Alaska?

I’m considering an Alaskan cruise, curious what location experienced cruisers recommend...port, starboard, aft?  I would most likely book a balcony.  Also, what’s your favorite ship for Alaska (NCL or other line)?  We’ve never booked one of the larger ships.  We’ve sailed the Pride of America, the Dawn and next month we will be on the Jade.  I’d kinda like to be prepared if we decide to purchase while on our cruise.  Planning on bringing my husband’s parents along, they are in their mid 70’s.  Thanks in advance!

My family took the Pearl to Alaska from Seattle in 2017 and loved it.  We were on the starboard side (midship) and felt we had a spectacular view of all the sights, but on itineraries where you go on the inside passage, there are views on both sides of the ship.   On this itinerary a balcony is important.  The scenery is stunning and we enjoyed the ports as well.  

Out of Seattle, you'll have the choice of ships so I can't speak to what going to Alaska on the Bliss would be like, but my in-laws who are also in their mid 70's loved the smaller ship and thought getting around the ship was easy.  We booked adjoining cabins and it worked out nicely.  

One thing I would say is to pay attention to your packing - it might only be truly cold one day on your journey, but it will be really cold.  My plan was to bring a rain jacket and wear layers under it, but standing on the deck in Glacier Bay was COLD and I wish I had a warmer clothing option.   I'm not a wimp - but whoa.  

I hope you go, it was a great trip.

• Like 1

We sailed on the Pearl to Alaska. The ship turns around in the scenic cruising areas so everyone gets a chance to see everything. That said we had a cabin with a forward balcony and in my opinion the views couldn't be beat. I loved the Pearl  but I don't think it goes to Alaska anymore.

• Like 1

We are booked on the Bliss for July, along with our family of 10.  Chose the Bliss for the grandchildren.

Our first trip to Alaska was on the Coral Princess, and I LOVED everything about it.  Just the right size, super friendly crew, very very good food.  It sailed the Inside Passage, where the Bliss does not.  Both are in Glacier Bay, which is a must, as far as I am concerned.  Bliss is round trip Seattle; Princess was one way from Vancouver to (near) Anchorage.

I do like the convenience of booking airfare from Seattle vs. Vancouver or Anchorage.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Love2CruiseMore said:

I’m considering an Alaskan cruise, curious what location experienced cruisers recommend...port, starboard, aft?  I would most likely book a balcony.  Also, what’s your favorite ship for Alaska (NCL or other line)?  We’ve never booked one of the larger ships.  We’ve sailed the Pride of America, the Dawn and next month we will be on the Jade.  I’d kinda like to be prepared if we decide to purchase while on our cruise.  Planning on bringing my husband’s parents along, they are in their mid 70’s.  Thanks in advance!

The smaller the ship the better. A one way trip is also the way to go, round-trips out of Seattle miss too much of Alaska to make them worth  while. If you can afford Regent or Silversea take them instead of one of the mass market lines.

My wife and I sailed on the Jewell in 2015 on a round trip out of Seattle.  We loved the ship.  It is the perfect size for an Alaskan cruise.  We are going on the Jewell again in July this time on a Southbound one way.  We booked way early to ensure that we got a mini suite on the port side of the ship.  This was we will be facing the main land the entire time.  This side of the ship filled up quickly so I am not the only one to prefer that side.

We sailed Alaska on the Bliss and loved it - great excursions too.  We did Tracy. Arm (FREEZINGGGGG - dress warm!), Skagway Yukon Hwy by bus (hubby’s fave tour), whale watching in Juneau, and atv in Ketchikan.  Highly recommended.  Will tell you all about it during our cruise if you want!

• Like 1

Thank you for all the info!  Looks like NCL only has the Bliss and Joy in Alaska next year.  I may have to look at another cruise line to find a smaller ship, I agree that for my in laws a smaller ship would be better for them to get around.  We won’t have kids to entertain so we don’t need all of the bells and whistles that come with the megs ships.  Even though being kids at heart my husband and I would totally have fun taking advantage!   Dang...maybe we will do one of the mega ships! 😂

The best Alaska cruise is a northbound out of Vancouver including Glacier Bay. We spend hours each evening watching for whales and dolphin. Magical. 

If if you can afford the time and cost, take a land tour up to Delani National Park after the cruise (the train leaves from the port for an equally magical journey into Alaska). 

7 minutes ago, Love2CruiseMore said:

Thank you for all the info!  Looks like NCL only has the Bliss and Joy in Alaska next year.  I may have to look at another cruise line to find a smaller ship, I agree that for my in laws a smaller ship would be better for them to get around.  We won’t have kids to entertain so we don’t need all of the bells and whistles that come with the megs ships.  Even though being kids at heart my husband and I would totally have fun taking advantage!   Dang...maybe we will do one of the mega ships! 😂

Looks like NCL only has the Bliss and Joy in Alaska next year

The JOY and BLISS sail closed loop out of Seattle -

Checking my TA schedule for Alaska cruises in 2020 the JEWEL sails out of Vancouver and Seward (Anchorage)

The JEWEL would be my recommendation for your pursuit of happiness.

Also as BirdTravels just posted consider doing a Land Package taking the Alaska Railroad to Denali Park -

There is more to Alaska than coastal glacier cruising - there are more options combining a great deal more.

• Like 1

Don't rule out Vancouver departures.  Vancouver is only 150 miles away and easily reached by various bus companies, amtrak cascades train, or  rental car if flights are too expensive.  Plus Vancouver is a beautiful city.

Vancouver departures sail between Vancouver ISland and the mainland  so it's more scenic and the waters are more sheltered.  Seattle departures sail on the west side of Vancouver so no scenery and the potential for rougher seas.

And as you look at the various cruises, be mindful of port times. Make sure you're in port long enough and at the right time of day for planned activities.  ie  7am to 1pm isn't ideal for quality sightseeing.

Edited by mapleleaves
  • Like 1

I live in Alaska. A few years ago, I sailed southbound from Alaska on Princess and (after a few days in Vancouver) sailed back northbound on NCL. Identical itinerary, similar ship sizes, etc. I wrote a comparison of the two experiences here.. 

I like NCL but would recommend Princess for this itinerary. Nobody does Alaska like Princess does.

~Brian

8 hours ago, shukapaw said:

I live in Alaska. A few years ago, I sailed southbound from Alaska on Princess and (after a few days in Vancouver) sailed back northbound on NCL. Identical itinerary, similar ship sizes, etc. I wrote a comparison of the two experiences here.. 

I like NCL but would recommend Princess for this itinerary. Nobody does Alaska like Princess does.

~Brian

Your comparisons were great and spot on thanks.

Later in that thread (June 14 2017 - 18 posts)  I offered some of my own comments.

Holland-America was there before Princess - has a bigger operation - and similar or smaller size ships.

Holland-America and Princess both have their own private rail cars for the Land Tour packages.

Carnival was a brief entry to Alaska and left the market.

Carnival owns Holland-America and Princess.

Cruise fares I think NCL does it the best least expensive more bang for the buck - but HAL & Princess no

doubt have a better organized Land Package offering with better shore excursions.

Pick a cruise make a deal - Alaska is so interesting - there are no wrong choices.

If you are there for only one time - make the most of it -

otherwise plan on a repeat return cruise -

with one cruise you are only seeing the peak of the iceberg so to speak !

But don't miss doing at least 1 Alaska cruise - The Last Frontier awaits - - - - - !

• Like 1

On 3/23/2019 at 12:51 PM, don't-use-real-name said:

Looks like NCL only has the Bliss and Joy in Alaska next year

The JOY and BLISS sail closed loop out of Seattle -

Checking my TA schedule for Alaska cruises in 2020 the JEWEL sails out of Vancouver and Seward (Anchorage)

The JEWEL would be my recommendation for your pursuit of happiness.

Also as BirdTravels just posted consider doing a Land Package taking the Alaska Railroad to Denali Park -

There is more to Alaska than coastal glacier cruising - there are more options combining a great deal more.

Yes, my husband and I are booked on the Jewel next May. We are doing the land tour first and then cruising from Seward to Vancouver. We've never sailed NCL before, but we do prefer smaller ships and are excited about being on the Jewel, it looks like a great ship for us.

5 hours ago, CruzinfromFL said:

but we do prefer smaller ships and are excited about being on the Jewel, it looks like a great ship for us.

The Jewel is one of our favorites.  Great layout, plenty to do and seldom feels crowded.  You'll love it.

We too, have the Seward to Vancouver cruise booked on the Jewel July 27 to Aug 3 2020. Chose a midship balcony cabin on deck 9, port side. Like reading all of your comments and reviews, very helpful! First time to Alaska but 3rd cruise on the NCL Jewel class ships, sailed the Pearl 2 yrs ago and the Jade just a few weeks ago, so looking fwd to sailing on the Jewel. Love the Jewel class ships. Also, I plan to do a DIY land tour prior to sailing. Lots to think about as my planning and scheduling begins.