Carry-On only for Carnival Cruise?

jbethel11

I traveled to Italy for 10 days, including speaking at a writers conference, on a single carry-on and personal item. So a 7-day Caribbean cruise would be easy, since I would be in a swimsuit for much of the time and that doesn't take up much space.

Honestly, I think it could be done as long as you're not planning to dress super formal for elegant night. Shorts, sundresses, light clothing, swimsuits. Only you know what you need, but I think it can be done.

14 minutes ago, Anyislandwilldo said:

My rule of thumb for me is to travel through the airport hands free if possible.  I check my suitcase and then use a back pack to carry on electronics, snacks and such.  That's just me though.

My rule of thumb, on the other hand, is to not have to deal with baggage claim. Carry-on only whenever possible. 

I do express debarkation for the same reason -- I despise having to wait and find my bags when I get off the vessel (airplane, cruise ship, etc). When I'm off, I'm off. And I want to leave, not have to wait around and deal with bags.

• Like 4

When the airlines changed their pricing structure, they created this mess.  Personally, I just do not want to lug luggage around.  I just pay the price as part of the ticket, never having to worry about what clothes to pack, or any accessories we want.  I'm on vacation for a week, I just paid for a cruise, and a drink package, and my tips, and my transportation, or parking and everything else.  I'm not going to lug my bags around all day.....

9 hours ago, DukeASUGirl said:

I traveled to Italy for 10 days, including speaking at a writers conference, on a single carry-on and personal item. So a 7-day Caribbean cruise would be easy, since I would be in a swimsuit for much of the time and that doesn't take up much space.

Honestly, I think it could be done as long as you're not planning to dress super formal for elegant night. Shorts, sundresses, light clothing, swimsuits. Only you know what you need, but I think it can be done.

I already know my family will need to check 2 bags, as since we only go on cruises about once a year, formal night is important. 

I have a 14 day cruise booked for next year (transatlantic Mardi Gras!), and I've been thinking about this topic since I booked it.

I know my DW and I will fly to London for a couple of days before the cruise. 

How do I convince her that we only get each a carry-on for a 14 day cruise?  I can do it, because I don't mind wearing clothes multiple times or using the laundry service. But she likes to bring extra stuff.  And weather will be iffy--September in Europe and crossing the Atlantic to New York. Can't guarantee sunny weather the whole time.

I foresee a battle. 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Packing cubes will save so much room.  I bet you could get at least 4 days of clothes into one of the medium size and slip that into each backpack or "personal item" that fits under the seat.

Febreeze or the downy wrinkle releaser to hang and freshen an outfit and wear it again a few days later

One pair of jeans should be fine to rewear a few times.  Take easy breezy and most importantly, lightweight clothing

Have a great trip!

Doing a "carry-on only" cruise really  isn't that tough (e.g. there are no "secrets").  Just use your common sense.  We've done a week in NOLA followed by a B2B2B just doing carry-on. it's not that big of a deal.

One thing not mentioned so far in this thread is how liberating it feels doing only one carry-on. Ya pack what ya need and exclude the rest.  I'm a big believer in the phrase "happiness is knowing the differences between needs and wants...".

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, LostPuppy said:

One thing not mentioned so far in this thread is how liberating it feels doing only one carry-on. Ya pack what ya need and exclude the rest.  I'm a big believer in the phrase "happiness is knowing the differences between needs and wants...".

AMEN!! so so so many people don't get that there is a HUGE difference between the two!

15 hours ago, DukeASUGirl said:

That right there is what makes it a challenge and a "game" to me. I do backpack and carry-on WITH my suit and formal clothing for my children included. The hardest part isn't finding the room...it's not wrinkling it!

If I absolutely had to use a suitcase small enough to carry on a plane, I think I would just plan on doing a load of laundry mid-week.  I have noticed that I spend the majority of my time in swimsuit & coverup.  So, I pack 3 of those, so I don't have to wear a wet bathing suit.  Dinner outfits - I typically wear capris on non elegant nights, so I'll pick black & just bring a few tops that will go.  Elegant night, I try to pack shoes that will go with both dresses.  A few times we just didn't go all out, so there wasn't as much to bring.  I wear my sneakers on the way, so they aren't taking up a lot of space.  Other footwear is flip flops.  I use packing cubes & roll the items that go in them.  I also have space bags that don't require a vacuum - they have a one-way valve, so you put the clothes in, zip it up, roll it to squeeze the air out, then lay flat in the suitcase.  You just have to keep weight in mind.  We have a pretty good-sized backpack for documents, meds, electronics, wine.  I also have a smaller backpack that holds a few more items if needed.  

20 minutes ago, Garth2 said:

1.  How much is a checked bag?

2.  How much did you pay for the cruise?

3.  Divide 1. by 2.

For me, it's not the cost but the convenience. Checking a bag means I have to go to baggage claim and wait for the luggage to come onto the carousel. Nope. Not worth it, when I could otherwise walk right out of the terminal and head to the Uber waiting line.

Carry-on all the way!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, jdemps said:

Packing cubes will save so much room.  I bet you could get at least 4 days of clothes into one of the medium size and slip that into each backpack or "personal item" that fits under the seat.

Febreeze or the downy wrinkle releaser to hang and freshen an outfit and wear it again a few days later

One pair of jeans should be fine to rewear a few times.  Take easy breezy and most importantly, lightweight clothing

Have a great trip!

Unfortunately, I do not like wearing the same clothes twice. I will probably have to check 2 bags for a family of four, one of those bags being formal wear and toiletries that need to go under the plane. 

I've done several cruises up to 8 days with only an airline carry on and personal item. I usually bring around 10-12 shirts, including one or two nice shirts for elegant night. One pair of long pants to be recycled for both elegant nights. The rest is just shorts, swimming trunks, underwear and socks...  Remember, you'll never see any of these people ever again, no need to dress to the nines every day and night...

• Like 2

21 hours ago, jbethel11 said:

Can you bring two carry-ons to the gate and then ask to check one of them for free? Would that work/is it legal?

What I'm saying is that if you are going to check one bag on the airplane regardless.  Then if you have a carry on sized bag too, just ask them at the luggage check counter if they are looking for volunteers to check carry on sized bags for free.

Of course it's legal!  Alaska airlines is who asked me if I would volunteer to check my carry on for free.

On 3/31/2019 at 7:04 AM, Palmetto Pilot said:

That is my advice, as a commercial pilot. Pay for a checked bag. Certain airlines especially low cost Carriers have extremely restrictive carry on and personal bag requirements. If the carry on is too big it's going to be gate checked anyway, and if you knowingly gatecheck a bag that too big....guess what you're going to get charged. Lost luggage is statistically extremely rare. 

Fly Southwest

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Hopefully you aren’t sailing on Carnival since they no longer have formal nights. 

They have Elegant nights - like  most cruise lines they have done away with true formal nights.

`

2 hours ago, jbethel11 said:

Unfortunately, I do not like wearing the same clothes twice. I will probably have to check 2 bags for a family of four, one of those bags being formal wear and toiletries that need to go under the plane. 

My wife takes two large bags just for herself (that's down from the 3 bags a few years ago). I take 1 bag and take advantages of the free laundry we get on Carnival.

1 hour ago, Roscoe13 said:

What I'm saying is that if you are going to check one bag on the airplane regardless.  Then if you have a carry on sized bag too, just ask them at the luggage check counter if they are looking for volunteers to check carry on sized bags for free.

Of course it's legal!  Alaska airlines is who asked me if I would volunteer to check my carry on for free.

What I meant was if I brought two carry-ons to the gate, even though I am only allowed one. Then, instead of being charged a carry-on charge fee, I can just volunteer to check one of the two carry-on bags. 

On 3/31/2019 at 7:39 AM, BBigfoot613 said:

I love how we live in a society where someone asks for TIPS and they get "I'm glad I live close to not worry about it" or "I'd just pay the $$" and "Don't be cheap" type responses. I thought this was a message board to HELP people? When did we become a society that just bashes people constantly instead of giving the requested help or if not having any advice just scrolling on? Are we really that miserable of a society that we have to bash people constantly? MAYBE the OP doesn't want to pay the fee...but MAYBE the OP just doesn't want to worry about lost luggage from a connection or MAYBE there is a different reason all together. As members on this board we are here to gather info and if inclined to help others with our knowledge. I'll climb down from the soap box but hope that those that post crappy comments never find the info they desire..

You are awesome!!!!

• Like 2

On 3/31/2019 at 9:39 AM, BBigfoot613 said:

I love how we live in a society where someone asks for TIPS and they get "I'm glad I live close to not worry about it" or "I'd just pay the $$" and "Don't be cheap" type responses. I thought this was a message board to HELP people? When did we become a society that just bashes people constantly instead of giving the requested help or if not having any advice just scrolling on? Are we really that miserable of a society that we have to bash people constantly? MAYBE the OP doesn't want to pay the fee...but MAYBE the OP just doesn't want to worry about lost luggage from a connection or MAYBE there is a different reason all together. As members on this board we are here to gather info and if inclined to help others with our knowledge. I'll climb down from the soap box but hope that those that post crappy comments never find the info they desire..

Thanks for defending me! Some people are just bitter towards others!

• Like 4

We have a 16 day European trip (including a 10 day cruise from Rome) next month.  Due to the fact we have to navigate planes, trains, automobiles, and a ship, we've decided each person (including our 8- and 9-year-olds) gets a carry-on and a personal item.  My parents-in-law, who are joining us, have already packed their carry-ons with just a bit of room to spare.  I told my wife, if this works, it will change how we cruise forever.  If we can pack for 16 days in Europe in a carry-on, our 5 day Cuba cruise in July will be a piece of cake!

• Like 1