Viking Sky position, adrift off Norway Coast and evacuating Passengers & Crew

CCWineLover

2 minutes ago, Nana travels said:

How many hours of daylight are there in that part of the world? They are reported to be waiting for daylight in a couple of hours to hook onto the tug boats. and start toward Molde. 297 people rescued so far...

12 hours 36 minutes of daylight today in Molde; sunrise will be 6:20 am

• Like 1

Phnxgrl - if they are in a suite this could explain why they are not there now.

Suites on these Viking vessels are on 3 decks below the bridge - also at after corners.

Taking a green sea over the bow could have smashed these forward suite windows.

3 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

I am trying to understand why people cruise to Norway in February.

LOL, a good question.  Perhaps the fact that it is called the Northern Lights Cruise will give folks a hint 🙂   And yes, they actually did see the Northern Lights on this particular cruise .

Hank

• Like 5

A bit of an update from Norwegian news, at just before 6am here in Norway, 338 people had been safely evacuated from Viking Sky with 17 being sent to the hospital. They report that they will try to bring Viking Sky into Molde however they are uncertain when this will happen, but until Viking Sky is able to be brought to port the helicopter rescues (3 helicopters) will continue taking passengers to shore. 

• Like 3

I was on Regent's Seven Seas Mariner in 2006 and we had a similar situation in gale force winds. We were in Alaska near Seward (last port) It was scary!

We had US Coast Guard come and tow us into port.  We had tugs and helicopters. We were a day late into port.  Every time a wave hit the ship the elevators jumped 2 stories.

• Like 2

Search in YouTube for:

Cruise liner with 1300 passengers calls May Day as it drifts toward land

many pictures from The inside... was twice in a no engine situation, in the Aegean sea with rough conditions on ferry boats of approx. 100-140 meters length. Must be quite an experience.... good luck to all on board...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Phnxgrl said:

Per latest report from my mom and sis, still in muster stations and many cabins are trashed (my sis was able to briefly got back to theirs to get more warm clothes and said it’s completely wrecked). Also, they are being told it could be days before they get to port. That they are heading out to sea to get away from the waves, and the tugs will not be able to hitch up before daybreak as it’s too dark and rough. 

I am curious as to how they established the order of evacuation?  Appreciate any insight.

I think the Captain should have waited in port instead of sailing through this storm. Why bring the passenger and the vessel through this uncomfortable experience even if all the engines running. 

In my opinion its very unprofessional,  dangerous and damaging to their brand.

They will be sued for billions now. 

Soeren

Krydstosser - you are totally wrong & do not know what you are talking about.

Viking Sky left Tromso a few days ago when the weather was not bad.

The cannot be sued for bad weather.

If you choose to cruise you sometimes have to put up with bad weather & ships having blackouts occasionally.

I was in the merchant navy for over 40 years.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

18 minutes ago, SeaDog-46 said:

Krydstosser - you are totally wrong & do not know what you are talking about.

Viking Sky left Tromso a few days ago when the weather was not bad.

The cannot be sued for bad weather.

If you choose to cruise you sometimes have to put up with bad weather & ships having blackouts occasionally.

I was in the merchant navy for over 40 years.

Update: 397 is evacuated.

Regarding the weather, the “losoldermann” (master ship pilot) says to the Norwegian newsletter vg.no that such a big ship would usually have no problems  handling a storm like this and/or the demanding area (Hustadvika). The sole problem was the motors shuting down. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Update; 460 passengers are evacuated. There is now a pause in the evacuation while they are trying to tow the ship 180 degrees facing Molde. The captain will the decide if they will continue evacuating after turning the ship. It looks like the weather condtions are getting better. 

Edited by heakja
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Update from 20 min. ago: The captain  has ordered that all evacuation has stopped until further notice, and will last at least untill the ship has been turned around 180 degrees towards Molde by the help of two tug boats. This operation has now started, from a position of the Viking Sky facing south-west. Before the stop in evacuation procedures 460 passengers have been evacuated.

Edited by TrumpyNor
  • Like 4

59 minutes ago, steamboats said:

The towboat Ocean Response is now shown as "towing" with destination "Molde" on Marinetraffic. Two more towboats are aside, the Vivax and the Normand Ranger.

steamboats

Just checking again. That sounds like good news for them. Are they still getting people off though if she's moving?

From Twitter (hrs,  the rescue coordination center)

#hustadvika: The evacuation from #VikingSky is proceeding with all caution. Phone numbers for questions or concerns about any guests onboard, are:

for US/AU booked guests 1-888-889-8837

or for UK booked guests 07585 779 853 or 0208 780 7900

• Like 2