Navigator App

ScottC4746

We used the Navigator onboard during our trip April 24. Our wish list for improvements/changes: audible alerts that you have a message on Chat, weather info so you would not have to check out the in room TV,  be able to see the next day dinner menus.

Overall we felt it functioned well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, catl331 said:

Here is the first mention I can find, posted Feb 15th:

Thank you very much! We boarded February 15th and the only thing I noticed was that technicians obviously had quite a job fixing the reservations systems. 

• 2 months later...
On 4/5/2019 at 12:15 PM, Cruise4food said:

I hope that this new app can do one thing that the browser- based technique cannot do. Namely, place reminders and appointments directly into my iPhone system.  

If the app cannot do that, I prefer to stay with the browser access. Will test it this July on Maasdam.

I confirm that the Navigator app can trigger alerts on an iPhone, based upon selecting an event. For example, select Adagio playing at 5:30 and an alert will appear on screen without any extra effort. My default alert is 15 minutes before the event which is adequate time to walk from anywhere on Maasdam. 

Also, the Navigator app has a world map that depicts current position of every HAL ship. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

The at home use of this HAL Navigator app just got a slight boost in the recent update. You can now login with your Mariner ID and the world map of HAL ships works. Current location of each ship is shown with some details about the itinerary. Most of the other app sections just show a screenshot of how the page will work after you are onboard.

We were on the Amsterdam in August, and DH and I each had an iPhone and an iPad.  My iPhone had no difficulty loading the on board Navigator, but the other three devices just could not do it.  The Front Desk tried to connect us,  couldn't do it either, finally sent us to the Internet Manager.  He forced Pat's iPhone to connect (using his computer);  the 2 iPads were just too old.  (My iPhone has 12.4 OS, Pat's iPhone 10. + OS, but the 2 iPads were in the 9's for their operating systems.)

The Internet Manager was very helpful, loaded the Navigator app for me on my iPhone, and told me it would be useful.  DH has bought a new iPhone since we got back and downloaded the app.  The 2 iPads will have to be silent on the next cruise!  

He said the "upgrading" of the Navigator was all about security....

One useful thing about checking the "Internet" site on the Navigator, even if you don't buy internet time - it tells you the free sites (NYTimes, etc.)

6 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

the 2 iPads were just too old.  (My iPhone has 12.4 OS, Pat's iPhone 10. + OS, but the 2 iPads were in the 9's for their operating systems.)

That is interesting Ann.

I took my new Ipad and my old one last time for DH to try to watch soccer (lost cause most times) but navigator worked on both back them.

Now that you say that - my new Ipad is at a 12 update and my old one is still at 10.3 and not showing any updates needed to be installed.

Wonder if Apple is deliberately not sending updates to the older ones?  Hmmm.

On 5/6/2019 at 4:52 AM, ScottC4746 said:

I did not use the app but overheard another passenger say that the Daily Schedule on the app did not match the printed version.

I have had this experience.  I like to carry the printed "When and Where" with me all day that way I don't have to worry about taking my cell phone everywhere.

I loved the app when I was on the Maasdam this summer. I was able to stay in touch with my traveling companions when on board, it notified me when I had a chat message. I made ship excursions reservations, dinner reservations, etc. The schedules always synced with the actual schedules. 

I thought it worked well on the Zuiderdam in August.  However, as as previously been said, it didn’t always match up with the When and Where.  It was nice being able to see the day’s menu but I could do that on my tv as well.  It always reminded me that I had dinner in the dining room scheduled even though it was just fixed dining.  I don’t sign up for other things onboard so can’t speak to anything but dinner.