Live! DragonOfTheSeas' B2B on the Grandeur of the Seas 3.28 to 4.18.19

Exactly 1 year ago, I was on the Grandeur doing my own live thread.  Who is your CD, is it Mike?  I heard he was on there earlier, but I haven't kept up with who's been on the Grandeur since this is the first time in quite some time that I don't have a Grandeur cruise scheduled.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rogueperson said:

Exactly 1 year ago, I was on the Grandeur doing my own live thread.  Who is your CD, is it Mike?  I heard he was on there earlier, but I haven't kept up with who's been on the Grandeur since this is the first time in quite some time that I don't have a Grandeur cruise scheduled.

John Blair is the CD.

2 hours ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

The lounge was packed.  The Concierge lounge was extended by opening the divider to the Viking Crown Lounge. We did not go to the diamond lounge, but I will check tonight.  

Our drink server made a comment that last cruise there were only 5 tables in use each night.  What a difference this cruise was.  

The Loyalty Ambassador gave all the numbers this morning at the top tier event. I tried to remember them.   There are 32 pinnacles, 140 D+ and 200 ish Diamonds onboard.  I did not post those earlier because I could be off by a couple.  i.e. Was it 32 or 34 Ps? :classic_blush: 

I expect next cruise to have more.  A longer cruise attracts more veteran cruisers.

There are not that many children onboard.  Less than I thought since some people are on spring break.

It wasn't that long ago that some cruises had no pinnacles and most had 4-6.  It's not quite spring break so kids are in school and of course on our 12 night there will be even less.  Our experience on the last 12 night we did (and really the last two years) was the CL is always extended into the VCL.  The last 12 night we did, there were times we could barely get a seat.  We were hanging out with two other couples and usually one of us would get there and grab seats in the VCL so we could sit together.  There was always a group of pinnacles (many that we've seen on multiple cruises) who stake out the corner at the front of the lounge, just below the appetizer bar and they were there every single night before we got there (usually around 615) and would leave just before we did for 8 pm seating.

Edited by BND

I am using the surf internet connection. And pictures are not loading for me very well. I will post some tomorrow when I'm in Charleston and have a better connection.

We went to the Diamond Lounge this evening during happy hour. The door was open to the lounge and they were using the aft portion of the South Seas Lounge for the over flow. We decided that it was a much better arrangement and that we would be visiting the Diamond Lounge in the future.

We will be on April 25th in the large OV. When I booked it was called spacious OV. I'm surprised they are calling then OV suite now since they are the same size as a balcony.

Was there a separate line outside the terminal for diamond and above? I had read that now that they had the Key program that only they and suites had the shorter security lines. After security there is then a Diamond and above line to check in.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jamscckmc said:

We will be on April 25th in the large OV. When I booked it was called spacious OV. I'm surprised they are calling then OV suite now since they are the same size as a balcony.

Was there a separate line outside the terminal for diamond and above? I had read that now that they had the Key program that only they and suites had the shorter security lines. After security there is then a Diamond and above line to check in.

Yes, the diamond and D+ line said Key also. We missed te rush. There few people in any of the lines and we arrived at 11am. Have fun on your cruise.

OK, we will have some pictures today.  I am not sure if the internet connection signal is just not strong enough to reach my cabin or what.  However, I am in the solarium posting now. 

This is the picture of Giovanni's from the first night.  You can see how empty it was.  There were only 4 tables the whole time we were there and 2 of those left shortly after we got there. 

20190328_193247.jpg

I was up early this morning and got some pictures.

These are from the outside pool deck. I took the last 2 pictures the first day.  You can see they had a lifeguard on duty even as cool as it was. 

outdoor pool.jpg

screen 2.jpg

swim vests.jpg

lifeguard.jpg

screen.jpg

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

Here are some pics of the solarium.  The first one is my favorite.  Someone asked about changes from the drydock.  There really isn't much you see.  It was mostly routine upkeep.  This sign is new from the last time we were  on the Grandeur. 

DH and I love kids.  We are former teachers.  But, it is nice to have a quiet place on the ship.

solarium door.jpg

There is not a chair hog in sight. Ha Ha.

solarium 2.jpg

The hot tub--one on each side of the pool

solarium chairs.jpg

the pool

solarium pool.jpg

1 minute ago, dixieva said:

Great pics!

Have a nice day!

Thanks!  We have been to Charleston many times.  So, we have done most of the usual things.  We plan to walk to the waterfront park and get a water taxi over to Patriot Park.  The USS Yorkton [and some other ships] is there.  . . . and we will think of the ride over as an excursion. 😁

OK--here are the last pictures for the time being.

sunrise 2.jpg

Charleston is a very walkable city.  You can see we are docked right downtown.

custom house.jpg

That is the old custom house building with the columns and the market is just beyond.

market and custonhouse.jpg

Here is a close up of the market.

market.jpg

market.jpg.url

This is the fleet restaurant on the waterfront.  We have never eaten there.  However, I see it listed whenever I look for things to do in Charleston. YMMV

fleet restaurant.jpg

This is our first stop this morning.  the water taxi pier. 

piers.jpg

We left the ship and headed to the pier you see in the picture above.  It is located at the Water Front Park.  

fountain.jpg

There some swings in the park to wait for the taxi.

swings.jpg

This is the dock the taxi left from.  You can see how close it is.  But it is about a 3 block walk in a square

thumbnail.jpg

On the water taxi.  There were lots of dolphin in the water.  but, I could never catch them in a photo.

yorktown 2.jpg

This ship was named for the aircraft carrier that was sunk in WW II.

yorktown.jpg

This was a large park with lots to see.  

The highlight of the day was a helicopter ride over the Charleston Harbor, beaches and lighthouses.  It was awesome!!

us in front of helicopter.jpg

The beach near Fort Multrie

beach by ft multrie.jpg

Fort Multrie

fort Multrie.jpg

The old Charleston light house.  It used to be 1/2 mile inland.  there has been lots of erosion.

Charleston Lighthouse.jpg

Fort Sumter

Fort Sumpter.jpg

The Grandeur of the Seas from the air

ship from the air.jpg

• Like 4

On 3/29/2019 at 1:11 PM, ShillyShally said:

OHHHH, awesome, thank you!  I love bridges, this makes the Grandeur a lock - does she do all 3 of these pretty much heading anywhere?  Or only going south?  What about Bermuda?

Onlye way for them to get out of the Bay.

Going North from Baltimore requires transiting the C&D canal.  And the Delaware Bay.  Both are very confined dredged canal.

Also, Grandeur is too big - The canal is currently 450 feet wide and 35 feet deep, which allows it to handle all sizes of cargo ships, tankers, tugboats and barges, and container-carrying vessels up to Seawaymax-classification (740 by 78 feet, 116 feet high, with a draft of 26 feet).

Grandeur  - 

Length: 279 m (915 ft)
Beam:
  • 32.2 m (106 ft) (waterline)
  • 36 m (118 ft) (maximum)
Draught: 7.82 m (26 ft)

Check a map.

Edited by SRF

19 minutes ago, SRF said:

Onlye way for them to get out of the Bay.

Going North from Baltimore requires transiting the C&D canal.  And the Delaware Bay.  Both are very confined dredged canal.

Also, Grandeur is too big - The canal is currently 450 feet wide and 35 feet deep, which allows it to handle all sizes of cargo ships, tankers, tugboats and barges, and container-carrying vessels up to Seawaymax-classification (740 by 78 feet, 116 feet high, with a draft of 26 feet).

Grandeur  - 

Length: 279 m (915 ft)
Beam:
  • 32.2 m (106 ft) (waterline)
  • 36 m (118 ft) (maximum)
Draught: 7.82 m (26 ft)

Check a map.

Thanks, I did after posting since I thought she probably hit all of them (with no way not to) but I've been surprised before on where some can/can't go!  I often forget the bay is that big, as when you start seeing open water driving you forget it still takes time to get to the Atlantic.  My usual water view is the Potomac River which is never open water viewing and usually fairly mucky 🙂

10 hours ago, breezy_carol said:

Looks like the Orioles game on the big screen.

Enjoy your day and thanks for the pictures.

This makes a case for us to start cruising when baseball season is officially underway - I have loved watching football at sea in the fall but baseball at sea sounds terrific 🙂