New Pinnacle Ship named - Ryndam!

Radbooks

15 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Yes, there will be

11 hours ago, Despegue said:

Google Pacific Princess...😇

I agree that this is the obvious choice.  If Carnival Corp wants to continue a mainstream small/boutique ship offering it makes the most sense to transfer her to HAL for the remainder of her tenure with the company. I suspect that after her fall 2020 Tahiti season and subsequent repositioning to FLL in December 2020 that Pacific Princess will enter drydock in early 2021 and emerge as Prinsendam. No major structural changes would be needed, just a cosmetic refresh and rebranding to HAL venue names - 3 to 4 weeks in total would be more than ample and the costs involved would be only marginally higher than a normal drydock. 

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

Pacific Princess becoming Prinsendam III?  If so, I won't be sailing on her regardless of her itineraries.  Her deck plan has no appeal to me.  The interior photos of her have no appeal.  Much interior reconstruction will need to be done to bring her into the 21st Century.   She is a ship of the past who has served her purpose well.

For the potential future HAL Prinsendam guests of the 21st Century, re-purposing one of the older Seaborun ships makes more sense to me if one wants a "longer return for the buck" spent than spending whatever money is needed to convert Pacific Princess into Prinsendam III.

7 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Pacific Princess becoming Prinsendam III?  If so, I won't be sailing on her regardless of her itineraries.  Her deck plan has no appeal to me.  The interior photos of her have no appeal.  Much interior reconstruction will need to be done to bring her into the 21st Century.   She is a ship of the past who has served her purpose well.

For the potential future HAL Prinsendam guests of the 21st Century, re-purposing one of the older Seaborun ships makes more sense to me if one wants a "longer return for the buck" spent than spending whatever money is needed to convert Pacific Princess into Prinsendam III.

Pacific Princess will not be a HAL ship!

In 1998 I was sailing on the Westerdam II.  I was at Sea when HAL celebrated her 125th Anniversary.  The Captain said that HAL would be building smaller and smaller.  The newest ship was the Rotterdam VI which was being build at that time. Sine then HAL has built three more R class ships, 4 Vista Class ships , two Signature Ships and two Pinnacle Class ships with a  third one on the way.  Will HAL ever have another small ship?  I have another question?  Was that Captain drinking something? 

Edited by Himself
made a correction on a name

27 minutes ago, Himself said:

In 1998 I was sailing on the Westerdam II.  I was at Sea when HAL celebrated her 125th Anniversary.  The Captain said that HAL would be building smaller and smaller.  The newest ship was the Rotterdam VI which was being build at that time. Sine then HAL has built three more R class ships, 4 Vista Class ships , two Signature Ships and two Pinnacle Class ships with a  third one on the way.  Will HAL ever have another small ship?  I have another question?  Was that Captain drinking something? 

My personal opinion; and this is speculation of course; I don't see HAL building any more small ships. I would not however, want to eliminate the possibility of HAL taking over a small(er) ship from another line (possible internal transfer) specifically to run the "Prinsendam routes/voyages"

1998 is quite a while ago and that captain was more than likely "towing the company's line" at that time. Things have obviously changed since then

• Like 2

On 4/7/2019 at 4:06 PM, Himself said:

I wonder if it will be redesned life boat location so it can legally go through the Panama Canal

At todays Mariner lunch on kdm, Capt Darin confirmed that Ryndam 4 will be a Panamax vessel!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

My personal opinion; and this is speculation of course; I don't see HAL building any more small ships. I would not however, want to eliminate the possibility of HAL taking over a small(er) ship from another line (possible internal transfer) specifically to run the "Prinsendam routes/voyages"

1998 is quite a while ago and that captain was more than likely "towing the company's line" at that time. Things have obviously changed since then

Perhaps he was drinking the Company line. However Carnival had other ideas for HAL.

15 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

At todays Mariner lunch on kdm, Capt Darin confirmed that Ryndam 4 will be a Panamax vessel!

Thanks for confirming what the CD said a few weeks ago on the NS.  He said it during his interview with Captain Noel O'Driscoll.

30 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

The other two pinnacles are panamax also however, the issue the PCA has is with the lifeboats partially "hanging overboard" meaning they also partially hang over the walls of the locks. They don't like that

1 minute ago, Copper10-8 said:

The other two pinnacles are panamax also however, the issue the PCA has is with the lifeboats partially "hanging overboard" meaning they also partially hang over the walls of the locks. They don't like that

I will try to get confirmation from him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

I agree that using one of the Seabourne ships would be more likely and a better fit for a Prinsendam replacement. 

30 minutes ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

I agree that using one of the Seabourne ships would be more likely and a better fit for a Prinsendam replacement. 

The current Seabourn vessels are all recent and will not leave the fleet for years to come, plus, they are a yacht concept, not at all comparable with HAL.

the former, original Seabourn ships are now with Windstar and are of the same age as Prinsendam ( Star Legend being the youngest , from 1992).

My guess is that the Rotterdam will take over the Prinsendams duties. They already taken the Rotterdam out of Tampa winter sailings so her Caribbean cruises are gone after this year. Carnival wants bigger ships and my guess is that after the Pinnacle class is done Carnival will build bigger for HAL. Just look at Princess, they went from ships with 2000+ passengers to 3500 + and now will have 4000+ passenger ships . I expect the new Princess ships will be the future of HAL. I hope I’m wrong, but Carnival is all about big and all about cockie cutter ships.

2 hours ago, Despegue said:

The current Seabourn vessels are all recent and will not leave the fleet for years to come, plus, they are a yacht concept, not at all comparable with HAL.

the former, original Seabourn ships are now with Windstar and are of the same age as Prinsendam ( Star Legend being the youngest , from 1992).

Seabourn currently has five ships with the oldest joining in 2009 and the youngest just about one year ago. They have two more ships designed for expeditions on order. Even though both operations have been allowed to continue to run separately, Seabourn moved into HAL's Seattle HQ in 2011, there is a lot of cross-manning between the two lines going on, and their current president is a former HAL vice-president. If HAL wanted to ((with Carnival Corp's blessings and if it would make sense from a $$$ standpoint), it would be very easy to internally transfer one of those five ships over to HAL in order for them to run a "Prinsendam II" operation. It would beat taking over a 1999-built ship like Pacific Princess/R Three

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

plus, they are a yacht concept, not at all comparable with HAL.

HAL is trying the EXC concept on the Maasdam and, from what I understand, it's working.   Why not use a Seabourn's ship "yacht concept"--which I am assuming you are referring to the aft Marina recreation area on their ships--as another new HAL concept for Prinsendam III?  

Being a "Prinsendam", such a vessel will appeal to those who want another cruise on such a ship.  With this new aft Marina recreation area, another demographic group might be enticed to sail the Prinsendam.

2 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Just a heads up, the quote you quoted in post #97 is not my quote! It came from esteemed poster as well as Boeing 747 Captain from Belgium, Monsieur Despeque :classic_wink:

Yes, I picked up the comment from the wrong post.  Forgive me, please.