HAL New Reservation Transfer Policy 8 Apr 2019

DeltaBreeze

Just now, DeltaBreeze said:

HAL changed it's reservation transfer policy today. 

Bookings need to be transferred within 60 days of the booking creation date. And to transfer, a form needs to be filled out and sent in for each booking.

Link to official announcement of policy change, please. 

2 minutes ago, drowelf said:

Link to official announcement of policy change, please. 

Personal Experience. 

Quote from HAL Personal Cruise Consultant: " I just got notice this morning our policy for booking transfers is changing.  Bookings need to be transferred within 60 days of the booking creation date.  The bookings you made with me were 2/26/19.    There is also a new form now that is required for transfer now."

Thank you for the update!  I think many of us have seen this coming.  Celebrity has this policy, and it was recently instituted by Princess.  Thinking aloud....I guess the reservation process must impact the PCC's more than we thought, otherwise why would it be changing?  

4 minutes ago, oceanmom said:

Are those of us who made a reservation more than 60 days ago grandfathered or are we out of luck?

I just talked to my PCC and asked that question. She couldn't get to the person she needed to so sent an email. She will let me know what she finds out. Suggest everyone do the same thing.

Edited by richwmn

38 minutes ago, DeltaBreeze said:

HAL changed its reservation transfer policy today. 

Bookings need to be transferred within 60 days of the booking creation date. 

Please help me understand.  Is a transfer a switch from one cruise to a completely different one without penalty, before final payment?

Or does this refer to changing a booking to improve benefits -- eg pick up gratuities or a drink pkg?

We stick with a cruise choice once booked but frequently request an enhanced pkg.  when a better one comes along.

I understand the 'no change' policy after final booking.

On any line we choose to sail, we always book within the first month or two of its release to get the best cabin within our price range.  Somewhere along the way we have it rebooked for a better offer often more than 60 days later.

Ruth

28 minutes ago, FlorenceItaly said:

I guess the reservation process must impact the PCC's more than we thought, otherwise why would it be changing?  

Aren't PCCs supposed to be involved in the reservation process?  I'm confused by your comment, I'm sorry 🙂 Can you clarify it for me please?

Geez, once again HAL fails to impress me with their communications 😞  They managed to send me email over the weekend telling me that a cruise we have booked for 400+ days from now won't have Club HAL (despite us never taking our kids cruising, and not having them on this booking).... wouldn't you think they could let the BOOKED GUESTS know this themselves?  Sheesh.

5 minutes ago, VennDiagram said:

Aren't PCCs supposed to be involved in the reservation process?  I'm confused by your comment, I'm sorry 🙂 Can you clarify it for me please?

I don't articulate well, but, I will try.  Thanks for your patience.  Many who use PCC's have posted that the PCC's have stated there is no impact on them if they book with them, and then transfer the booking to an outside TA.

It seems there must be some impact due to the change in policy.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, FlorenceItaly said:

I don't articulate well, but, I will try.  Thanks for your patience.  Many who use PCC's have posted that the PCC's have stated there is no impact on them if they book with them, and then transfer the booking to an outside TA.

My guess is that senior managers realize a certain number of passengers use the PCCs to maybe research, plan, and then book a cruise only to transfer the booking to some external TA for added benefits.   They’re not quite ready to stop that practice but they can make it a bit more complicated and limit the window of engagement with the PCC.   Actually makes sense.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, FlorenceItaly said:

You could very well be correct!  HAL ends up paying the TA (who until this change probably hasn't had to do a lot while the pax take up the time of the PCC....)

30 minutes ago, Randyk47 said:

My guess is that senior managers realize a certain number of passengers use the PCCs to maybe research, plan, and then book a cruise only to transfer the booking to some external TA for added benefits.   They’re not quite ready to stop that practice but they can make it a bit more complicated and limit the window of engagement with the PCC.   Actually makes sense.

I agree that it makes sense. HAL is paying the PCCs and until now giving the TA a commission for doing essentially nothing. Most have their reservation set prior to transfer. However, it would have been nice if some kind of notice had been given

• Like 1

This is the reply from my PCC: "As a company we would like guests if they know they are going to transfer their booking to a particular agency to book with them from the beginning so you have continuity of service."

They said the new policy was the industry standard. I guess I won't be booking early anymore.

4 minutes ago, richwmn said:

I agree that it makes sense. HAL is paying the PCCs and until now giving the TA a commission for doing essentially nothing. Most have their reservation set prior to transfer. However, it would have been nice if some kind of notice had been given

I agree that they should make the policy effective for all new bookings after a certain date.   I suppose for existing bookings that they could  notify the passenger of the new policy and give them 60 days to transfer the booking if that is the intent.   Doesn’t seem fair to cut somebody off from transferring their booking without forewarning.   

• Like 1

I just talked to an agent at SeattleBigBox to see what the current offer would be if I could transfer. I asked him not to follow up with HAL yet, but he did anyway and called back to say that his contacts at HAL told him that the policy has not changed.

I know that you can talk to 3 people at any big company and get 3 different answers. Just passing on his info.

1 minute ago, DeltaBreeze said:

This is the reply from my PCC: "As a company we would like guests if they know they are going to transfer their booking to a particular agency to book with them from the beginning so you have continuity of service."

They said the new policy was the industry standard. I guess I won't be booking early anymore.

Wonderful corporate speak for “Don’t waste our time.”   🤔😀 Again I can’t say I blame them.   As a more Internet savvy clientele start cruising it’s much more likely they’d be using external agencies but don’t mind doing their research with a cruise line PCC.  Kind of the best of both worlds.   I stopped using cruise line PCCs years ago but I still book early especially if it is a unique itinerary to destinations/areas we want to visit.  My external TA has no fees or penalties for cancelling a booking so I don’t see a risk.

49 minutes ago, Randyk47 said:

We totally agree.  It seems unfair to the PCC to have done most of the work in preparing the cruise and transfer it.  We do not know how it effects the PCC or the TA commission wise, but as we said it seems unfair no matter.

• Like 1

I booked a specific cruise while onboard the Koningsdam , I am going to transfer my reservation to my TA, assuming since I just booked the specific cruise onboard and did not use the PCC with HAL, this would not apply to me, correct?

Edited by doone

3 minutes ago, doone said:

I booked a specific cruise while onboard, I am going to transfer my reservation to my TA, assuming since I just booked the specific cruise onboard this would not apply to me, correct?

Just make sure you transfer it within 60 days, or it will. 

2 minutes ago, doone said:

I booked a specific cruise while onboard, I am going to transfer my reservation to my TA, assuming since I just booked the specific cruise onboard this would not apply to me, correct?

I’d check.  While we’ve been talking about transferring a booking from a PCC to an external TA it could apply to any booking made directly with the cruise line through whatever method.   Better safe than sorry.   Might not apply at all or it could and the 60-day clock started when you booked on the ship.  

Does it also apply if I book with one outside TA and then want to change to another?   The TA I have used since 1995 is getting out of the business the end of the year and I have 2 cruises booked with her in 2020/2021 and it has been more than 60 days since these were booked>

9 minutes ago, iflyrc5 said:

Does it also apply if I book with one outside TA and then want to change to another?   The TA I have used since 1995 is getting out of the business the end of the year and I have 2 cruises booked with her in 2020/2021 and it has been more than 60 days since these were booked>

I’d think that would not count as the bookings weren’t made directly with HAL but with an external TA.  Seems to me your first stop is your present TA and see what she has planned for her clients.  Hopefully she doesn’t plan to leave you high and dry for up to two years without representation.   Might also talk to a different TA and see if they’d be willing to take on another TA’s bookings.   

Edited by Randyk47