Live! DragonOfTheSeas' B2B on the Grandeur of the Seas 3.28 to 4.18.19

On 4/3/2019 at 1:50 PM, moe46 said:

Is there any news who will in fill for John Blair during his summer (July) break? Wondering how far in advance a CD plans/books entertainment or if booking is done shoreside at Head Office?

Bob Leininger June 2-October 6 per the last CD list

Thank you but I think this was for last year --.2018?  i'm not sure if he is still with Royal?

14 hours ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

We had a surprise when desserts cam out yesterday,  My picture of the cake is not very clear--but, you get the idea.  The cake was really beautiful and tasted good.  I wish I had gotten a picture of the waitress bringing out the whole try full for her tables.  

I do not know if yesterday was the actual anniversary. Or if they are going to be giving these on all of the cruises this year.  The waitress said they have not had them before.  [her English is not the best] She was so excited to pass them out. . . . I guess I will find out next cruise if it was a one off. 

What night was this served (formal, etc..).  Hoping we don't miss it if it's served on ours. 🙂

Thanx

5 hours ago, dutchclogs said:

Is there any news who will in fill for John Blair during his summer (July) break? Wondering how far in advance a CD plans/books entertainment or if booking is done shoreside at Head Office?

Bob Leininger June 2-October 6 per the last CD list

Thank you but I think this was for last year --.2018?  i'm not sure if he is still with Royal?

I will try to track him down today to ask him . . . or maybe his wife.  

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, birdylady said:

What night was this served (formal, etc..).  Hoping we don't miss it if it's served on ours. 🙂

Thanx

The anniversary cake was served on the third night before the end of the cruise.  It was not formal night.  I thought it would be on formal night, too.  

Well here we are on the last day of the first cruise.  This was the morning sunrise.  We have had smooth seas and sunshine everyday.  If it has rained it was overnight and I never saw it.  I hope our luck holds up. 

sunrise 2.jpg

last sunrise.jpg

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas
  • Like 2

On 3/30/2019 at 6:06 PM, ShillyShally said:

Thanks, I did after posting since I thought she probably hit all of them (with no way not to) but I've been surprised before on where some can/can't go!  I often forget the bay is that big, as when you start seeing open water driving you forget it still takes time to get to the Atlantic.  My usual water view is the Potomac River which is never open water viewing and usually fairly mucky 🙂

Back in my sailing days, we did an online group meetup at the Solomons, at the mouth of the Chesapeake.

One of the group did not have a boat at the time, so he invited some friends with a power boat to take him, and he would pay for the gas.  From the top of the bay. 

Needless to say, he had not REALLY understood how big the bay was until then. 😄

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

Well here we are on the last day of the first cruise.  This was the morning sunrise.  We have had smooth seas and sunshine everyday.  If it has rained it was overnight and I never saw it.  I hope our luck holds up. 

sunrise 2.jpg

last sunrise.jpg

Beautiful sunrise.  We woke up to rain here in NoVA and you will probably see it at some point today/tonight.  Should be out of the area by tomorrow am for our boarding :-).  Any info on b2b yet?

6 minutes ago, BND said:

Beautiful sunrise.  We woke up to rain here in NoVA and you will probably see it at some point today/tonight.  Should be out of the area by tomorrow am for our boarding :-).  Any info on b2b yet?

Yes, I am sure we will run into the rain.  I checked the weather map and there is a big blob of green over the outer banks of NC and pretty far out to sea.  I am sure the Captain is trying to miss most of it.  But, at some point we need to head to the Bay.

No word on B2B, yet. 

36 minutes ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

Yes, I am sure we will run into the rain.  I checked the weather map and there is a big blob of green over the outer banks of NC and pretty far out to sea.  I am sure the Captain is trying to miss most of it.  But, at some point we need to head to the Bay.

No word on B2B, yet. 

Yes, it is raining up here so you will eventually run into it.

How happy are you to know that when everyone gets off you get right back on for another cruise?!?! I want to do this one day...

1 hour ago, SRF said:

Back in my sailing days, we did an online group meetup at the Solomons, at the mouth of the Chesapeake.

One of the group did not have a boat at the time, so he invited some friends with a power boat to take him, and he would pay for the gas.  From the top of the bay. 

Needless to say, he had not REALLY understood how big the bay was until then. 😄

HAHA, I can see that, thankfully I'd definitely check before that sort of endeavor - pricey lesson!

1 hour ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

No word on B2B, yet. 

Beautiful sunrise!  Fingers crossed you avoid most of our rain today and have a seamless B2B!!

3 hours ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

What time do you need to get up to see the sunrise? I'll be on the April 18th sailing. If they print "Sunrise at...." in the daily how much earlier should you get out there?

Howard

Edited by HLR

5 hours ago, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

Yes, it is raining up here so you will eventually run into it.

How happy are you to know that when everyone gets off you get right back on for another cruise?!?! I want to do this one day...

I think we are almost into the rain.  The clouds are very threatening and the temp has dropped noticeably. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HLR said:

What time do you need to get up to see the sunrise? I'll be on the April 18th sailing. If they print "Sunrise at...." in the daily how much earlier should you get out there?

Howard

As long as you are on the deck by the sunrise time you should be good.  I took that pic this morning around 6:40am.  I like to let the sun rise a little above the horizon.  You get a better picture. 

6 hours ago, BND said:

Any info on b2b yet?

We got a letter placed outside our door in the late morning.  

It gives the general information I already knew from our last B2B [and only other one].  Your account is closed out overnight for the first cruise and they will open the new one with the CC on file. 

Stateroom attendants have been notified and will prioritize our cabins so we can get back into them. 

We need to keep our old sea pass cards, the new ones, and our passports with us all day. New cards will be available at Guest Services between 7:30 and 8:30 am. 

They gave the procedure for those who want to spend the day touring Baltimore.  Everyone else is to meet at 8:45 am in the centrum and staff will walk us through customs and back on the ship.  We plan to come back on the ship.

There was a paragraph added to the bottom of the letter in a different font.  It says there is a Coast Guard inspection and we will not be allowed on the ship until it is complete.  So, although the letter says they will walk us back onto the ship I doubt that is true. We will likely be waiting in the terminal with any other passengers that arrive early. It does not give any details. . . and this is really what we wanted to know.  I guess I will take my Kindle to read.

They have arranged a lunch for the consecutive cruisers from noon to 1pm in the MDR. That will be a nice change from the windjammer on embarkation day.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

As long as you are on the deck by the sunrise time you should be good.  I took that pic this morning around 6:40am.  I like to let the sun rise a little above the horizon.  You get a better picture. 

Thank you!  I've wondered this too - of course the one time DH and I tried to get one it was too cloudy but the quiet ship is a beautiful place that early in the morning!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

We got a letter placed outside our door in the late morning.  

It gives the general information I already knew from our last B2B [and only other one].  Your account is closed out overnight for the first cruise and they will open the new one with the CC on file. 

Stateroom attendants have been notified and will prioritize our cabins so we can get back into them. 

We need to keep our old sea pass cards, the new ones, and our passports with us all day. New cards will be available at Guest Services between 7:30 and 8:30 am. 

They gave the procedure for those who want to spend the day touring Baltimore.  Everyone else is to meet at 8:45 am in the centrum and staff will walk us through customs and back on the ship.  We plan to come back on the ship.

There was a paragraph added to the bottom of the letter in a different font.  It says there is a Coast Guard inspection and we will not be allowed on the ship until it is complete.  So, although the letter says they will walk us back onto the ship I doubt that is true. We will likely be waiting in the terminal with any other passengers that arrive early. It does not give any details. . . and this is really what we wanted to know.  I guess I will take my Kindle to read.

They have arranged a lunch for the consecutive cruisers from noon to 1pm in the MDR. That will be a nice change from the windjammer on embarkation day.

Well, hopefully CG inspection goes fast and smooth.  We'll have our Kindles while we wait in the terminal to board also.  We've seen b2b cruisers in the MDR on embarkation day when we've gone to locate our table after boarding.  They usually sit at the back of the MDR and last trip they were on the lower level.  On our Oasis b2b we got lunch in Giovanni's.  That was really nice.  I'm wondering where we go in Nov on Harmony.

Around 2010, I had received my first Kindle and took it on our spring cruise.  At the time, I was one of probably 30 people on the whole ship who had an e-reader.  Now, almost everyone does.  Makes luggage weigh less when it's not carrying a few extra books.

Edited by BND

4 hours ago, BND said:

Well, hopefully CG inspection goes fast and smooth.  We'll have our Kindles while we wait in the terminal to board also.  We've seen b2b cruisers in the MDR on embarkation day when we've gone to locate our table after boarding.  They usually sit at the back of the MDR and last trip they were on the lower level.  On our Oasis b2b we got lunch in Giovanni's.  That was really nice.  I'm wondering where we go in Nov on Harmony.

Around 2010, I had received my first Kindle and took it on our spring cruise.  At the time, I was one of probably 30 people on the whole ship who had an e-reader.  Now, almost everyone does.  Makes luggage weigh less when it's not carrying a few extra books.

I love books.  If I have the real thing I enjoy it more. 

But, the Kindle is my go to reader now.  We live in a rural area.  It is too far to go to the library all the time and too expensive to feed my reading fetish.  DH is a list maker he writes down the dates of our trips, where went etc.  Also, he writes down the book titles he reads and the dates he completes them. So, I do too. 

Last year I read 152 books. I "check them out" from the library online. I belong to 2 libraries.  The one from our community and the one from the community I worked. [still have access] I buy some e-books but many times I am willing to put it on reserve and wait for it to become available.  There are plenty of other things to read. 

One thing I wanted t mention is the food in the Windjammer.  We almost always eat in the MDR.  But we decided to go casual a couple of nights. this cruise.  

On the second formal night I was a little under the weather so we decided the MDR dinner was just too long.  The Windjammer had a Asian themed night.  They were doing cooked to order stirfry.  I was wonderful.  You know it is a good meal when there are almost as many crew/officers eating as passengers. 

Tonight was a British themed night.  They had the usual peas, cod, lamb etc.  They also had a seafood bar.  There is a carving board for meat each night and a daily sundae bar.  

2 types of Shrimp and mussels and I can not remember what else.  It was a very professional presentation.

seafood bar.jpg

Look at these cakes.  They tasted as good as they looked. 

cakes.jpg

If you look beyond the ice cream you can see how few people are in the windjammer.  

icecream.jpg

Just now, suesnake2002 said:

Wait a minute.......why is he wearing groucho glasses

Screenshot_20190405-201134.jpg

They do that in the Windjammer all the time.  The woman that hands out the purell at breakfast has a different wig and hat for each day.  She has an mp3 player blasting peppy music and dances the whole time.  The crew makes things interesting. 

13 hours ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

Tonight was a British themed night.  They had the usual peas, cod, lamb etc.  They also had a seafood bar.  There is a carving board for meat each night and a daily sundae bar.  

icecream.jpg

Sundae bar!  I'm in!

I can't remember if it was on my roll call or this thread that someone asked me if I knew who is taking over for John and Katrina Blair [CD and AM] when they leave on their vacation? I said I would find out.

I asked him this morning as he was checking out passengers from the current cruise. He said they haven't decided yet who's going to take his place or if they have they haven't told him. They are leaving June 13th and returning on August 8th. They will be on the Grandeur then until around Thanksgiving.

The Coast Guard inspection this morning lasted from around 9:20am to 11:05am.  They took us off the ship and into a lounge area at the terminal.  It was more comfortable than the large holding area by check-in.  [comfy chairs]  There is a large group of B2Bers.  I would say around 50.  

We saw a notice when we came back onboard that staterooms would not be ready until 2pm.  I know that will not be happy news for the new passengers.

• Like 1