Is X Repainting Hulls on S-Class in Drydock?

blueboro

Although I do like the current bright white, I think the new color will look much better in person. I like it. That photo a pretty poor Photoshop job so the color looks flat and dull. The Edge is much brighter and more vibrant in person. 

We were at an onboard information session on future cruises last month.  We were told as part of the revolution all ships would be painted blue...something to do with it improving fuel efficiency.  Seemed bizarre to us...but perhaps it is the type of paint vs the color??  

just found this on the X site

When we say we’re refining our ships from top to bottom, we mean it. Down to the advanced silicone-based paint used to coat the underwater hull of our ships, we’re taking every possible step to make our ships even more eco-friendly.

The goal? To increase fuel efficiency on our Millennium class ships by 20% and reduce our emissions fleetwide.

• Like 2

The livery of the Celebrity ships have had an interesting history. The original ships (Meridian, Horizon, and Zenith) used a modern blue and white hull inspired by private yachts.

10CC5CA9-6D97-4988-8844-CFC34299A75F.jpeg.efafc4a76594ed123b75dd5490482ffd.jpeg

The larger Century, Mercury, and Galaxy followed this same look. Then Royal Caribbean bought the line and ordered the M-class ships. Millennium debuted in 2000 with a very different look that included blue, black, white, yellow, and red. Some felt it was less elegant. I always thought it made the ships look like LEGO toys or superhero costumes. Not exactly the premium style Celebrity was going for.

85E490B6-2721-4CE5-98A7-B83E629E8F45.jpeg.a42551fd6cf19b849a0b9c0f66b2579e.jpeg

Eventually, the M-class ships were repainted with Celebrity’s traditional blue/white yacht livery. 

When the S-class was first revealed early renderings of Solstice included a light blue hull. Of course she was launched in 2008 with a white hull, but RCI adopted the light blue idea for Oasis of the Seas in 2009. 

Personally, I’ve always liked the original Celebirty yacht livery. I understand that it probably wound’t have worked well for Edge, and the fleet will look fine with the solid blue hulls. It does make them look more traditional (HAL and Cunard) and less contemporary and modern. My least favorite was the original M-class superhero look.