Using hall carpet as a guide

rebeltech8

That is one thing I can never understand about cruise ships and why they need different colour carpet or lifts facing forward for people to know where they are. For my it has always been natural. I have never gotten lost on a ship and have a memory of sorts that I only need to look at the deck plans before I go and study them for a few minutes and I know exactly where I am on the ship at any time and exactly where to go. Even when on the ship I always know which way is forward and aft no matter if I am blindfolded or not.

I just returned from a cruise on the Ruby Princess (with 3 inexperienced 85+ year olds).  They were constantly lost or misdirected.  I explained that if they got out of any 4 bank elevators, they needed to turn right/starboard or left/port.  That helped them get back to their cabins.

Getting them to public venues was much more of a challenge.  I told them to ALWAYS get off at deck 7 (Promenade deck).  Then walk forward or aft depending on where they wanted to go.  ....if they needed to get to decks 6 or 5, they could then take the center elevators.  They still got lost, but not trapped at the back dining room.

By day 13,  my folks and others still getting lost.  

Good luck.

4 hours ago, Coral said:

Too funny! 

But is true.... the number of people with no sense of direction if definitely higher on cruise ships..

Also after three seas days ... some people still have only seen, their cabin.. horizon court.. piazza... and the inside of the elevator.

I do try to help people whom look lost......   but some you can't.. like how many times one has seen people arguing which deck has what on it , then get off at the wrong deck..

Cheers Don 

10 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

They still got lost, but not trapped at the back dining room.

LOL, trapped at the back dining room...that's the-dining-room-of-many-four-letter-names for me, when I realize I've somehow wound up there again.

So many great suggestions.   We are on a Medallion cruise so I will be working to get the apps installed on their phones.  

When end they saw how many apps were available, it about freaked them out. 🙂 Needless to say, we will just be installing the one with the maps for now.

1 minute ago, cflutist said:

On the Majestic Princess,  port side is blue (even #s), starboard is red (odd #s).

We were in C102 and R614, the blue side.

Unusual it’s normally the opposite way around Port, = Red. Just like a vessels running lights.

18 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Unusual it’s normally the opposite way around Port, = Red. Just like a vessels running lights.

As I said earlier, we were in C102 and R614 and had no reason to walk down the red, starboard side.

20180924_231834.jpg

Edited by cflutist

20 minutes ago, cflutist said:

As I said earlier, we were in C102 and R614 and had no reason to walk down the red, starboard side.

20180924_231834.jpg

I’m not doubting you, I just think it’s strange fir them to depart from the traditional colouring, I was probably about 3 or 4 when I was first taught Port= 4 letters = left, Port Wine = Red.

5 hours ago, rebeltech8 said:

So many great suggestions.   We are on a Medallion cruise so I will be working to get the apps installed on their phones.  

When end they saw how many apps were available, it about freaked them out. 🙂 Needless to say, we will just be installing the one with the maps for now.

So sorry, I checked with the staff at the internet cafe.  There are NO apps that show the deck plans.  The event planner shows the venues.  I would think they would have a way to show you where you are and how to get where you want to go.  Alas...technology can't fix directionally challenged.

The app I mentioned that has the maps is called OceanCompass.  It is one of the Medallion apps which allows you to locate someone in your party and creates a path for you to get there.

its buggy as heck and won’t allow me to enter my reservation number to be able to use the features. But it does have deck maps for the ships that have converted to the Medallion system.

4 hours ago, rebeltech8 said:

The app I mentioned that has the maps is called OceanCompass.  It is one of the Medallion apps which allows you to locate someone in your party and creates a path for you to get there.

its buggy as heck and won’t allow me to enter my reservation number to be able to use the features. But it does have deck maps for the ships that have converted to the Medallion system.

I was just off the Ruby and only had the door opener.  My impression from the internet cafe guy was that it wasn't part of the full app.  Good to hear that there is availability.  Now how to get 80 year olds to use the app.  

23 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Now how to get 80 year olds to use the app.  

I know right... I have been in IT for 25 years and I had problems trying to get it to work.   Might have more fun just locking the phone up for a week and not even messing with it.  😀

44 minutes ago, rebeltech8 said:

I know right... I have been in IT for 25 years and I had problems trying to get it to work.   Might have more fun just locking the phone up for a week and not even messing with it.  😀

I was very reluctant about this "new" medallion app and I am rather tech savvy for an old broad.  It does have some good points.  The Ruby Princess had limited access to the Medallion.  It opened the cabin door (Still needed two hands:  one to place the cruise card up to monitor/one to turn handle).  I expected door to pop open when I had coffee and IC desserts in my hand.  

But Ocean Concierge was useful.  Got a couple of those older folks to use messenger.   Event planner was a nice change from carrying around the Patter.  Now, if only, they added a memory reminder!  

I am attached to my iPhone and wouldn't think of locking it up in the safe.  It would be nice if they could link it to my Apple watch.  

On 4/27/2019 at 10:37 AM, cr8tiv1 said:

So sorry, I checked with the staff at the internet cafe.  There are NO apps that show the deck plans.  The event planner shows the venues.  I would think they would have a way to show you where you are and how to get where you want to go.  Alas...technology can't fix directionally challenged.

We havn't sailed on a Medallion cruise but I'm pretty sure Princess@Sea showed a deck plan. At least if you wanted to find a venue there was a "locate" button and that brought up the deck plan to show you where the venue was located.