Elite Benefits in Lounge Happy Hour

geordielass

Well there does not seem to be any worries about chair hogs the last couple of cruises that I went to this event. There was almost no one there. The most people at any one time was less than 20.

This is one area where Princess cuts really do not make any sense. I would rather have lots of people drinking BOGO, than almost no one drinking full price.

We tried the new drinks. Meh. There is no way this is making Princess money!

P.S. All the good threads keep getting removed.

So sorry the mention of "chair-saving" got everyone so upset.   It really doesn't matter now, cause no more Happy Hour; but the truth is that our group chair-saving was only for about 5 min at the most!   We (7-10 people) came to HH from various locations on in the ship & we were all there within 5 minutes around the time it started!!   FAR FAR different than pool chair-saving....

A separate point:   Holland (sister company to Princess) still has Happy Hour BOGO+$2.   OK, Princess, why not bring it back to your sailings????

Maybe Princess using it to help pay for this dang new-fangled (unnecessary) Ocean Medallion!   

On our January HAL cruise, the CD had Happy Hour and Trivia at same exact time in 2 different lounges far apart!!  We were real upset with this -- used to be an hour apart in same location, later on these 2 started 1/2 hour apart.   Tried to go to Trivia 1st & afterwards go to HH, but the Cruise Director who ran Trivia was always either 15 min or 20 min or 1/2 hour late to Trivia.  1st day he didn't even show up!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cruisin Kay D said:

A separate point:   Holland (sister company to Princess) still has Happy Hour BOGO+$2.   OK, Princess, why not bring it back to your sailings????

Maybe Princess using it to help pay for this dang new-fangled (unnecessary) Ocean Medallion!   

On our January HAL cruise, the CD had Happy Hour and Trivia at same exact time in 2 different lounges far apart!!  We were real upset with this -- used to be an hour apart in same location, later on these 2 started 1/2 hour apart.   Tried to go to Trivia 1st & afterwards go to HH, but the Cruise Director who ran Trivia was always either 15 min or 20 min or 1/2 hour late to Trivia.  1st day he didn't even show up!!

We have been on Princess when the HH and afternoon trivia were at the same time in the same location. Maybe the HH fans liked that, but for trivia teams it was hard to find seats. Also, those there for just HH had conversations loud enough that it was difficult to heat the trivia questions.

On 4/11/2019 at 1:44 AM, geordielass said:

Thanks for your response. I dont really think the perks are what makes me choose a certain cruise line and we dont usually use them especially lining up in a long line for the captains party but someone on the last cruise said there was a discount if you bought wine in the Plat/Elite cocktail party. 

We always order anything we want in the Captains party and have never had to pay.  Usually we get 2 Kulua (sp) and creams and walk to dinner with one.  I had no idea you had to pay for a glass of wine.

2 hours ago, myjillian said:

We always order anything we want in the Captains party and have never had to pay.  Usually we get 2 Kulua (sp) and creams and walk to dinner with one.  I had no idea you had to pay for a glass of wine.

Apparently his thread is confusing as posters have talked about 3 different events. 

There is the Platinum, Elite, and Suite passengers cocktail event held most days for a couple or hours. 

Then there are posts about the discontinued Happy Hour event where any passenger could buy one drink and get another of the same drink for $1.

Finally, myjillian's post seems to be referring to the Captains' Circle Party where the drinks are free and the bottles of champagne are given away. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nukesubsailor said:

Apparently his thread is confusing as posters have talked about 3 different events. 

There is the Platinum, Elite, and Suite passengers cocktail event held most days for a couple or hours. 

Then there are posts about the discontinued Happy Hour event where any passenger could buy one drink and get another of the same drink for $1.

Finally, myjillian's post seems to be referring to the Captains' Circle Party where the drinks are free and the bottles of champagne are given away. 

Your correct...thank you for putting them in order☺️

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2019 at 4:23 AM, myjillian said:

Hi I was referring to the nightly Platinum and Elite get together usually at 5 pm . I think everything is free at the Captains party.

On 4/14/2019 at 1:01 PM, Cruisin Kay D said:

If the BOGO is followed immediately by Trivia in the same location it makes it extremely hard for the Trivia players to get seating as the BOGO folks linger - and talk loudly which is a separate issue. I once had a woman SHHHHSSH me and another person quite severely. The BOGO had just finished and Trivia had started. The other passenger - a stranger to me - was talking to me quite loudly. I found it embarrassing to be part of the issue. I wasn't being loud but the other guy responded that he would do whatever he wanted. I left immediately as that is not an attitude to which I subscribe. The, "It's MY cruise and I'll do what I like!" attitude is, in my opinion, a problem.

On 4/14/2019 at 10:27 PM, caribill said:

We have been on Princess when the HH and afternoon trivia were at the same time in the same location. Maybe the HH fans liked that, but for trivia teams it was hard to find seats. Also, those there for just HH had conversations loud enough that it was difficult to heat the trivia questions.

We've never experienced the BOGO and Trivia at exactly the same time. That sounds totally unworkable and the result of very poor activity planning by the staff. I can't imagine how that would work.

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

If the BOGO is followed immediately by Trivia in the same location it makes it extremely hard for the Trivia players to get seating as the BOGO folks linger - and talk loudly which is a separate issue. I once had a woman SHHHHSSH me and another person quite severely. The BOGO had just finished and Trivia had started. The other passenger - a stranger to me - was talking to me quite loudly. I found it embarrassing to be part of the issue. I wasn't being loud but the other guy responded that he would do whatever he wanted. I left immediately as that is not an attitude to which I subscribe. The, "It's MY cruise and I'll do what I like!" attitude is, in my opinion, a problem.

We've never experienced the BOGO and Trivia at exactly the same time. That sounds totally unworkable and the result of very poor activity planning by the staff. I can't imagine how that would work.

When we have had this on a Grand class ship (aft lounge on deck 7), it was a mess.

When we have done this on the smaller Pacific Princess (lounge) it was OK as the number of trivia players was small and only needed a small area of this big lounge.

On 4/11/2019 at 7:41 AM, paul929207 said:

There are a few (8 or so) drinks that are "on special" for the E/P/S cocktail party. None of them appeal to me. So, if I don't have the beverage package, I just order what I want.

Yes, agree.  We decided one afternoon to try the "special" drink and it was nothing to text home about.

On 4/14/2019 at 8:14 AM, CruzenDoc said:

The food is most often unimpressive and unimaginative,

I will second that. I love it when they list Onion Rings on the menu and it turns out to be slices of raw red onion. Riiiiiiiigggghhhttttttt...

The only drink I get from their "special" menu is the Aztec Mule. (Moscow Mule made with Tequila instead of Vodka.

I really used to like going to this event.  When it first started, only a handful of people showed up but then it became extremely popular, especially before they switched up the traditional dining times.  I guess they wanted to pare down the crowds and it seemed to have worked well for Princess ... not so much for the PES passengers.  

I still like the snacks they serve but didn't see my favorite Stilton Cheese with a Port Wine Reduction.  However, I love the guac and chips and they always have some nice vegetables and cheeses.  I don't really like what they did on the new drink menu, though.  I sure wish they would add a glass of wine to the list.  They even ruined the port wine option they used to offer by mixing it with lemonade.  Gross!! 

If you are going with a group, it is still a wonderful pre-dinner meeting spot.  

Now, when I go, I just get a beer off the regular bar menu.  It is actually about the same price as the PES menu but I could get the same pricing at any bar throughout the ship.   I only attended once on my last sailing, which was on the Royal.  There was only one small table open and it was right in the pathway in Club6.  So many people used this short cut as a thoroughfare and no indication that the room was closed for this nightly event.  Kids kept running by our table so it wasn't a very enjoyable / relaxing environment ....so we didn't return.  It was a spring break cruise, though so it might have been a little more controlled during non-holiday sailings.  

I love the elite happy hour they have on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean ... worlds above what Princess offers ... not that I am looking a gift horse in the mouth.  

56 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

On my last two cruises, one on the Grand and one on the Royal, the time was changed to 4:30 - 6:30 PM to accommodate the earlier dining times.  

Same time on the Emerald in January when the early dining was at 5:15 and the late at 7:30.

Just now, caribill said:

Samer time on the Emerald in January when the early dining was at 5:15 and the late at 7:30.

Our dining times were changed to 5 PM and 7: 45 PM.  Why the changes over what they offer when we booked?  Who knows??  

1 minute ago, Cruise Raider said:

Our dining times were changed to 5 PM and 7: 45 PM.  Why the changes over what they offer when we booked?  Who knows??  

The times in the Personalizer have never reflected the actual times on the ships unless by coincidence.

Booking are available up to over 18 months in advance of embarkation and actual dining times might not be established  until much closer to sailing.

We were on one B2B where the Personalizer said 8 PM for second seating for both segments. Actual times turned out to be 7:45 for the first segment and 8:15 for the second segment. At least the average was 8 PM.

The Personalizer times were never accurate before they were changed to times last year and should not be considered accurate after the changes.

2 minutes ago, caribill said:

The times in the Personalizer have never reflected the actual times on the ships unless by coincidence.

Booking are available up to over 18 months in advance of embarkation and actual dining times might not be established  until much closer to sailing.

We were on one B2B where the Personalizer said 8 PM for second seating for both segments. Actual times turned out to be 7:45 for the first segment and 8:15 for the second segment. At least the average was 8 PM.

The Personalizer times were never accurate before they were changed to times last year and should not be considered accurate after the changes.

I didn't realize that ... thanks!!  I must have been thinking of other lines where it has been accurate in the past.  And, you had 15 minutes to get into the dining room and the doors were closed.  Kind of miss that!  5 PM is way too early and 7:45 PM is way too late ... for us, at least, so we are left with anytime dining, which is anything but anytime now.  Oh well ... it is just one factor of the cruise that doesn't influence every single aspect of my overall experience.  

2 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

5 PM is way too early and 7:45 PM is way too late ... for us, at least, so we are left with anytime dining

Same here. Our next 3 cruises are booked as ATD because of the time changes.

• Like 1