Remind me please.....suggested tips for butlers and stewards?

Harry Peterson

It was never accepted by all even if you think it wad. It was never proved at all. it was speculation repeated over and over again as if that would make it true.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, daiB said:

It was never accepted by all even if you think it wad. It was never proved at all. it was speculation repeated over and over again as if that would make it true.

OK. You stick to your view. I’m not naive enough to think that anything could ever change your mind, on this or any other matter.

8 minutes ago, docco said:

OK. You stick to your view. I’m not naive enough to think that anything could ever change your mind, on this or any other matter.

Well certainly, you, will not change my mind. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Cruising Nomads said:

If the staff tip is reliant on customer feedback why have they stopped the feedback forms?

Because the feedback system is now online.  It's still possible, though, to complete the nomination forms for exceptional service - these can be had at reception.  We nominated both the staff providing us with cabin service.

15 minutes ago, Cruising Nomads said:

If they were relying on online feedback then the service reward system would be worse than just filling in the forms.

Why?  It shouldn't affect the percentage of negative/positive feedback reports - though I doubt they'll get anything like the numbers.

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 2:55 PM, majortom10 said:

I thought P&O were still charging £7pppd at the moment automatically charged to your account . If so I wouldnt tip anyone anything unless they had gone well above expectations for a particular reason. Once they are removed across all the ships then I wouldnt tip any extra as it defeats the object of including them in the price. If everyone still tipped extra then butlers/stewards and waiters would become to expect it as the norm and are then getting tipped twice.

totally agree, the tips are now included just enjoy your holiday. 

3 hours ago, daiB said:

Dai, I do have proof, an e-mail I received from one of Chris Edgingtons minions stated that the staff wages and rewards were not affected by passengers removing the auto tip, and also that all tips handed to staff by passengers were theirs to keep. I reported and quoted this at the time almost 2 years ago on a very active thread that you were involved with, from memory you did not respond to my post at that time, but it will still be around somewhere.

13 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Dai, I do have proof, an e-mail I received from one of Chris Edgingtons minions stated that the staff wages and rewards were not affected by passengers removing the auto tip, and also that all tips handed to staff by passengers were theirs to keep. I reported and quoted this at the time almost 2 years ago on a very active thread that you were involved with, from memory you did not respond to my post at that time, but it will still be around somewhere.

Agree that the staff can keep any cash tip either instead of or as well as. As for the Auto tip that goes to the staff. That is what I have been told.

8 minutes ago, daiB said:

Agree that the staff can keep any cash tip either instead of or as well as. As for the Auto tip that goes to the staff. That is what I have been told.

For heaven's sake, move on.  This was all done and dusted a long time ago - accept that you've got it wrong and learn from what others tell you instead of carrying on digging.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, docco said:

For heaven's sake, move on.  This was all done and dusted a long time ago - accept that you've got it wrong and learn from what others tell you instead of carrying on digging.

No it was not done and dusted at all as many people did not believe what you are saying. But they did not want to take it up with you and one or two others. They have however contacted me separately.

I find it incredibly rich that you of all people should tell me to move on when you yourself have gone on and on about certain topics. 

Just because you say it is so does not make it so. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, daiB said:

No it was not done and dusted at all as many people did not believe what you are saying. But they did not want to take it up with you and one or two others. They have however contacted me separately.

I find it incredibly rich that you of all people should tell me to move on when you yourself have gone on and on about certain topics. 

Kettle, pot, black?!!!🙂

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, daiB said:

I'm just a tad surprised to hear that all those people have contacted you privately because they didn't want to express their views on the forum - still, it's an odd world, isn't it.  

As you so rightly say, "just because you say it is so does not make it so".  That's why we have something called evidence.

1 minute ago, docco said:

I'm just a tad surprised to hear that all those people have contacted you privately because they didn't want to express their views on the forum - still, it's an odd world, isn't it.  

As you so rightly say, "just because you say it is so does not make it so".  That's why we have something called evidence.

It’s an odd world when they do not want to get into conversations with the likes of you.

• Haha 1

The world is flat. I know that’s the case. Lots of people on this forum have written to me agreeing with me. As I look through my window, I can see two men in white coats. I guess they’re coming to say they agree with me. Just going to welcome them in.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, eddie11 said:

Haven’t we all missed the Tipping threads ... ?

😂 I was just thinking the same thing. Sadly, I predict that they will never end. Once the service charge is consigned to history there will be new threads alleging that cash tips given to staff have to be handed in as part of the master plan to boost P&O’s profits. Just wait!

But from May 2019, Automatic daily gratuities are no longer, now included in cruise fare and non negotiable, right?  So there should be no more tipping threads.  Staff will be paid from the P&O coffers.

7 hours ago, NSWP said:

But from May 2019, Automatic daily gratuities are no longer, now included in cruise fare and non negotiable, right?  So there should be no more tipping threads.  Staff will be paid from the P&O coffers.

My point was that although gratuities will indeed be included in the fare, many of us will still choose to cash tip some staff for ‘over and above’ service. There is no requirement or expectation to do so, but some of us just will in the full knowledge that those staff are allowed to keep them. Meanwhile, the conspiracy theorists will start claiming that these additional cash tips have to be handed in to boost P&O’s coffers = tipping thread! I sincerely hope that I am wrong, but I have seen over many years how these forums operate and the amount of complete nonsense that can be portrayed as fact! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, NSWP said:

There will still be tipping threads. There are on Marella forums and they have included the 'tips' in the fare for at least the 11 years I have been cruising. I typical question might go like this. "I know tips are included but how much do you tip the cabin steward etc etc"

Answers include:

tips are included in the fare so no need to tip

I tip if the crew member has really enhanced my cruise experience

Don't bow to peer pressure, no need to tip just because others do so

Don't believe others when they say they tip large amounts, they may be boasting to boost their self esteem

The crews already get an increased salary which is why they are happy and efficient

The tipping culture is not American where the tips are expected to make up poor wages

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1