To Veendam or not next June 2020-please advise

Oceansaway17

So I see a really unique cruise to Norway early June of 2020. I wish Hal was using a newer ship but they are not. The ports look really interesting.

I am unsure of going on oldest ship in fleet from Amsterdam given recent reviews.

Unsure if ship is up for sale and if any renovations are planned.

I welcome any and all comments and advice.

I have been to Norway once having seen Bergen and Alesund and Geiranger. Too bad this cruise won't go to Oslo. Is Oslo worth seeing?

Thanks in advance for any help.  I am intrested in N Statendam but some ports not doing what Veendam is doimg.

14 minutes ago, Sir PMP said:

The 35 day cruise in early June is a great itinerary, including Spitsbergen, the ship is in good condition and has great service, go do it..

Spitsbergen!! I wish you hadn't posted that, it made me look at the itinerary--sooo tempting. Rotterdam this year, Veendam 2020. Either way some great itineraries.  

We've spent 90 days on the Veendam including 48 day Amazon Explorer and 35 Day Voyage of the Vikings.  Loved her!  Negative things have been posted ever since we went on our first 7 day Veendam cruise in 2007.    This itinerary sounds fabulous.  OP, thanks for pointing it out to me!

Sailed Veendam more than any other HAL ship. It has received some bad comments over the years but DW and I have always liked her and the smaller size is appealing unless you favor the larger ships

2 hours ago, summer slope said:

We were on her in January and although not spic and span she was great.  I'd sail on her again.

I also sailed on her this past January and she is in better shape than some other ships.  Crew was also great.  I would not hesitate for a minute to book her again.  The only negative item if I had to pick two are:  the cabin carpets could be replaced and the forward four elevators we're only running 2 or 3 at a time.  But the midship elevators were good.

Oh I should have mentioned it was the 14 day trip not the longer one. 

I see the ship is still on schedule for 2021 to cuba.

Still I would hate to have it sold ig I did book.

Thanks for the replies. I am thinking the ports of call up north are interesting enough but I wish statendam was going.

We just booked the Authentic Cuba cruise on the Veendam for late Oct. We prefer the older, smaller ships and sailed on the Maasdam (same vintage) a few years ago and found it to be very ship shape and a great crew. I read today that the Veendam is going to dry dock in April, so maybe some of the carpet and elevator issues will be addressed.

1 hour ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Oh I should have mentioned it was the 14 day trip not the longer one. 

I see the ship is still on schedule for 2021 to cuba.

Still I would hate to have it sold ig I did book.

Thanks for the replies. I am thinking the ports of call up north are interesting enough but I wish statendam was going.

I was a little hesitant, too, thinking what if they cancelled the cruise.  I've heard that has happened, but I think more often, they pass on the ship to the new owners after most itineraries are completed.  

Also, as to the condition of the ship, one thing you can always count on is a nice HAL dining experience and great service.  That is true no matter the ship.  (And we have cruised on some oldies.)