Viking Sky position, adrift off Norway Coast and evacuating Passengers & Crew

CCWineLover

I just saw the video from on board the ship when people were waiting at their in-door muster station with life jackets on and the water coming in through the door or window that gave in. And even though I like to think that I am a «calm, collected, practical and rational» person – just watching that scene made me very emotional. And I started thinking about the  almost 30 cruises I have been on, in different parts of the world – and about how lucky I have been to never have had to go through anything this scary. With tears in my eyes I just imagined how terrified I would have been myself, and I felt so sorry for everyone involved in this. Sorry to write such an emotional post (in all my other posts in this thread I have focused on being very focused on bringing facts out and reporting from the latest news, but as I am certain that I am not the only one among all us «experienced cruisers» who suddenly feel that the situation could have happened to anyone of us anywhere, as we easily can recognize the ship enviroment and put ourselves in their situation, I decided to go ahead and post it anyway).

Edited by TrumpyNor
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, heakja said:

Update: 397 is evacuated.

Regarding the weather, the “losoldermann” (master ship pilot) says to the Norwegian newsletter vg.no that such a big ship would usually have no problems  handling a storm like this and/or the demanding area (Hustadvika). The sole problem was the motors shuting down. 

The motor issue is something they need to get sorted rather quickly. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TrumpyNor said:

I just saw the video from on board the ship when people were waiting at their in-door muster station with life jackets on and the water coming in through the door or window that gave in. And even though I like to think that I am a «calm, collected, practical and rational» person – just watching that scene made me very emotional. And I started thinking about the  almost 30 cruises I have been on, in different parts of the world – and about how lucky I have been to never have had to go through anything this scary. With tears in my eyes I just imagined how terrified I would have been myself, and I felt so sorry for everyone involved in this. Sorry to write such an emotional post (in all my other posts in this thread I have focused on being very focused on bringing facts out and reporting from the latest news, but as I am certain that I am not the only one among all us «experienced cruisers» who suddenly feel that the situation could have happened to anyone of us anywhere, as we easily can recognize the ship enviroment and put ourselves in their situation, I decided to go ahead and post it anyway).

I felt the same.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Haworth said:

The muster stations are on deck 2

Sorry original comment was 14 hours ago when story first broke. Just realised the poster and situation  you are in. Take care 

Edited by Presto2

We are underway with tugs fore and aft, stairways andcwalkwayscare being cleared and staterooms prepared for our return, we are also about to be fed coffee and sandwiches, finally we will be given the opportunity to see the damage to the ship once in calm waters

• Like 24
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, Haworth said:

The muster stations are on deck 2

Morning Haworth, how are things for you now? Hope you reach land soon. 

Edit- just seen your update. 

Edited by Isklaar

The latest update now is that 459 people have been evacuated by helicopters, and 19 people have been taken to hospitals. Unfortunately, three are reported seriously injured.

As others have written, the evacuation has been stopped for the time beeing The towing of Viking Sky to the Norwegian town of Molde continues, and if all goes well - the ship is expected to be in Molde in four to five hours.

• Like 1

Ship on her way to Molde. 80 kilometers to safe waters( estimated 5 hours) , got two tug boats helping her. Speed 7 knots. Crewmembers mostly norwegians, Finnish captain with long time experience from cruise ships. Molde town will open shops so passengers can buy what they need, Cruiseline will pay all bills. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SeaDog-46 said:

If you choose to cruise you sometimes have to put up with bad weather & ships having blackouts occasionally.

I was in the merchant navy for over 40 years.

I'm yet to see any cruise material warning passengers that ships may have blackouts - and yet to hear any cruise line statement when there have been failure that passengers should accept that. Passengers are fully compensated for the disruption as it is not a normal occurrence.

There's a big difference between the conditions given to employees, and those actually paying for that services, i.e. to cruise as passengers in this case. Occasional blackouts is not something a cruiser is expected to accept - even less so one that puts them in danger such that they need to be evacuated off by helicopter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, kla203 said:

Ship on her way to Molde. 80 kilometers to safe waters( estimated 5 hours) , got two tug boats helping her. Speed 7 knots. Crewmembers mostly norwegians, Finnish captain with long time experience from cruise ships. Molde town will open shops so passengers can buy what they need, Cruiseline will pay all bills. 

Thank you for this update.

• Like 4

I hope those on the ship can get some hot food and some rest. 

Even after reaching Molde, it won’t be over. 

The passengers will have to repack, disembark, and then what?

it will take a while to get everyone home again. 

I just hope the injured, especially the frailest of them, are comfortable and healing. 

Edited by jagsfan
Typos
  • Like 1

Hi Folks

Looks like the Captain did exactly the right thing , as soon as he was able to get under way after the propulsion failure , he headed out to sea and gained as much sea room as possible , now it will take a little longer to get into port I suggest the tow is designed to help him steer the ship due to the high winds , but now he has turned the ship things appear to be stable.

Any ship can get caught out with the weather , if his propulsion had not failed it would have been a bumpy trip ..but..

I;m glad he has ordered to stop the helo evac its always an exciting thing to do ...now his passengers are safe warm and being fed..and I;m sure the company will do all the right things

Regards

John

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

For relatives of passengers from USA and UK:

The Norwegian police have posted the following:

Relatives of travelers from the United States can call 1-888-889-8837, while relatives of travellers who have booked their trip from the UK can call 07585 779 853 or 0208 780 7900.

Edited by TrumpyNor
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The_Big_M said:

I'm yet to see any cruise material warning passengers that ships may have blackouts - and yet to hear any cruise line statement when there have been failure that passengers should accept that. Passengers are fully compensated for the disruption as it is not a normal occurrence.

There's a big difference between the conditions given to employees, and those actually paying for that services, i.e. to cruise as passengers in this case. Occasional blackouts is not something a cruiser is expected to accept - even less so one that puts them in danger such that they need to be evacuated off by helicopter.

This is so absurd not really worthy of answer.  If you don't want to take the minuscule risk that your ship might have mechanical or electrical issues then stay home.  You can expect the cruise line to maintain their vessels and not to unnecessarily place you danger. You cannot expect them to never have an issue beyond their control. 

• Like 18
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jakob71 said:

The latest update now is that 459 people have been evacuated by helicopters, and 19 people have been taken to hospitals. Unfortunately, three are reported seriously injured.

As others have written, the evacuation has been stopped for the time beeing The towing of Viking Sky to the Norwegian town of Molde continues, and if all goes well - the ship is expected to be in Molde in four to five hours.

Thank you for the update.

Glad to see Sky is cruising at almost 9 knots towards the shore now according to Marine Traffic.  

Have to admit that seeing those videos and places on the ship where I was in December was a little chilling, and made me more than just a little sad. 

Edited by roothy123