. 

Sorry to go a little off-topic but it seems weird why Carnival would change guaranteed staterooms that are fully paid for (assuming no refund is given) to lesser rooms just because of reduced # of passengers.  I get it they CAN make more money by moving you in order to book a new 3-4 passenger slot, but a lot of hassle & badwill toward the original party.  

Pretty much akin to an airline making a mother hold an infant child whose seat was paid for (some do in order to ensure ability to use a carrier) and then be told you must hold the baby for the flight because we overbooked.

20 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but it's not just a matter of traveling without both parents (who are still together). In the OP's case, it's a custody issue. Ex has to consent to travel, but she won't. I don't think he's worried about getting passed Carnival or CBP. If he goes without her consent, it could mean an expensive legal hassle that he's trying to avoid.

Even if she is BS crazy and takes him to court over this I think a judge is going to laugh, not even sure he would need an attorney in defense. Take the kids on the cruise! Even if she got legal I am not sure what she is going to win. I dealt with situations like this with older kids and 99.9% of the time the ex is just talking a great game. The kids are grown now don't worry about the legal stuff as If he goes and she sues for something it will cost her a lot of money and there is absolutely nothing she can win by doing so. No judge is going to reverse a long standing custody arrangement with a 17 year going on vacation with a parent. Threats is all she has and its a pretty weak threat with no positive outcome on her. Again just me (who does have experience in this category) I would be on the ship with my kids. 

7 hours ago, canadaman111 said:

So what happens embarkation morning?  They notice 2 of us are missing, and ask why?  We tell them and they refund port fees and grats?  That sim

Once boarding ends, it ends.  They may or may not ask why but more of out trying heading off complaints that that ship should have waited.  And yes, once they confirm the others did not board and are not fratactially trying to catch up, they will simply refund.  You might want to drop by GS on board and mention that they are not in-route so no energy is expended trying to account for them.  Happens every cruise.

5 hours ago, ashleycrew said:

Even if she is BS crazy and takes him to court over this I think a judge is going to laugh, not even sure he would need an attorney in defense. Take the kids on the cruise! Even if she got legal I am not sure what she is going to win. I dealt with situations like this with older kids and 99.9% of the time the ex is just talking a great game. The kids are grown now don't worry about the legal stuff as If he goes and she sues for something it will cost her a lot of money and there is absolutely nothing she can win by doing so. No judge is going to reverse a long standing custody arrangement with a 17 year going on vacation with a parent. Threats is all she has and its a pretty weak threat with no positive outcome on her. Again just me (who does have experience in this category) I would be on the ship with my kids. 

It is crossing borders with the 17 yr old without permission that could backfire given the right (or wrong) judge and legal team.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, ashleycrew said:

The custody agreement says the mom has to approve of their travel. If he just up & goes without her consent, she has a legal standing. Yeah, there's a chance a judge dismisses it, but there's a binding agreement that says she has to consent, so it's not as simple as "just take the kids on the cruise."

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Let me share an incident a friend of mine had.  She has custody and bio has some visitation and he gave verbal consent to cruise with their daughter.  At the last minute, in Port Canaveral  prior to heading to port he called her to say he changed his mind. Threaten to fax custody papers to police and have her arrested.  Needless to say she did not cruise that day. She learned not to trust verbal consent from him.

He did this 2 other times gave consent via email but changed mind again and advised her via email. Luckily both other times was done even before final payment. 

So off to court she went, judge was not happy with him and new court papers stating she can go whenever and wherever she wants including international and he cannot do anything about it. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Muumuu said:

Let me share an incident a friend of mine had.  She has custody and bio has some visitation and he gave verbal consent to cruise with their daughter.  At the last minute, in Port Canaveral  prior to heading to port he called her to say he changed his mind. Threaten to fax custody papers to police and have her arrested.  Needless to say she did not cruise that day. She learned not to trust verbal consent from him.

He did this 2 other times gave consent via email but changed mind again and advised her via email. Luckily both other times was done even before final payment. 

So off to court she went, judge was not happy with him and new court papers stating she can go whenever and wherever she wants including international and he cannot do anything about it. 

I am glad it all worked out for your friend!

I have similar issues with my son's father. In fact, just yesterday i had him sign a permission to travel letter for my son, which I now have in my folder with my travel documents. Plus an email chain and text messages proving he knew about our trip. Luckily my custody order just states that i have to INFORM him if I am leaving the state with my son, I don't have to have his permission. But I wanted to cover my bases anyway. We sail in 16 days.

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 8:35 AM, canadaman111 said:

The boys will be 18 and 17 when we cruise. She won't be able to stop the 18 year old. The boys live with me and the court settlement says she has to allow travel but that she has to sign a consent for each time they travel. I am sure I can win in court but it is going to cost a lot of money. I am hoping she will just be reasonable

This is a pretty easy court case.  You wouldn't even need a lawyer.

You can make a court date yourself with the family court and simply go in for the case...you are talking about a 17 year old...he is almost a legal adult, so unless you are a psycho maniac LOL...the judge is not going to deny a parent traveling with a 17 year old that they have custody of.  

I hope it all works out and everyone can go...family vacations are a great way of bonding at all ages.

Also..you stated that they went on a cruise in 2018 and 2019--who was that with?   If it was with you..what has changed.were there any problems? If it was with her...that will only add to your case that if she took them on a cruise..you certainly can.

Edited by bingomamma19

On 3/23/2019 at 8:00 AM, canadaman111 said:

It's really not a good thing to put kids, even in their late teens, in the position of choosing between parents. Good that the OP realizes that.  Seems the adults have a problem, and it's up to the parents to resolve it somehow.

I do not know if Canadian divorce law and settlements are similar to what we have here in the U.S.  But if I had custody of my kids, and I was allowed to take them on a vacation or cruise, I would do so and tell the ex later.

Whatever else I want to say on this topic would be censored.

• Like 2

Since you are thinking of continuing to pay for the boys anyway and the 18 year old says he doesn't want to go, then I would leave it at that.  I would tell the boys you would really enjoy having them go on the cruise and I would tell their mom that you hope she changes her mind, but you will understand if she doesn't.  Since the older one sides with the mom, then the less pressure, the better.  If the mom realizes that you have backed off, she may give up the fight for control.  It sounds like she wants it to be her decision and your older son is siding with her.  

I've dealt with an issue with someone like that.  Backing off accomplished more than engaging.  It won't be too long until the younger one eventually turns 18 and she will have no say.  I hope you have a fun cruise either way.

• Like 1

Maybe the whole problem is when you were married she wanted to take cruises and vacations and you didn't.  I know 40 yrs ago before  I got divorced my childrens' father never celebrated my birthday.  They didn't even know when it took place.  We celebrated everyone  else in the family.   but never mine.  The children were under 5.  He immediately remarried and one weekend the kids came home  confused because they HAD to celebrate their new stepmothers birthday and they were confused because they never celebrated mine. Their  father made a big deal of shopping for a present and cake etc.  I explaned to them that I had told their father that he had to change some of his ways to be a better husband and father and this was one way he showed that he is changing.....it was a bunch of bulll🙄 but It helped the kids out.   A mother has to put her children first....

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, myjillian said:

Maybe the whole problem is when you were married she wanted to take cruises and vacations and you didn't.  I know 40 yrs ago before  I got divorced my childrens' father never celebrated my birthday.  They didn't even know when it took place.  We celebrated everyone  else in the family.   but never mine.  The children were under 5.  He immediately remarried and one weekend the kids came home  confused because they HAD to celebrate their new stepmothers birthday and they were confused because they never celebrated mine. Their  father made a big deal of shopping for a present and cake etc.  I explaned to them that I had told their father that he had to change some of his ways to be a better husband and father and this was one way he showed that he is changing.....it was a bunch of bulll🙄 but It helped the kids out.   A mother has to put her children first....

You told your "under 5" children that their dad needed to be a better husband and father?