This Just Happened!

WDWPolyGirl

5 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

The question would be are there any Grand Suites with a 4 person occupancy ?

Good point.  I don't know.  Now I'm off to go try to find out...

ETA:  OK, I just found out.  It looks like there are Grand Suites on Elation (the ship I'm sailing) with 2, 3, 4, and 5 person occupancy.  I happened to pick one of the 5 person occupancy Suites, just based on location and it being available at my time of booking for both sailings.  Crap.🙁 Slightly more worried now.

Edited by ShakyBeef

52 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

Good point.  I don't know.  Now I'm off to go try to find out...

ETA:  OK, I just found out.  It looks like there are Grand Suites on Elation (the ship I'm sailing) with 2, 3, 4, and 5 person occupancy.  I happened to pick one of the 5 person occupancy Suites, just based on location and it being available at my time of booking for both sailings.  Crap.🙁 Slightly more worried now.

Hi Shakey- given the amount you spent, and the assurances of your PVP, I'd worry a little less than if I was in a standard cabin for 4 with only 3 people... there is likely less demand for a Grande Suite than there is for a standard cabin.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shaded Lady said:

Hi Shakey- given the amount you spent, and the assurances of your PVP, I'd worry a little less than if I was in a standard cabin for 4 with only 3 people... there is likely less demand for a Grande Suite than there is for a standard cabin.

Thanks.:classic_blush: 

It's just that with the OP's experience combined with other posters saying things like:

"Yes....what they did is correct.  If you book a cabin which has unused occupancy... you should expect to be moved unless it is the final push to fill up the remaining cabin prior to the sale date."

and:

"Why would they tie up a room for 4 with 3 people?  It's not shady, it's Business 101, maximize occupancy." 

and:

"Truly it is common sense....only certain cabins have the ability to hold 3 or 4 passengers.  They are in limited supply."

... I'm not feeling very confident about it.  I guess there's nothing I can do about it at this point.  You're right: I've already expressed my concern and gotten my PVP's assurance.  Worrying now isn't going to help.  I'll just settle down and hope all will be well.:classic_unsure::classic_blush:

We use a PVP and have never had a problem booking a 3 or 4 person room for the 2 of us. That is untill this last cruise. There where a lot of 3 and 4 person rooms open on deck 7 but no 2 person. No problem we thought but not to be. Our PVP said Carnival had got alot more strict about that. Our PVP said they would likely open up those rooms to 2 people closer to sail date and he could move us then. We booked same class on deck 8. 

20 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

Thanks.:classic_blush: 

It's just that with the OP's experience combined with other posters saying things like:

"Yes....what they did is correct.  If you book a cabin which has unused occupancy... you should expect to be moved unless it is the final push to fill up the remaining cabin prior to the sale date."

and:

"Why would they tie up a room for 4 with 3 people?  It's not shady, it's Business 101, maximize occupancy." 

and:

"Truly it is common sense....only certain cabins have the ability to hold 3 or 4 passengers.  They are in limited supply."

... I'm not feeling very confident about it.  I guess there's nothing I can do about it at this point.  You're right: I've already expressed my concern and gotten my PVP's assurance.  Worrying now isn't going to help.  I'll just settle down and hope all will be well.:classic_unsure::classic_blush:

People say a lot of things that don't always apply to others.

Has your PVP ever steered you wrong before? If no, then trust their word over others. After all, they're the experts. If you're still nervous, you could always call them, express your concerns one last time, and get the reassurance you're looking for.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Organized Chaos said:

People say a lot of things that don't always apply to others.

Has your PVP ever steered you wrong before? If no, then trust their word over others. After all, they're the experts. If you're still nervous, you could always call them, express your concerns one last time, and get the reassurance you're looking for.

I know.  Of course that is true.  I'm just a worrier.  It doesn't take much of a push to send me down the worrying road.  I'm working on not going there.:classic_blush:

Well, he's never steered me wrong before, but I've only been using him for a few years.  My original (since 2005), much more experienced PVP got a promotion and he is her replacement.  I like him, he's fixed an issue for me that saved me money (that is technically against Carnival policy and so was a favour he didn't have to do for me).  He's responsive, prompt, and friendly.  But he's relatively new to the PVP position and I don't know how well-informed he is on issues like this.  I'm just going to let it go.  And, well, maybe a few months from now, do as you suggest and remind him how important it is to me to stay in this particular Suite for both legs and hear it from him again that we won't be moved.  Then let it go for real.:classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi Poly,

If you like dealing with the cruise line directly, I would consider calling and asking for them to assign you a PVP. Their job is basically to help you out. They would be more likely to put you in the cabin of your choice, if you ask. Of course if a cabin for 4 were required for others, the cruise line always can move you. 

Yes I have a PVP and asked to reserve a room for three passengers and she would not do it.  I’m paying double occupancy and since I’m by myself she wouldn’t do. my thought process is by the time I get closer to the cruise child and my granddaughter want to go so it be just easier to have the room to begin with.  But she absolutely refused to let me book a 3 person cabin. 

DH and I always sail with just the 2 of us in the cabin.  We always choose a standard balcony toward the aft end with cabins above and below it.  We don't look very closely at the occupancy number. 😊  Our jewel of a TA makes our reservations.

The first years we sailed I taught school and we traveled during school vacation times.  Since 2012 we're retired and have sailed when schools are normally in session.

In 14 cruises we've never been moved. 

I get that at times Carnival will not book fewer people into a cabin that will hold more. It makes sense if it's going to be a popular sailing. I have seen on a couple of my cruises where they won't let people book fewer people into cabins until it gets closer to sailing and then if there are plenty of cabins available, they will open up the 3/4 person cabins to smaller parties. What I don't understand is why they will open up these cabins on line but won't let you book them if you call. I was once booked on a cruise in cabin for 2 people (there were only 2 of us). Then our friends decided to book but their cabin wasn't close to ours. I looked on line and saw the cabin next to them was available but it was designated for either 3 or 4 people. At this point they had opened up  the 3/4 cabins to be booked by smaller parties. It was available for ANY size party to book on line. I called to see if I could move to that cabin (it was the same category we were already booked in) but they wouldn't allow it. I really think if they are allowing it to be booked on line for any size party, they should allow it when you call too. It's very possible that this is due to Carnival customer service reps not properly trained. I could have taken it further to try and get that cabin but I didn't. It really wasn't that big of a deal to us.

5 hours ago, Futureman3000 said:

Why would they tie up a room for 4 with 3 people?  It's not shady, it's Business 101, maximize occupancy. 

As the OP, maybe I was not clear. Sorry. I know what business 101 is, thank you for pointing that out to me BTW. I understand about head counts and making money.   What I didn't understand is how an automated computer system would offer you a room that has a max of 4, let you chose it along with the other green spaces that show available in your category! that you pay for, and then they would take you out of it any way weeks from now, according the the operator.  Why not just show the rooms that will only hold 3 people to begin with.  Surely Carnival has the IT capability to only highlight room numbers that will hold 3 people in your purchase category.  Why highlight rooms that hold 4 people and give you the opportunity to choose that room location.  They do not highlight balcony rooms if you choose a interior. That is just logical I think, but obviously, I feel they kind of tease you into highlighting the room choices and then say "Sorry, that room can not really be offered to you even though we gave you the opportunity to choose it". It was an interior room they offered in the initial booking for my party of 3, and the room I wanted to change to was an interior room on a different deck I could have chosen both online as well if I did not go through the operator. As a person who works in customer service, I just thought this was way out there. If the computer system made a mistake by letting me book it, they should own it, so to speak, then give it to the IT department to fix so it will not happen to someone else.  What I also didn't understand was how I couldn't even keep my original room I booked online, after she explained she could not switch me to the different deck.   But now I know. I really thought it was just the operator not knowing what she was doing.  

Thanks for the replies.  Now I know. When choosing an interior room online, even though it is green and says available to pick,  I really do not get a choice. Carnival will chose for me.

3 hours ago, HeidiHo said:

I get that at times Carnival will not book fewer people into a cabin that will hold more. It makes sense if it's going to be a popular sailing. I have seen on a couple of my cruises where they won't let people book fewer people into cabins until it gets closer to sailing and then if there are plenty of cabins available, they will open up the 3/4 person cabins to smaller parties. What I don't understand is why they will open up these cabins on line but won't let you book them if you call. I was once booked on a cruise in cabin for 2 people (there were only 2 of us). Then our friends decided to book but their cabin wasn't close to ours. I looked on line and saw the cabin next to them was available but it was designated for either 3 or 4 people. At this point they had opened up  the 3/4 cabins to be booked by smaller parties. It was available for ANY size party to book on line. I called to see if I could move to that cabin (it was the same category we were already booked in) but they wouldn't allow it. I really think if they are allowing it to be booked on line for any size party, they should allow it when you call too. It's very possible that this is due to Carnival customer service reps not properly trained. I could have taken it further to try and get that cabin but I didn't. It really wasn't that big of a deal to us.

Because if the phone PVP booked you into a mismatched occupancy, people are more likely to scream when they get moved vs if they booked themselves.  Booking it yourself, you may be planning to add more people. while the PVP will have asked "how many are sailing".

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 12:25 PM, Futureman3000 said:

Why would they tie up a room for 4 with 3 people?  It's not shady, it's Business 101, maximize occupancy. 

Hi

Yes. That is why I originally made the suggestion to ask for a Carnival PVP. It could only be a Carnival employee that would take the OP out of that cabin, it can only be a Carnival employee that can get it back. The Carnival PVP (at least the good ones) will do most anything they can to keep their clients pleased with their efforts, because they have a vested interest. There are only a limited number of things that they can do...this would be one of them. Once back into a preferred cabin spot, it is unlikely (Not impossible) that the OP would be moved again.

One other thing...if you don't like your PV, just ask for another.

On 3/27/2019 at 4:59 PM, WDWPolyGirl said:

So I just booked a cruise for Jan 2020 today.  I usually like having a back end of ship cabin and as USUAL I picked my room number while booking.  While I was messing around on the Carnival website, I found I would not mind having a on deck 10 at the front of the ship.  I called the 800 number and asked to switch rooms and she said no problem she would take a look.  I already had the site pulled up and knew what rooms were open.  She said I could not have that room because it was for 4 people.  I told her the room I am in now is for 4 people, even though I only have 3 in my party.  

NOT ONLY did she not let me have the room for 4 ( that I could have booked online) but cancelled my original room and made me switch to a room for a max of 3 people.  I told I didn't understand, that  I was already booked why do I have to change if the site let me have that room?  She said occupancy restrictions.  My name would have come up on a "report" and Carnival would make me change rooms eventually and since I called as a customer service rep, she has to do it.  I could either take a room for a max of 3 or cancel my reservation.

I am just beside myself.  I just  don't understand.  Is this correct?

Yeah could be an extra 3rd/4th person fare + whatever they spend onboard. In other words, they are missing out on unrealized revenue if they sell rooms under capacity.

Edited by Keys2Heaven

It sounds like the operator wanted you to think you’d for sure end up losing your stateroom. I believe it would have been a risk; they COULD have moved you if needed, but it wouldn’t have happened with absolute certainty. During peak family travel time, it’s likely they would have had to move you. If it was during school time, maybe you could have kept it. Either way, you went through a frustrating and disappointing experience. I hope you end up with a stateroom you like!