Roatan, Honduras excursions

On 4/2/2019 at 3:16 PM, ValerieJo said:

I just looked at their website but was trying to understand the cruise ship pricing.  It's showing 4 passengers for $750!  I'm not sure I interpreted their site correctly.  Can you tell me the cost of your excursion and did you have a group?  There are only two of us and it looks perfect but the price seems a bit high.  Thanks.

This looks amazing. Their site shows $150 for a 6 hr, 2 snorkel reef excursion incl lunch. Their cat looks like new too. The price is a little high but for a 6 hr tour and *****, I'm booking them on my next Roatan cruise. TY jungle1...

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 7:43 PM, RCCL Fan said:

Check out my review of vision of the seas...

I talk about victor Bodden tours, west bay beach, and the different beach clubs, west end & the sloths.
I posted photos too

Do you have a link to your review and the date encompassed.

20 hours ago, VPIcruiser said:

Was your ship time 2 hours ahead of Roatan time?  We have the same excursion booked. 

It was.  We were able to get off the boat about 7:30 local time (9:30 ship time).  Our driver was easy to find and was waiting for us when we got off.  We had about 6 hrs on the boat and they got us back in plenty of time. 

Their boat oat is docked about a 30 minute drive from the pier.  They plan to be back at their dock 2 hrs before all aboard which gives plenty of time to get back to the ship.  

19 hours ago, Johnamac123 said:

This looks amazing. Their site shows $150 for a 6 hr, 2 snorkel reef excursion incl lunch. Their cat looks like new too. The price is a little high but for a 6 hr tour and *****, I'm booking them on my next Roatan cruise. TY jungle1...

No problem.  It was first class all the way. All home cooked food, snacks in the morning, lunch, fresh watermelon waiting for us when we got back on the boat from the first snorkel stop.  Great rum punch and local beers.  Nothing like having someone bring you refills as you lounge on the front of the boat. 

As you said - a bit pricey but totally worth it. The crew are all great folks too. 

Hope you have as much fun as we did. 

46 minutes ago, VPIcruiser said:

Thanks for the info on the time difference.  I am really looking forward to this excursion.  

Note that the two-hour difference is due to Daylight Saving Time, which Roatan doesn't observe.  So for part of the year it's a one-hour difference (assuming the ship stays on Miami time) , and part of the year it's a two-hour difference.  

On 3/31/2019 at 7:38 PM, OCVTSGIRL said:

We are sailing on Symphony in September and one of our stops is Roatan, Honduras.  We have never been there and we were wondering if anybody has done excursions and what if any you would recommend?  

Us too!  We are celebrating our 25th Anniversary.  We spent this morning watching a bunch of you tube videos on the various beaches and excursions.  We wanted to book something through the ship as we have never been there and wanted to be safe.  We chose the Mayan Princess Resort - all inclusive.  The beach, water and pool all look amazing.  Are you on the cruise that departs Sept 28th?

On 4/1/2019 at 10:57 AM, Sobro said:

Snorkeling with Upachaya resort in Roatan was the best. Even better than Woodwind at Bonaire.

Can you share more information about your snorkeling excursion? We will be in Roatan in October. I love Woodwind, so anything close to that experience would be great! 

We did an RCL rain forest hike/beach excursion.  Really, really, really bad!  The hike was on some guy's land, the guides were too busy talking and joking among themselves to share any interesting info...well if I happened to be interested in electric meters I guess it would have been fun.  Lots and lots of standing in the humidity.  Pastries and juice were included as part of the excursion...think icky bread pudding type things from a plastic grocery carton.  There was supposed to be a beach break after the fab hike and pastries but about 1/3 of the participants went straight back to the ship.  Also...very unsafe.  Unless you're sure footed don't go, as a couple older middle aged women had a very hard time.  There were supposed to be guard rails to help on the down hike, but they were broken or rotten, so we were told not to put any weight on them.  Biggest waste of time ever.  I love nature hikes, and was looking forward to a good walk by that point in the cruise.  So disappointing.  

20 hours ago, camper51 said:

Us too!  We are celebrating our 25th Anniversary.  We spent this morning watching a bunch of you tube videos on the various beaches and excursions.  We wanted to book something through the ship as we have never been there and wanted to be safe.  We chose the Mayan Princess Resort - all inclusive.  The beach, water and pool all look amazing.  Are you on the cruise that departs Sept 28th?

We did the Mayan Princess resort when we sailed on Allure in February.   All in all it was a good day.   The resort, however, has plusses and minuses.    Getting there was an adventure.  In Feb they were rebuilding the road (the only real main road in Roatan) and its was one lane of travel, alternating directions all day.   That added about 1/2 hour to the trip.  Not a big deal, but be prepared.   The resort itself is fine, but not a lot to look at from the entrance.    When we arrived it was almost impossible to find loungers on the beach.  One large area is exclusively for those staying at the resort.  That turned out to be a blessing.   We wandered over to the pool area and found six loungers (and 6 in our group) by the pool.   The area was quiet, amazing, and only 20-30 paces from the beach.   The pool was very relaxing, with several different areas.   Where we were was closest to the beach, but still pretty secluded.  We had roaming bartender service all day, and drinks were included, and they were tasty.   Lunch was just okay.   You won't be wowed by the food, but the burgers and dogs were fine.   When on the beach, there are locals hawking all sorts of goods.  They don't really bother you, but they are there the whole time.   We did buy some ice cream from the one vendor.  Yummy on a warm day.   Now for the best part.....THIS WAS THE MOST BEAUTIFUL BEACH WE HAVE EVER BEEN ON.  This includes the beaches in Hawaii.   Now the whole environment in Hawaii was better, but the sand and water at the West Bay beach in Roatan is the best we've ever seen.  Soft sand, easy entry into the water, the bluest blues in the water.   Calm waters too.   The water was so clear, we could see forever, and even in just waist deep we had little fishies swimming through our legs.   There were also other pay additional water activities available, but we did not partake.

All in all, a SUPER RELAXING DAY.   For the price, and the non adventure day we were looking for, we thought it was well worth it.

This is a stock photo of the pool area.  The very loungers we used.

Image result for mayan princess resort roatan

Stock photo of the resort.   Pool is just behind the white building.

Image result for mayan princess resort roatan

Edited by zdad59

21 hours ago, camper51 said:

We are on the September 14th cruise.

4 hours ago, SECdawg said:

Can you share more information about your snorkeling excursion? We will be in Roatan in October. I love Woodwind, so anything close to that experience would be great! 

We were led between several coral heads such that you were looking at almost eye level to the coral instead of hovering over it. On Woodwind you just went along without directions to any features.

You can read all about it here:

http://upachaya.com/snorkel-excursions/