Using hall carpet as a guide

rebeltech8

We have cruised with Princess several times and have another scheduled for June.  This time, my parents are joining us and will be their first cruise.

i remember our.first time cruise with Princess and how magical it seemed. However, we would often take off walking to our cabin only to realize we were on the wrong side of the ship.  It was a huge discovery for us when we noticed one hallway had carpet trimmed in blue and the other trimmed in red.

We are trying to help my parents get ready for their cruise by giving them tips we have learned.  Does anyone know if the color of the carpets in the hallway are still different? Or do we rely on even and odd room numbers?

Thanks guys

12 minutes ago, rebeltech8 said:

We have cruised with Princess several times and have another scheduled for June.  This time, my parents are joining us and will be their first cruise.

i remember our.first time cruise with Princess and how magical it seemed. However, we would often take off walking to our cabin only to realize we were on the wrong side of the ship.  It was a huge discovery for us when we noticed one hallway had carpet trimmed in blue and the other trimmed in red.

We are trying to help my parents get ready for their cruise by giving them tips we have learned.  Does anyone know if the color of the carpets in the hallway are still different? Or do we rely on even and odd room numbers?

Thanks guys

Most ships that have replaced their carpets do not have the different color boarders. The Royal Princess also did not have this feature. One way is to look at the cabin numbers when entering the hallway. Odd numbers mean you are on the starboard (right) side, even means port (left) side. Lower numbers are forward with higher numbers aft. There are also pictures and other visual references in the elevator lobbies. Get to know your deck's pictures and references and your hall's direction by facing the picture or reference.

Edited by skynight

We noticed that also about the carpets on one of our first cruises and always usd that as our guide for getting to the correct side of the ship for our cabin.  The newer ships do not have the different colors of carpet. We have sailed the Royal and Regal the last several years.  What ship will you be sailing on?  

Last several cruises last year on different ships, Princess had replaced the hallway carpets so that the different border is gone.  I always go by the cabin number with port side being even numbers and starboard side odd numbers.  However since we seem to have settled on port side aft area for all our cabins, it has made it easier no matter which ship we are aboard.  

• Like 1

We were on the Crown Princes in February/March and although the design was nearly the same there were 4 squares on the outside of the pattern that was different colors. I believe they were red on one side of the ship and blue or green on the other.

There is something unique about the carpet on either side but it is not as apparent from a distance.

Notice the squares have a color and they are different on the other side of the ship (not my picture).1781811421_hallcopy.png.9ef99af316440002c867e35ebb2d6758.png

Edited by Coral

We are in our late 70's and have 13 cruises with Princess...last one was 02/03/2019 for 14 days.  Which ever elevators you use, back, front or middle (other than the panoramic in the midsection), just remember which way you turn when you get our of these elevators.  You will go left or you will go right no matter which deck you are on.  You should have it down pat after a day or so.  Hope this helps and happy cruising.  Our next in 01/11/2020 on the new Sky Princess.  YAY!!!

7 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Norwegian has fish swimming forward on their carpet.  That way you know if you are headed forward or aft. Plus they have blue on Starboard, and Yellow on Port

I remember that from one of our cruises.  Didn't know they were still doing it.

Edited by DavyJoneses

4 hours ago, ohnonotmeagain said:

When you exit the lifts, on most ships you are facing forward. Then you can determine whether to turn right or left.

Exactly!  Almost all do and we've never had a problem knowing which way to turn.  

Still sort of hate they're doing away with the colored borders because they were extremely helpful to those who did get confused.  

Edited by OCruisers
  • Like 1

I forget which ships had it, but on some of the Princess ships (I think Star was one) we have been on there were green dots on one side of the ship and red dots on the other side in the hallway carpet pattern. 

1 hour ago, donswife said:

I forget which ships had it, but on some of the Princess ships (I think Star was one) we have been on there were green dots on one side of the ship and red dots on the other side in the hallway carpet pattern. 

We saw the dots too, not as obvious as border color but still works.

12 hours ago, rebeltech8 said:

Thanks guys

Not the same alternating patterns anymore as the carpet gets replaced.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/29/2019 at 8:24 AM, Loverofdogs said:

We noticed that also about the carpets on one of our first cruises and always usd that as our guide for getting to the correct side of the ship for our cabin.  The newer ships do not have the different colors of carpet. We have sailed the Royal and Regal the last several years.  What ship will you be sailing on?  

Dear Loverof dogs,

Yes Maam. Color coding is such a nice way for many to navigate the decks well and better.

Suggest that to them as inmstead of having a multi Thousand US$ Project to find that need again, the ships have done it before for decades.

It may be they think somehow having only one color in carpeting made overseas it saves money in one color.. but those Penny Pinches are not cruiser..🤔

I have never paid attention to the carpet but learned, even #'s on Port and Odd #'s on starboard. I sail mostly Royal Caribbean but have learned on the Princess ships like the Star Or Emerald, when going to the Horizon court, make sure you go through the ally way toward the pool in stead of the revolving doors. 

On 3/29/2019 at 12:04 PM, Coral said:

There is something unique about the carpet on either side but it is not as apparent from a distance.

Notice the squares have a color and they are different on the other side of the ship (not my picture).1781811421_hallcopy.png.9ef99af316440002c867e35ebb2d6758.png

The direction of the carpet, when installed, also points to the bow.

Also, when exiting the forward facing elevators, to the LEFT (4 letters) is the PORT (4 letters)side cabins with EVEN (4 letters, see a pattern here?). The low numbers start at the pointy end.

Easy- peasy.

Edited by EDDY0827

On 3/29/2019 at 5:22 AM, galveston gal said:

We were on the Ruby in December and the carpet is now the same on both sides.  We used to use that as a guide as well.

At one time the waves on the red/blue coded carpet also pointed to the front of the ship.

On 3/29/2019 at 5:08 AM, rebeltech8 said:

Thanks guys

If you are on a Medallion cruise, and you are willing to carry your smartphones with you, the Medallion will help you get around, tell you where you are, help you find others that are in your travel party, interact with screens on board to help with getting around.

On the golden when they recently recarpeted the hallways... it changed for colored borders to colored dots....

Also getting out of the elevators and always turning left or right is ok except the glass ones which face the other way...

Also another way is pick an cabin near the front or back of the ship,

One thing go for an explore around the ship....

On our last 13 day cruise we ran into quite a few people .. who had never been high than the food court ??? 

Cheers Don