Viking Sky position, adrift off Norway Coast and evacuating Passengers & Crew

CCWineLover

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

And the "obvious" answer is that the worst place for a large cruise ship to be in a major storm is docked (or anchored) in a port!  The norm is to get the ship out to sea (where it is actually safer) and try to avoid the storm or the worst part of the storm.   In fact, most harbor masters will close ports in severe weather and request that ships depart....generally before the storm reaches the port.

What happened here is not necessarily related to the weather but to a major power failure (usually electrical).   None of us who routinely cruise (we have spent over 1000 days on cruise ships) or spend time at sea are "making light" of it!  In fact, I have texted a family member who is on that ship (she is doing fine) to express our concern and inquire about her well-being.  And as I posted earlier, she replied that they are doing OK and waiting to be rescued (they are still thinking by helicopter). 

What I find distressing are the comments (such as yours) that immediately want to point the finger of blame to something, or start asking about compensation.  Neither of those issues are appropriate at this point in time when over 1100 folks still remain on that vessel.  Trust me that my wife's cousin (who is on the ship and at her muster station) is only concerned about getting to land..   There will be plenty of time later to deal with the blame game.  For now, it is about saving lives.

Hank

Unlike the Caribbean a captain does not have very many options in the Norwegian Sea with a major storm coming from the west or southwest.  They cannot go east, they cannot go north.  About the only choice is to go south and it sounds like they simply ran out of time.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, RDC1 said:

Unlike the Caribbean a captain does not have very many options in the Norwegian Sea with a major storm coming from the west or southwest.  They cannot go east, they cannot go north.  About the only choice is to go south and it sounds like they simply ran out of time.  

I think the Captain "ran out of engine", not time, in this case.

GC

• Like 2

Just now, GeezerCouple said:

I think the Captain "ran out of engine", not time, in this case.

GC

My point was that even before the engine problem there is not a lot of room to avoid the storm when you consider the Norwegian sea and the direction of the storm, and the route of the ship.  So very little option for avoiding the weather, even before the engines failed.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Pushka said:

In the case of the Concordia and now Sky, they were unable to use the lifeboats. So it does beg the question of what they can actually be used for in emergency situations like these two. 

If the ship was actually sinking they could probably use the lifeboats.  The point is that the ship is not sinking.  Using the life boats would be hazardous to load, hazardous to launch, and a very very very rough ride.  Pretty much a last resort.  Passengers are safer on the ship and evacuating is a slow, but manageable process where they can focus on one passenger at a time.  

• Like 1

Im guessing winching people into helicopters is viewed as less dangerous but in reality it’s incredibly risky. Add in storm and darkness now. An awful decision to have to make. Everyone will need some time to recover from this. 
It's all about risk management.
They have to balance the risk of winching a passenger against the risk of leaving them onboard and having them be unable to assist in their own evacuation should things get more dire requiring them to have to board lifeboats in seriously rolling seas.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I can imagine the terror the passengers, crew and Captain must be enduring.  My husband and I were on this very ship, the Viking Sky, about 8 months ago.  I love the Viking ocean fleet!   It was one of my favorite cruises:  14 nights from London to Bergen.  The Norwegian fjords  are simply spectacular in scenery.  I hope everyone is safely rescued soon.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Im guessing winching people into helicopters is viewed as less dangerous but in reality it’s incredibly risky. Add in storm and darkness now. An awful decision to have to make. Everyone will need some time to recover from this. 

The Norwegian rescue helicopters are impressive. In October I was on the Hurtigruten Trollfjord. A ship that is more like a Ferry and weighs less then the Viking ship. It was rainy and the sea was rough, it got rougher later. There was a medical emergency and the helicopter landed on the ship and took off about a minute later. 

Although Marine Trafffic shows the Sky still offshore, with two tugs, and two, soon to be three, Offshore Supply Ships

standing by,   a text I received said the Sky is now in port.  Anyone know if this true ? 

Edited by Boatdrill

57 minutes ago, onthelake said:

Does anyone know how far it is to Molde and when they could possibly arrive?

It is 32 miles and I heard they will start towing the ship to Molde at 6:25 am Norwegian time. Go to Post Number 239

for live coverage of the rescue efforts. It is on AgendaFree on Post 239.

Per latest report from my mom and sis, still in muster stations and many cabins are trashed (my sis was able to briefly got back to theirs to get more warm clothes and said it’s completely wrecked). Also, they are being told it could be days before they get to port. That they are heading out to sea to get away from the waves, and the tugs will not be able to hitch up before daybreak as it’s too dark and rough. 

Edited by Phnxgrl
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, zitsky said:

Is the Mediterranean known for bad weather, large waves etc?  What is considered a good time to sail the Mediterranean versus a bad time?

Okay...I'm only on page 11 of posts and there are 14 right now, so this may already be answered and I apologize if it was.

On our last cruise, we spoke at length with a staff member who was in the Mediterranean last summer/fall. He said the weather he experienced in September/October in the Med made the weather on the NY to Bahamas runs in the winter look like nothing. He told us it was the worst seas he's ever encountered. So we will now take that into consideration if/when we do a Med cruise. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Phnxgrl said:

Per latest report from my mom and sis, still in muster stations and many cabins are trashed. Also, they are being told it could be days before they get to port. That they are heading out to sea to get away from the waves, and the rugs will not be able to hitch up before daybreak as it’s too dark and rough. 

So glad you can be in touch getting personal updates from your mom and sister. I am upbeat that they will all be okay and with interesting vacation stories to share.

• Like 2

I don't know where some of you get your info from - Costa Concordia managed to get all but 2 or 3 of the lifeboats away & the crew received a commendation from Lloyds for the speedy evacuation.  This is no thanks to captain coward but to the staff captain & his band of helpers [deck officers] that had most boats loaded & ready when abandonship was declared.

In this case with the ship anchored & heading into the seas - any attempt to launch lifeboats would be very dangerous.

Not so long ago the La Borelle last power off the Falklands - evacuated the passengers & some crew - then anchored the ship to save her from going ashore.

This is good seamanship on both vessels - something capt. coward knew zero about.

Viking Sky leaving Vigo.JPG

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Hanoj said:

Using the bridge 

1 hour ago,  matadams4u said:

It doesn’t look like it is that close and it looks like it is a long drive from Molde to London

There isn’t a bridge from Norway to London 😳

Edited by DebbieMacG

19 minutes ago, Phnxgrl said:

Per latest report from my mom and sis, still in muster stations and many cabins are trashed (my sis was able to briefly got back to theirs to get more warm clothes and said it’s completely wrecked). Also, they are being told it could be days before they get to port. That they are heading out to sea to get away from the waves, and the tugs will not be able to hitch up before daybreak as it’s too dark and rough. 

Thanks for the report, we haven't heard anything in about 4 hours.  Prayers for your family.  

2 minutes ago, DebbieMacG said:

1 hour ago,  matadams4u said:

It doesn’t look like it is that close and it looks like it is a long drive from Molde to London

There isn’t a bridge from Norway to London

Bridge of the ship?