This Just Happened!

WDWPolyGirl

So I just booked a cruise for Jan 2020 today.  I usually like having a back end of ship cabin and as USUAL I picked my room number while booking.  While I was messing around on the Carnival website, I found I would not mind having a on deck 10 at the front of the ship.  I called the 800 number and asked to switch rooms and she said no problem she would take a look.  I already had the site pulled up and knew what rooms were open.  She said I could not have that room because it was for 4 people.  I told her the room I am in now is for 4 people, even though I only have 3 in my party.  

NOT ONLY did she not let me have the room for 4 ( that I could have booked online) but cancelled my original room and made me switch to a room for a max of 3 people.  I told I didn't understand, that  I was already booked why do I have to change if the site let me have that room?  She said occupancy restrictions.  My name would have come up on a "report" and Carnival would make me change rooms eventually and since I called as a customer service rep, she has to do it.  I could either take a room for a max of 3 or cancel my reservation.

I am just beside myself.  I just  don't understand.  Is this correct?

Think that you need to call Carnival and talk with a supervisor. I have booked rooms for four people by myself and three with one other person. Or just cancel, book online.  If the supervisor does not work ask for their supervior and keep going. I was told one time by my PVP that i could be moved bot that he had never known that to happen. Most room with four people end up with two anyway

Edited by jmcathome
  • Like 1

I have been told about passenger capacity before as well. I was also informed that we could be moved and took the risk. My pvp said he has heard of it happening but its rare. I would expect the few times would be during peak season and not January

• Like 1

Hi Poly,

If you like dealing with the cruise line directly, I would consider calling and asking for them to assign you a PVP. Their job is basically to help you out. They would be more likely to put you in the cabin of your choice, if you ask. Of course if a cabin for 4 were required for others, the cruise line always can move you. 

2 hours ago, WDWPolyGirl said:

So I just booked a cruise for Jan 2020 today.  I usually like having a back end of ship cabin and as USUAL I picked my room number while booking.  While I was messing around on the Carnival website, I found I would not mind having a on deck 10 at the front of the ship.  I called the 800 number and asked to switch rooms and she said no problem she would take a look.  I already had the site pulled up and knew what rooms were open.  She said I could not have that room because it was for 4 people.  I told her the room I am in now is for 4 people, even though I only have 3 in my party.  

NOT ONLY did she not let me have the room for 4 ( that I could have booked online) but cancelled my original room and made me switch to a room for a max of 3 people.  I told I didn't understand, that  I was already booked why do I have to change if the site let me have that room?  She said occupancy restrictions.  My name would have come up on a "report" and Carnival would make me change rooms eventually and since I called as a customer service rep, she has to do it.  I could either take a room for a max of 3 or cancel my reservation.

I am just beside myself.  I just  don't understand.  Is this correct?

Yes, it is correct.  

1 hour ago, xDisconnections said:

Curiosity makes me want to Google it

I live on the edge, so I Googled it. Most of them were for Hang Up Call Again. A couple Historic Urban Character Area (something in the UK). And Harvard University Cycling Association. I don't think those last two will help the OP.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

I live on the edge, so I Googled it. Most of them were for Hang Up Call Again. A couple Historic Urban Character Area (something in the UK). And Harvard University Cycling Association. I don't think those last two will help the OP.

Hmm, not too sure... the Harvard University Cycling Association can be a very useful referral when selecting a stateroom.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

I've heard they prefer suites. More room for their bikes.

Ah, so that’s the hookup you need for the complimentary suite upgrade. Diamond just doesn’t cut it but luckily they have extra space for 3 passengers in case OP was eligible.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DAllenTCY said:

HUCA = Hang up and call again........don't Google it, you will find other definitions.

David

Sounds like what I have to do when I call concerning price drops.  I usually give them a few minutes to find the fare code I'm looking at and when they say they can't find it, I say thanks anyway I will call someone who knows what to do.  Sometimes it takes 3 or 4 calls but always end up with the price adjustment in the end.  It amazes me the level of some of the CSR skills when making simple changes.  Good Luck to OP and hope you get the room you want!

• Like 1

Call and ask to talk to a Supervisor...if that doesn't work..cancel!...Check prices for other cruise lines,.... too many choices out there to get stressed....

Good Luck👍

Mike

Edited by mpdog42
add
  • Like 2

During peak times such as holidays, they usually will not put 3 people in a 4 person cabin.  Other times they will, but there is a rare chance of being moved later to a 3 person cabin.

Edited by Fla Senior

Yes....what they did is correct.  If you book a cabin which has unused occupancy or a handicap cabin you should expect to be moved unless it is the final push to fill up the remaining cabin prior to the sale date.

Edited by ray98
  • Like 1

I second asking for a PVP (Personal Vacation Planner) to be assigned to you if you're going to book by phone.  I have booked myself on the CCL website, but I typically go through my PVP.  She loves me, because like you, I already have my cabin picked out before I ever get on the phone with her.  I just give her the info & she books it.  The reason I go through her to book, is because if there is a problem she is there to help out.

In reference to capacity issues, yes they can switch you from a 4 person max to a 3 person max, but I don't think that happens very often at all.  If you were 2 people booking a 4 person cabin, your chances of being moved would be much higher. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mpdog42 said:

Call and ask to talk to a Supervisor...if that doesn't work..cancel!...Check prices for other cruise lines,.... too many choices out there to get stressed....

Good Luck👍

Mike

And assume that the grass is greener on the other side

WDWPolyGirl, thanks for sharing this with us.  I'm sorry this is happening to you.  I have to admit your report has me a little nervous about my own situation now.  I booked our family of 4 in a Grand Suite that has a 5 person occupancy for a BTB in January 2020.  Same Suite, both legs.  Like you, I picked what cabin I wanted before calling.  I have a PVP, though.  So I called him to book it.  While booking with him, I expressed my concern about being bumped out of our Suite for either leg, since we were 4 in a Suite for 5.  I definitely want to stay in the same room for both legs.  He assured me it wouldn't happen.  And I was satisfied and put that worry behind me.  But now I'm worried about it again.😟

1 hour ago, ShakyBeef said:

WDWPolyGirl, thanks for sharing this with us.  I'm sorry this is happening to you.  I have to admit your report has me a little nervous about my own situation now.  I booked our family of 4 in a Grand Suite that has a 5 person occupancy for a BTB in January 2020.  Same Suite, both legs.  Like you, I picked what cabin I wanted before calling.  I have a PVP, though.  So I called him to book it.  While booking with him, I expressed my concern about being bumped out of our Suite for either leg, since we were 4 in a Suite for 5.  I definitely want to stay in the same room for both legs.  He assured me it wouldn't happen.  And I was satisfied and put that worry behind me.  But now I'm worried about it again.😟

The question would be are there any Grand Suites with a 4 person occupancy ?

15 minutes ago, Futureman3000 said:

Why would they tie up a room for 4 with 3 people?  It's not shady, it's Business 101, maximize occupancy. 

Truly it is common sense....only certain cabins have the ability to hold 3 or 4 passengers.  They are in limited supply.