Anthem of the Seas

My first cruise on an RCL ship.   What restaurants are open on embarkation day?

Is the (free) Escape Room a good thing to do?

Any other tips from seasoned RCLers appreciated.

thanks

1 minute ago, Rhea58 said:

My first cruise on an RCL ship.   What restaurants are open on embarkation day?

Is the (free) Escape Room a good thing to do?

Any other tips from seasoned RCLers appreciated.

thanks

Look at the day 1 Compass in this thread for restaurants open on embarkation day:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2657067

It varies. We had Chops scheduled, but ended up at Jamie’s. We had pre-paid, and they adjusted our bill. We were told that it could be either one. Both are upcharge.

If I remember correctly, the Solarium restaurant was open. 270 was def open too. Of course, Windjammer buffet, and pizza place. These are free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We sailed Anthem in Oct 2018, and the line to get into Windjammer was about 15-30 minutes at lunch time.  They recommended we go to "270" in the Solarium.  Food was excellent for a small buffet and there was only a 2-4 minute wait. We bought the Key this time and will have lunch at Chops when we sail in June. Host Clarea has always been spot on with her information and very reliable. Many things are to taste, so use CC to check out what some of these recommendations by reading the write ups CC has to offer.  Yes there are always lots of small points on these questions, so ask your questions. 

I always avoid the WJ as much as I can and use the Solarium for breakfasts and lunches!  I will be heading there on the first day, when I sail on the Anthem in May!  I ate all my breakfasts/ lunches in the Solarium on my last cruise (Harmony) and really enjoyed it!  Looking forward to sailing on the Anthem- my first time for this ship!

• Like 1

I have sailed on the Anthem 3 times now, and I find the Solarium is your best bet for breakfast & lunch unless its off peak. I've never had issues with the windjammer on any other ship like I do on the Anthem. I'm not sure if it's just not big enough or what the case is but it never seems to flow well.

Is Windjammer open the entire time from Day 1 embarkation until dinner?  Or is it only open for a few hours?

On our last cruise I was amazed at how many people first got on-board and immediately went to Windjammer to eat.  We used that opportunity to try to get in as many activities as possible before the ship got crowded.  i.e. get into the pools and hot tubs before they get all "dirty" and crowded, do rock climbing walls, flow-rider, slides if they exist, etc. and in the case of Anthem also look at booking iFly or other things that can have long lineups.   It was almost like an extra port day, which I guess it is, but a bonus one. 

34 minutes ago, fscool said:

Is Windjammer open the entire time from Day 1 embarkation until dinner?  Or is it only open for a few hours? ...

That info should be in the Compass linked in post #2.

1 hour ago, fscool said:

Is Windjammer open the entire time from Day 1 embarkation until dinner?  Or is it only open for a few hours?

On our last cruise I was amazed at how many people first got on-board and immediately went to Windjammer to eat.  We used that opportunity to try to get in as many activities as possible before the ship got crowded.  i.e. get into the pools and hot tubs before they get all "dirty" and crowded, do rock climbing walls, flow-rider, slides if they exist, etc. and in the case of Anthem also look at booking iFly or other things that can have long lineups.   It was almost like an extra port day, which I guess it is, but a bonus one. 

Alsop Bumper Cars is a good time as soon as you board.  It will have the shortest lines of the whole cruise.

3 hours ago, EKRAFT22 said:

I have sailed on the Anthem 3 times now, and I find the Solarium is your best bet for breakfast & lunch unless its off peak. I've never had issues with the windjammer on any other ship like I do on the Anthem. I'm not sure if it's just not big enough or what the case is but it never seems to flow well.

Ugh....thanks for the heads up!  It took me a few cruises to "find" the Solarium for breakfasts and lunches!  I was getting tired of the WJ and the crowds.  This will be my first time on Anthem (sailing in May), and thought maybe I would check out the WJ, but I think I will pass, especially after seeing your post!!

On 4/2/2019 at 12:22 PM, SuiteLady said:

Ugh....thanks for the heads up!  It took me a few cruises to "find" the Solarium for breakfasts and lunches!  I was getting tired of the WJ and the crowds.  This will be my first time on Anthem (sailing in May), and thought maybe I would check out the WJ, but I think I will pass, especially after seeing your post!!

Don't pass on the WJ on Anthem, we have sailed Anthem four times and Anthem's WJ is right up there with Radiance class WJs.  The line out the door comment and wait sounds like an Oasis class ship, not Anthem.  Anthem has multiple omelet stations in the morning and usually someone cooking fried eggs on a flat top on the left side of the WJ.  There is a gluten free area across the back of the WJ where you can get crepes cooked to order at breakfast.  There is a coffee bar in the WJ where you can get specialty coffees.  There is also outside seating at the aft that some people do not realize exists.  We have also found the waiters on Anthem are very helpful with getting drinks for you.

Give it a shot, you might like it.

• Like 1