No more free pens

beachbum53

2 minutes ago, queenkathryn said:

I have no problem with no pens.  I bring my own.  Who doesn't travel without something to write with?  Take one from the hotel you stay in the night before your cruise.  I like that Carnival is eliminating one more plastic "thing" that may get thrown overboard.  Now if we can just get them to eliminate all of the paper ads that are delivered to our cabin and adding more waste to the can.   

Ehh, as a fan of straws, I’m a member of #TeamPlastic.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, queenkathryn said:

I have no problem with no pens.  I bring my own.  Who doesn't travel without something to write with?  Take one from the hotel you stay in the night before your cruise.  I like that Carnival is eliminating one more plastic "thing" that may get thrown overboard.  Now if we can just get them to eliminate all of the paper ads that are delivered to our cabin and adding more waste to the can.   

I usually do get one from hotel i stayed at the night before. Last cruise in Feb not only forgot the pen but my boarding pass as well. Then I went to fill out laundry bag and found no pen. I could care less unless i need  one. I agree 100 % about the four pages of advertisements they leave with the fun time each night, such a waste of trees. Maybe cut they ads and leave a pen lol

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jmcathome said:

Wait his excuse for stopping pens was cutting on plastic and they go to plastic laudry bags, That makes a lot of sense

Watch the whole video again where he talks about how the US spent millions to build a pen that works in space, but the Russians (USSR)" ..only used a pencil....

Mike

Edited by mpdog42
correct

Great idea to help Carnival out. Everyone from now on should bring back a pen on each cruise and leave it in their cabin for Carnival to help them out  so that they do not have to waste all that money on their new pencils and  they can save some trees at the same time

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jmcathome said:

Great idea to help Carnival out. Everyone from now on should bring back a pen on each cruise and leave it in their cabin for Carnival to help them out  so that they do not have to waste all that money on their new pencils and  they can save some trees at the same time

You just brought up an important issue. What about all of the trees we're going to be killing now? What we need is paper pens.

1 minute ago, Micah's Grandad said:

Great idea. To help them out more perhaps we should bring our own food on board.

That would be good too. If you cannot find a Carnival pen at home bring them a Royal Carribbean and leave it for them

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

You just brought up an important issue. What about all of the trees we're going to be killing now? What we need is paper pens.

paper pens will kill trees too lol

Just now, Saint Greg said:

You're right on the first part. It's not just Carnival though. It's most companies. It's my company. But I don't think the stock is down over pens.

Didn't say it was down over pens. I said "Maybe all of the cutbacks are having an impact".

1 minute ago, Steve551 said:

Didn't say it was down over pens. I said "Maybe all of the cutbacks are having an impact".

I don't think they are. I think they've added way more then they've cut. And most of the people that cruise with them are first or second time cruisers. They don't know that they once had chocolates on the pillows or table cloths on tables or that stewards used to automatically do twice a day service. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Saint Greg said:

I don't think they are. I think they've added way more then they've cut. And most of the people that cruise with them are first or second time cruisers. They don't know that they once had chocolates on the pillows or table cloths on tables or that stewards used to automatically do twice a day service. 

I agree with you regarding the "new" cruisers not knowing what they are missing. It's grumpy old cruisers like me that are complaining more and cruising less on Carnival these days.

2019 is the first year in many years that we haven't booked a cruise with Carnival. We are cruising in 2019 but not with CCL. For us it is worth a little more money to have a cruise experience closer to what it was years ago. In some cases Carnival isn't less expensive even though IMHO it doesn't always offer an equivalent experience. I expect that we will cruise with Carnival in 2020, I want to try the Mardi Gras. But so far in 2020 we only have a 2 week Med cruise booked with RCL.

46 minutes ago, beachbum53 said:

Over the top? Not at all. If Carnival really and truly cares about the environment, including the amount of plastic that winds up in the ocean, then they should immediately stop selling plastic bottles of water. I'd bet there are hundreds more plastic bottles in the ocean than pens. 

I'll let you in on a secret: I believe it is a cutback as well.  It was almost certainly done to save money.   But that does not negate the fact that plastic pens do indeed end up in the ocean, as well as many, many other plastic products (I find about 3 plastic cigarette lighters for every pen I find on my beach clean-ups, for instance).  The possible cost-cutting purpose behind the move does not negate the probable (although minuscule) result of less plastic in the ocean.

Yes, there are much bigger sources of plastic pollution, but that does not mean that there is no benefit to cutting down on a small, easily substituted source.  It doesn't have to be all or nothing, the big stuff or no stuff at all.  Every little bit helps, even if a bigger bit would help more.

But I'll repeat: I do believe this is yet another Carnival cutback.  This one just happens to have a very real environmental argument to support it and very little detrimental effect for any cruiser that will experience it.  For all the reasons others mentioned, this is not a big deal.  A cheap pen switched out for a cheaper pencil.

So that's why I think the tone of your OP was a bit dramatically alarmist and, well, as I said, over the top.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

I'll let you in on a secret: I believe it is a cutback as well.  It was almost certainly done to save money.   But that does not negate the fact that plastic pens do indeed end up in the ocean, as well as many, many other plastic products (I find about 3 plastic cigarette lighters for every pen I find on my beach clean-ups, for instance).  The possible cost-cutting purpose behind the move does not negate the probable (although minuscule) result of less plastic in the ocean.

Yes, there are much bigger sources of plastic pollution, but that does not mean that there is no benefit to cutting down on a small, easily substituted source.  It doesn't have to be all or nothing, the big stuff or no stuff at all.  Every little bit helps, even if a bigger bit would help more.

But I'll repeat: I do believe this is yet another Carnival cutback.  This one just happens to have a very real environmental argument to support it and very little detrimental effect for any cruiser that will experience it.  For all the reasons others mentioned, this is not a big deal.  A cheap pen switched out for a cheaper pencil.

So that's why I think the tone of your OP was a bit dramatically alarmist and, well, as I said, over the top.

Hey @ShakyBeef, did you see our thoughts of the free pen elimination netted us each an additional mention this morning by Heald?

45 minutes ago, Steve551 said:

I agree with you regarding the "new" cruisers not knowing what they are missing. It's grumpy old cruisers like me that are complaining more and cruising less on Carnival these days.

2019 is the first year in many years that we haven't booked a cruise with Carnival. We are cruising in 2019 but not with CCL. For us it is worth a little more money to have a cruise experience closer to what it was years ago. In some cases Carnival isn't less expensive even though IMHO it doesn't always offer an equivalent experience. I expect that we will cruise with Carnival in 2020, I want to try the Mardi Gras. But so far in 2020 we only have a 2 week Med cruise booked with RCL.

Have you looked into Princess? We really enjoy that cruise line.

1 hour ago, Steve551 said:

Carnival makes too much money selling water in plastic bottles....concern for the environment can only go so far....so far as it doesn't impact a source of revenue.  Carnival plays the "Save Environment Card" when it benefits their bottom line.

CCL stock is down again today. Maybe all of the cutbacks are having an impact.

Yeah, that must be it, the pens are the last straw.... oops that already happened..... no wonder the market is crashing.