No more free pens

beachbum53

5 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I did not see what John had posted in regards to pens, can someone summarize?  

It's in the video link in the OP. 

Summary:  He shows the golf pencil with the notepad, says it's a replacement for the pen, tries to preemptively shut down any "cutback" claims by saying it is about cutting down on plastic in the ocean and then moves on to show us his bag of dirty laundry for the third time in one video.

9 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

Summary:  He shows the golf pencil with the notepad, says it's a replacement for the pen, tries to preemptively shut down any "cutback" claims by saying it is about cutting down on plastic in the ocean and then moves on to show us his bag of dirty laundry for the third time in one video.

Golf pad and pencil for what?

25 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

That's a great summary.   Cracked me up for some reason.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lottiegreen56 said:

Dang I went to the gym and missed all the fireworks! At least I got to see a 300 pound woman on a treadmill in a sports bra 🤢😖

Excuse me but you didn't come up and introduce yourself??😕😯

• Haha 5

On 3/24/2019 at 3:22 PM, beachbum53 said:

This video was posted earlier today by John Heald. He's on the Magic this week.

https://www.facebook.com/JohnHeald/videos/657836744637162/

What we have found is that if you sneak the pen that you sign each of your drink receipts with into your pocket, it serves 2 purposes: Free pens and a tally of drinks each day! 15 each day if you buy the Cheers package, a 7 day cruise will get you 105 free pens!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, ecarbine said:

What we have found is that if you sneak the pen that you sign each of your drink receipts with into your pocket, it serves 2 purposes: Free pens and a tally of drinks each day! 15 each day if you buy the Cheers package, a 7 day cruise will get you 105 free pens!

hence the video.....

Perhaps we can get those horrible 25 cent pen machines they have at the DMV.  I don't know why but I always buy one when I'm there, even when I don't need a pen. Who am I to turn my nose up at a "bargain" pen? 

Image result for dmv pen machine

9 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

4 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I said "golf pencil and notepad" not "golf pad and pencil".  I don't know why you're misquoting me and repeating yourself.  Is this another joke of yours that I'm not getting?

If, however, you're serious, and too lazy to watch the video yourself, but must know the answer to this question in a way that only I can answer it, well, because we've been such good friends for so many years, Jimbo, I'll humour you:  The golf pencil and notepad are on the desk top in the cabin, where formerly the forever-gone and much-mourned pen and notepad once resided.  They are for writing.  One on the other.  Hope this clears it up for you.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

You forgot the conspiculously displayed plastic bottles of water wrapped in unrecycleable plastic wrap. Not to mention too much paper to justify.

wish they’d cut back on the advertisements. They give a reem of useless paper per week per stateroom.

2 hours ago, Host Carolyn said:

Excuse me but you didn't come up and introduce yourself??😕😯

Lol - I’m showing my age a bit. Young people just dress a lot differently than I would.

1 hour ago, ShakyBeef said:

I said "golf pencil and notepad" not "golf pad and pencil".  I don't know why you're misquoting me and repeating yourself.  Is this another joke of yours that I'm not getting?

If, however, you're serious, and too lazy to watch the video yourself, but must know the answer to this question in a way that only I can answer it, well, because we've been such good friends for so many years, Jimbo, I'll humour you:  The golf pencil and notepad are on the desk top in the cabin, where formerly the forever-gone and much-mourned pen and notepad once resided.  They are for writing.  One on the other.  Hope this clears it up for you.

I think I almost got sent to my room....I promise to do my homework next time....

• Haha 1

We should not be complaining about no more pens or pads in the room. We know that they are trying to reduce the rates on our rooms and also using the money for them to help with the new and improved website. They have failed on both accounts. 

I notice the lil pencil in my cabin on the Magic last week.  Didn't think too much of it, I was still able to leave a note for my cabin steward.

I always travel with a few extra pens, and if I truly needed one on board a ship, I would just get one from my steward or guest services, or find one on the stewards cart in the hallway.

Edited by evandbob
  • Like 1

Honestly, I really don't care if I get a pen or not in my cabin, between my DH and I, we have gotten enough free pens from vendors we deal with in our jobs to last us a lifetime and my DH always has pens, a sharpie and a highlighter in his bag that goes everywhere he goes, so we're good either way.

But, tell ya what, if anyone is going to be on one of our upcoming sailings listed in my signature below and wants a free pen, I'll happily bring one for you. Granted it won't be a Carnival pen, and will most likely have the name of some supply company name on it, but hey, it's free!

Now, whether or not this is a plastic reduction thing, a cost cutting thing or both, it's debatable, and I agree there's other things they could do to reduce waste and plastic usage, and we'll probably see some of those things happen in the coming years. I know the company I work for has been implementing several initiatives lately to reduce what we send to the landfill, and recycle as much as possible and to use as many products that contain recycled material as possible. I believe cruise lines are going to be doing more of the same as there's been more focus on these environmental issues in recent years than ever before.            

• Like 2

On 3/24/2019 at 5:36 PM, jmcathome said:

Yes i found that on my last cruise. Steward told me they stopped the pens but he could get me a golf pencil. Just went to guest services and asked for a pen. Have you tried writing on their plastic laundry bags with a pencil Good luck. Loos like the pens went the way of the mints on your pillow at night, Next thing to go will be the pillow

I have no problem with no pens.  I bring my own.  Who doesn't travel without something to write with?  Take one from the hotel you stay in the night before your cruise.  I like that Carnival is eliminating one more plastic "thing" that may get thrown overboard.  Now if we can just get them to eliminate all of the paper ads that are delivered to our cabin and adding more waste to the can.   

• Like 3